IGNORED

Altirra 4.10 released

phaeron

1 hour ago, LessNick said:

If I understood correctly, then the disk is not bootable and cannot be loaded in any way on a real ATARI with OS-B?

It has nothing to do with OS-B, it's a data disk so just won't work on its own.

The Print Shop needs to be loaded first and it's perfectly compatible with OS-B. Choose the "Letterhead" option which will enable you to insert another disk and access the files.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phaeron said:

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test1.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test1-src.7z

• Save state rework:
    • Added Covox, R-Time 8, U1MB, VBXE, and XEP80 save state support.
    • Added partial SIDE 1/2, SIDE 3, MyIDE, and BlackBox save state support. Save states will not work if saved during a disk transfer; there is now a warning if a save state is attempted during one.
    • Axlon and 65C816 high (linear) memory are now saved.
    • Fixed a bug with SKSTAT not being saved properly, which caused stuck keys.
    • Fixed some extended memory not saving properly in 128K and 320K modes.
    • Fixed DP register not being saved in 65C816 mode.
    • Added thumbnails to save state files. They are not used in the emulator yet, however.
  • Updated file association registration:
    • The placeholder app registration created by Explorer is removed on registration to get rid of the duplicate app entry.
    • Fixed an issue where the Windows shell might not be updated immediately after changing file type registrations.
    • There are now command-line switches to have the emulator register or unregister file types in silent mode.
    • Added a dialog explaining how to navigate the brain-dead Windows 10/11 Default Apps settings UI.
  • Debugger: It is now possible to escape a symbol name that starts with @, e.g. #@current.
  • Debugger: VBXE blit logging/dumping now has a compact display mode, and the .vbxe_bl command can now dump a blit list at any local address.
  • Debugger: Zero page addresses are now loaded from CC65 debug info.
  • Cassette: Added data-as-audio playback support for raw FSK and PWM blocks in .cas files. There are some harmonics from turbo tapes when doing this due to jitter from the 10KHz resolution in raw .cas blocks which appears hard to filter out; Altirra's internal tape precision is 31KHz but a pulse adjustment pass would be needed to take advantage of that.
  • Input: Fixed POT lines being grounded improperly when binding a digital (binary) input to the analog paddle knob.
  • Cartridge: Fixed the Phoenix and Blizzard cartridge types to also disable the cart on CCTL reads.
  • Cartridge: Added support for the Williams 16K cartridge type.

thank you very much, now Joy 2B+ is running smoothly in this version. 😍

image.png.519e5a3aa97ec670b65d4d76a836788b.png

7 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Remember to add Turbo support in the Cassette section of configure system, then find the right Turbo loader to load these, @baktra is s the person for the answer here, he / she is our cassette guru, I don't have much of a care for cassettes..   :)

In general, the set of steps is the following:

1. Setup the cassette emulation System>Configure System... > Cassette - select the desired emulated turbo system and turbo decoding algorithm. Disable the cassette auto boot too.

2. Insert the cartridge with the turbo loader, let the loader to initialize. If the loader comes as .xex file, boot that file.

3. Insert the WAVE file/tape image - File > Cassette > Load ...

4. Command the turbo loader to start loading (how depends on the loader)

5. The loader loads the file. Altirra's OSD should keep displaying the position in the tape and indicate if turbo loading is activated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baktra said:

4. Command the turbo loader to start loading (how depends on the loader)

I don't understand this point. What other command should start the play if I haven't selected the cassette image yet?

And why can't I manually press the "Play" button and start playback?

image.thumb.png.90f7eb5c5de8d0ea098f39524d459839.png  image.thumb.png.bfea275eda731a4c8e5093e3e83aaca6.png 

I insert "Turbo 2000.rom" cartridge, selected the cassette image "Boulder dash II.wav" and… And that's it, nothing else happens, I can't press anything.

2 hours ago, baktra said:

5. The loader loads the file. Altirra's OSD should keep displaying the position in the tape and indicate if turbo loading is activated.

We don't even get to this point.

image.thumb.png.b111c8b7f1042685b633ef718dff80d8.png

Just in case, the cassette settings

Edited by LessNick

14 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

PS @phaeron, Williams 16K carts?

I have one that's 16K, a proto of Blaster, but I'm sure that worked before...It's the only 16K Williams cart I have (well that is named as one, I may have others with no naming?, care to name / point out some please?

I don't have any currently, it was by request from someone else who had one.

Hello again! Another day, another question investigation :D

Dear @phaeron, this time a serious question.

How to correctly specify an argument on the command line to open a file in a zip archive?

[ ↓↓↓ Solution found below ↓↓↓ ]

For example, I have the "Additions.atr" file packed into the "Additions.zip" archive.

I tried to specify only the name, since the file is located next to Altirra64.exe, and also indicate the full path to the file

Altirra64.exe /disk zip://Additions.zip!Additions.atr

Altirra64.exe zip://E:/Emu/Atari/Altirra/Additions.zip!Additions.atr

but the result is the same error: "Cannot  open the file "zip:". The file name , directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

However, if we open the zip file directly in Altirra itself, we see that the full path is same:

image.thumb.png.7be3c6df92eeb12b0214f43a29d43b44.png

I was wondering what Altirra is trying to do that is causing the windows error.

To do this, I launched the Sysinternals ProcMon utility and saw a strange call:

image.thumb.png.a5880fbaba000bbcf14b2e3e8bd91da1.png

Based on this, I concluded that windows incorrectly passes the argument string itself to the altirra.exe executable file.

And my suspicions were confirmed, it is enough to specify the argument in quotation marks and everything began to work fine.

Altirra.exe /disk "zip://E:/Emu/Atari/Altirra/Additions.zip!Additions.atr"

Altirra.exe /disk "zip://Additions.zip!Additions.atr"

I think that this nuance must be specified in help, which is opened with the "/?"

ps. I suspect it's because of the colon, windows treats it as a device (like  the old dos abbreviations COM: LPT:) and fails to find it.

Edited by LessNick
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, LessNick said:

I don't understand this point. What other command should start the play if I haven't selected the cassette image yet?

And why can't I manually press the "Play" button and start playback?

I insert "Turbo 2000.rom" cartridge, selected the cassette image "Boulder dash II.wav" and… And that's it, nothing else happens, I can't press anything.

We don't even get to this point.

Just in case, the cassette settings

I would like to help, I would need both files (the ROM and the .WAV file).

You cannot just press PLAY, because as with the real hardware, pressing play does nothing until the computer sets the MOTOR CTRL signal to active (the loader is supposed to do that after you command it to load a file).

Also, to avoid confusion, there are three systems loosely named "Turbo 2000". They use different loaders and file formats. I would need to determine which one you are about to use.

1. Turbo 2000 from JRC, Prague, Czechoslovakia

2. KSO Turbo 2000, Warsaw, Poland

3. Turbo 2000, Wrocław, Poland

4. Turbo 2001, Turbo 2000F, Poland. Derivatives/Iterations of the KSO Turbo 2000

• Like 1

5 hours ago, popmilo said:

Awesome work @phaeron ! You're the best :)

Can you please explain how to use "Debugger: VBXE blit logging/dumping now has a compact display mode," ?

There are 3 switches for ".vbxe_traceblits" - on, off, and compactmode.

Well - there were.  but now when I just tried it, I only get on and off.  Still using 4.20 test 1.  What the heck?

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 11:35 AM, Mclaneinc said:

PS @phaeron, Williams 16K carts?

I have one that's 16K, a proto of Blaster, but I'm sure that worked before...It's the only 16K Williams cart I have (well that is named as one, I may have others with no naming?, care to name / point out some please?

Heh, that's was my request - I still have a stash of unsorted cartridge images from the past. I'm sure all three I have are from Video61: Dinky-Do, Midas Maze and Mr. Robot.

The "Turbo 2000.rom" cartridge is an image of a cartridge equipped with a power button. It holds some weird version of the Polish KSO Turbo 2000 system.

Therefore, after attaching the cartridge and performing a cold start, you will see the "Czekaj...." label until you detach the cartridge. Then it will start to respond. Of course, to detach it, you must first set Altirra not to perform the cold start when changing cartridges. After detaching, the loader will ask you if you want to enable BASIC. Then a menu appears. You can select the L option and enter D:* as a file name and press Return. Then you can load your tape. I was not able to load a normal KSO Turbo 2000 file, though.

10 hours ago, Stephen said:
16 hours ago, popmilo said:

Awesome work @phaeron ! You're the best :)

Can you please explain how to use "Debugger: VBXE blit logging/dumping now has a compact display mode," ?

There are 3 switches for ".vbxe_traceblits" - on, off, and compactmode.

Well - there were.  but now when I just tried it, I only get on and off.  Still using 4.20 test 1.  What the heck?

@popmilo use ".vbxe_traceblits compact" without the quotes.  The output will change from

Normal:

Altirra> .vbxe_traceblits on
VBXE blit tracing is currently on.
(7144:259, 67) VBXE: Starting new blit at $00115:
  Source: $40000 Xinc=+1 Yinc=+256
  Dest:   $20000 Xinc=+1 Yinc=+256
  Size:   16 x 16
  Masks:  AND=$FF, XOR=$00, COLL=$00
  Zoom:   1 x 1
  Patt:   disabled
  Mode:   1 (Overlay)
(7144:259, 67) VBXE: Blit list completed
(7144:260, 18) VBXE: Starting new blit at $0012A:
  Source: $20000 Xinc=+1 Yinc=+256
  Dest:   $40000 Xinc=+1 Yinc=+256
  Mode:   0 (Copy)
(7144:260, 18) VBXE: Blit list completed
(7144:261,  6) VBXE: Starting new blit at $0013F:
  Source: $01000 Xinc=+1 Yinc=+256
  Dest:   $20000 Xinc=+1 Yinc=+256
  Mode:   1 (Overlay)
(7144:261, 16) VBXE: Blit list completed

Compact:

VBXE: Starting new blit at $00115:    Overlay   16x16   [$40000,  +1, +256]          ->  [$2129A,  +1, +256]
(7592:  4, 16) VBXE: Blit list completed
VBXE: Starting new blit at $0012A:       Copy   16x16   [$2129A,  +1, +256]          ->  [$40000,  +1, +256]
(7592:  5, 16) VBXE: Blit list completed
VBXE: Starting new blit at $0013F:    Overlay   16x16   [$010A0,  +1, +256]          ->  [$2129A,  +1, +256]
(7592:  5, 67) VBXE: Blit list completed

• Thanks 1

@phaeronis it possible do pipe the debug console output to a file?  I am wanting to do something like ".vbxe_traceblits on | "C:\Test\out.txt"" so that I can grab the output of my post above, and have it log to a file.  I tried | and >> but get an "Extraneous argument:" error.

22 minutes ago, Stephen said:

@phaeronis it possible do pipe the debug console output to a file?  I am wanting to do something like ".vbxe_traceblits on | "C:\Test\out.txt"" so that I can grab the output of my post above, and have it log to a file.  I tried | and >> but get an "Extraneous argument:" error.

You can't redirect individual commands, you can only redirect all debugger output (.logopen/.logclose).

• Thanks 2

Dear @phaeron,
Once again, thank you very much for this new version, now the 4.10!
I don't buy much software anymore but this is exactly the kind of software I would buy with great pleasure.
I know your constraints for a donation... but, well, until then:
- how can we express our gratitude for all this work for so long?
- how can we help?

It's not fair because it's always the same way: you work, we benefit.
Ask us for something...

• Like 4

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test2.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test2-src.7z

• VBXE blit logging uses beam tagged logging again.
  • Command line parsing changed for better consistency: switches now must be separate arguments and are no longer allowed combined with other switches or arguments, e.g. "test.atr/s/f" must now be "test.atr /s /f".
  • Added special:// protocol to access some internal images, including special://basic.car to bind to current default BASIC cartridge.
  • Added support for enhanced Deflate (a.k.a. Deflate64(tm)) in .zip files.
  • The currently selected output is saved in save states when multiple outputs are active (i.e. XEP80).
  • Added MIO save state support.
  • Fixed an MIO issue with initial interrupt state that could cause a hang at boot.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:59 PM, ldelsarte said:

Dear @phaeron,
Once again, thank you very much for this new version, now the 4.10!
I don't buy much software anymore but this is exactly the kind of software I would buy with great pleasure.
I know your constraints for a donation... but, well, until then:
- how can we express our gratitude for all this work for so long?
- how can we help?

It's not fair because it's always the same way: you work, we benefit.
Ask us for something...

I'm glad that you find the emulator useful and would like to contribute. There are a number of things that could be done on the emulator for which the main bottleneck is simply me getting around to do various things. This is also compounded by the lone way that I do things on the emulator itself. But I will admit that I don't have a ready list of things that others could help with. Off the top of my head, some things that come to mind:

• Would be nice to get confirmation of the PERCOM side 2 mystery, where it appears that all versions of the firmware calculate side 2 sectors incorrectly. The most definitive proof would be a Kryoflux or SCP image of a double-sided disk formatted and filled to side 2 on a PERCOM drive. But failing that, some tests determining whether all 1440 sectors on side 2 are actually accessible would also be useful.
  • The recent VBXE issue with apparent bleed-through of ANTIC hires data through an overlay that should have priority could use some investigation on the real hardware.
  • If anyone knows how a PAL receiver reacts hue-wise to a swinging colorburst that isn't aligned to +/-45 degrees, I'd be interested.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, phaeron said:

If anyone knows how a PAL receiver reacts hue-wise to a swinging colorburst that isn't aligned to +/-45 degrees, I'd be interested.

I'd help if I even understood what that meant :)

Joking aside Avery, even if a lot of the stuff goes above some of our heads, we appreciate the fact you put your time in to make the emulator the best it can be..

9 hours ago, phaeron said:

The recent VBXE issue with apparent bleed-through of ANTIC hires data through an overlay that should have priority could use some investigation on the real hardware.

I can assist with some test code - can you provide any details about this issue, or a link to an example perhaps?

• Thanks 1