IGNORED

Altirra 4.10 released

phaeron

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test7.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test7-src.7z

• Math pack symbols can be unloaded separately in the debugger to avoid conflicting with PBI firmware.
  • Added static trace PBI (stp) command.
  • Fixed basic block detection when disassembling 8048 code.
  • Fixed a bug with bogus $01 banks showing up in 8048 mode.
  • Fixed data bank showing up with PEI (dp) indirection preview.
  • Added option to reinterleave floppy disks at 2:1.
  • Added firmware detection for the two known versions of the 1400XL V:/T: firmware.
  • Added support for drive/side selection on 1450XLD drive, and workaround for boot sector encoding issue.

Revision F or newer 1450XLD handler firmware is now required for the TONG controller, as the rev. E handler will get stuck on the non-installed D2-D4:.

With this update, the two-sided mode of the original controller will now work, as documented in the Intro to DOS 3 manual -- D1: and D2: will now refer to the first and second sides. The TONG controller does not implement this, as instead it supports DSDD operation. However, the DSDD layout is not compatible with the XF551 on side 2, as it allocates tracks forward with sectors backward, instead of both tracks and sectors backward.

The TONG controller will now also boot double density, but there is a significant odd incompatibility that the emulator papers over. For some reason, it stores the boot sectors in the last half of the sector instead of the first half. The result is that if you try to boot a disk that has been formatted with another double-density drive like the US Doubler, the TONG controller won't be able to boot it properly. The emulator remaps the boot sectors on a decoded format like ATR to the layout that the 1450XLD expects so double density can actually be used, but it can still fail if you use a format like ATX that can actually store the full physical boot sectors.

I did some tests with the 1450XLD controller and different interleaves, and it is indeed fast -- in single density, it can keep up with a 2:1 interleave. Double density is a bit slower and needs more like a 3:1 or 4:1, but is still faster than many SIO-based disk drives even with high-speed operation and track buffering. It's doubtful that it could have kept up with a 1:1 interleave even with rewritten controller firmware, though -- the timing for this would have been too tight without track buffering due to the separate read/transfer stages.

As for the V:/T: handler firmware versions, they are virtually the same, with CRC32 5EC3EC7D being the slightly newer firmware. The T: handler has a fix for an IRQ reentrancy issue in the interrupt handler, while the V: handler has a fix for an additional character encoding (not sure about the details yet).

Edited by phaeron
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Just a quick question for any 4.1.x versions: When I use some cmdline switches, or run .bas program, the configuration of machine is stored and changed for subsequent runs. I don't like this, I want the switch to have only temporary effect. I can't find it anywhere. Emu is in 'registry' mode.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jindroush said:

Just a quick question for any 4.1.x versions: When I use some cmdline switches, or run .bas program, the configuration of machine is stored and changed for subsequent runs. I don't like this, I want the switch to have only temporary effect. I can't find it anywhere. Emu is in 'registry' mode.

/tempprofile disables saving settings changes back to the profile.

• Like 1

I still not understand how to recognized by your latest release for 1400XL and 1450XLD ROM ? Test 7 released, still failed to noticed there are actually rom's files with 1400XL and 1450XLD. Configure system then click firmware then show me the balloon lists. And still NOT showing any 1400XL or 1400XLD , just normal all release Atari 8 bits. Help me ...

Yes, I placed lovely 1400XL.bin and 1450XLD.bin under ROM folder.  Still not showing and click on that rom (1400XL).

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test8.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test8-src.7z

• 1400XL internal device is now visible and configurable for modem settings.
  • Added pulse and tone dialing detection so the emulator can now tell when a number is being dialed. This is only implemented for the 1400XL right now, but will be extended to the 1030.
  • 1400XL internal audio control is now implemented.
  • Fixed BRL instruction using the wrong bank for symbol lookup.

The 1400XL and 1030 do tone dialing by coupling the Atari's audio output to the phone line and then play the DTMF tones with 4-bit volume only audio through POKEY. It's not the highest quality, but it is good enough. The tricky part is that this meant that the emulator couldn't tell if or what was being tone dialed without doing DTMF detection on the audio, Altirra now has both pulse and tone dialing detectors and can actually tell what number is being dialed, although that information isn't used yet -- it still just "dials" the dial proxy address.

The DTMF detector was a bit involved, it required downsampling to 8KHz and running a filter bank to compare the power in the DTMF tones versus the rest of the signal. The compiler did a bit of a crappy job in code generation for the filter, but it's still <1% CPU.

On 3/22/2023 at 4:35 AM, oo7 said:

Just noticed you have the wrong current version number still on the top left of your Altirra site.

I should just remove that, there's no real point.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:11 AM, Caterpiggle said:

I still not understand how to recognized by your latest release for 1400XL and 1450XLD ROM ? Test 7 released, still failed to noticed there are actually rom's files with 1400XL and 1450XLD. Configure system then click firmware then show me the balloon lists. And still NOT showing any 1400XL or 1400XLD , just normal all release Atari 8 bits. Help me ...

Yes, I placed lovely 1400XL.bin and 1450XLD.bin under ROM folder.  Still not showing and click on that rom (1400XL).

Altirra doesn't use filenames to detect ROM images, it works solely by the contents of the file. It will not detect the 1400XL/1450XLD OS ROM images because there currently aren't any firmware detection entries for them. There is also no category for these images because you can just run them as XL/XE OS images, and for at least some of them there isn't much reason to run them -- the XL/XE v2-v4 OSes will work fine with the 1400XL/1450XLD hardware without the compatibility issues, with the borderline gratuitous changes in at least early versions. I'll probably add firmware entries for them eventually but it isn't a high priority compared to the hardware emulation.

The 1400XL/1450XLD specific hardware images that are needed are the PBI handler (V:/T:) ROM, and the disk controller/handler ROMs for the 1450XLD. These are 8K ROM images and are autodetected by the firmware scan.

Also, you do need to add the ROM images in the Firmware Manager, either by Add or Scan. Altirra does not have a ROM folder and merely moving files to a folder location or specific name will not enable them for use.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Hello to you all,

I need an major help. How can I saved BASIC source code into BASIC Mode under DOS 2.5. Every time, I pasted basic program into BASIC mode. And I did saved "SAVE"D:TEST.BAS". And I quit Altirra software and come back to check disk image DOS 2.5 and guess what , it does not there "TEST.BAS". Nothing. I know I seen when I quit the Altirra software and it stated, it will not saved disk image if I quit.

"Any unsaved work in emulation memory will be lost. Are you sure ? ". So how can I overcome this issue on Altirra ?? 

Edited by Caterpiggle

14 minutes ago, Caterpiggle said:

Why Altirra always default when I launch the program. It said "VRWSafe" as DEFAULT ! So I HAVE TO MANUAL change to "R/W" all the time ! Thank you so MUCH ! FOR BIG TIP !  Now , it is working ! Whew ! 

Because you didn't change this option.

1938275874_MediaWriteMode.png.8aa6e84ade3ae8cab32b5771c52604aa.png

Hello MrFish,

I never seen this "Options" before. So now I know . What a pain ....

I understand Altirra has been continuing update a new patch version. So the software has been changed  .. you know what I mean .

Wow .... I never seen the mess before. Altirra WAS FORCED back to VRW by automatic ! When I was tried to deleted unwanted file.com and altirra was denied access ! Yes, I did SET-UP R/W even in options ! BUT IT JUST blew the tires off ! I think it would be MUCH easier if I deleted unwanted files.com on the REAL HARDWARE for good !

Edited by Caterpiggle

3 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

Wow .... I never seen the mess before. Altirra WAS FORCED back to VRW by automatic ! When I was tried to deleted unwanted file.com and altirra was denied access ! Yes, I did SET-UP R/W even in options ! BUT IT JUST blew the tires off ! I think it would be MUCH easier if I deleted unwanted files.com on the REAL HARDWARE for good !

Dear Caterpiggle,

We all have our favourite emulators and maybe Altirra is not the one for you?
Have you tried other emulators? Atari800 Win Plus? Atari 800? Rainbow? Wiz-Atari? Other? Perhaps another emulator would suit your habits and preferences better?
Another possibility: the Altirra source code is also available. If you are a developer, you could also consider making the changes you want yourself?

Personally, I'm very grateful to @phaeron for the hundreds of hours of work -- maybe more? -- that went into creating this free Altirra emulator. So my opinion is biased because I have been a fan of Altirra for many years: I cannot recommend an alternative. If it were possible, I would be delighted to be able to pay - and pay dearly - for this Altirra emulator which I find admirable. But I really understand that it doesn't fit your needs.

If you find another great alternative emulator, don't hesitate to share the information with us.

Have a nice day,

• Like 1

are you saying the emulation didn't make the changes to the disk even when default is set to do so? If yes something is setup up wrong or a bug.

if you think it didn't save because of warning message, you may find it did save... it's just a reminder that you should save your work before you power the emulation down.

• Like 1

@phaeron I've read the command line help twice, but I can't figure out, how, from outside, temporarily:
a] use different XL os rom

b] also use some device just for one run - for example, I'm running everything on 'plain vanilla XL' config, but for just one program I want to use VBXE.

Pre-configuring some profiles and then selecting them is not exactly the solution I'm looking for, though.

55 minutes ago, jindroush said:

@phaeron I've read the command line help twice, but I can't figure out, how, from outside, temporarily:
a] use different XL os rom

b] also use some device just for one run - for example, I'm running everything on 'plain vanilla XL' config, but for just one program I want to use VBXE.

Pre-configuring some profiles and then selecting them is not exactly the solution I'm looking for, though.

I'm afraid that currently the profile system is the only way you can effectively do this, because the firmware and device configuration systems have outgrown in complexity beyond what the command-line interface currently supports. There used to be a switch for VBXE, but it didn't support configuring it properly after a point, due to the addition of config parameters such as core version. Similarly, firmware has to be added to the firmware manager database before it can be used, which also complicates firmware selection. Many of these aren't just enabling options or selecting filenames anymore, there's configurable metadata associated with each of them.

I've thought about extending the command line to support some of this, but it's not clear whether this would be viable long-term compared to supporting profiles or profile subsets being exposed as separate files that can be selected or modified externally.

• Like 2

Hello to all ,

My apologies. I realized , it is on SOFTWARE, it is nothing do with altirra emulator. I forget to unlocked the files for .COM. Then deleted those unwanted files .com. Yes, it comes with star symbol that means , it is locked files under DOS 2.5 disk image. So I have to UNLOCK that files with star symbol , FIRST. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test9.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.20-test9-src.7z

• Added cartridge auto-detection for Blizzard 32K type.
  • Fixed light pens/guns not working in port 4.
  • Fixed pulse dialing detection of 0 and increased interdigit pulse dialing time.
  • 1030: Implemented actual dial detection, fixed bogus echoing, and fixed on/off hook status flag in handler mode.
  • Debugger: Fixed .diskdumpsec command not working with virtual disks.
  • Fixed 1400XL internal device not saving settings.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

Great work! However, I seem to have run into an issue that might be with the cassette emulator or maybe how the cassette and diskette drives might conflict in how they use the POKEY. The TL;DR is that writing to the cassette while also doing diskette I/O corrupts the cassette.

I'm seeing this with programs written in Atari BASIC rev. C and with Atari/LCSI Logo. I have Altirra 4.10 set up for NTSC, max compatibility, no speedups, and the "real deal" video in the first time setup, Atari 800 NTSC 48KB profile, using Atari OS-B ROM and DOS 2.5.

If this behavior isn't by design, I'll be happy to try to dig into this more with screenshots, before/after .CAS files, code dumps, whatever.

Thanks!