IGNORED

Cult Classic Arcade Games

Dadisajoke

My favorite lesser-known arcade games..   These are games I didn't see in arcades much, and are probably better known for their home versions

Donkey Kong 3

Elevator Action

Hyper Sports - Sequel to Track & Field, never seemed to be as popular, but I liked it better.

Roc & Rope

Qix

Vanguard

I see you've already captured 2 of my top picks - Bosconian and Juno First. 

Some others:

Eggs (super cool/addictive game which I'm not sure was ever officially released but runs in MAME)

Marvin's Maze

Eliminator

Rescue / Minefield (2 separate games by Stern but so similar in mechanics I lump them together)

Assault 

Mad Planets

Palamedes

Zoo Keeper

Cybattler

Horizon

Rayforce (aka Gunlock)

Pepper II

Jungler

Kicker (aka Shao Lin's Road)

Night Slashers

Puzzloop

Money Puzzle Exchanger

Baluba Louk no Densetsu

Jumping Jack

Libble Rabble

Pandora's Palace

Not sure if all these meet the grade for "cult classic" but they're all very fun games (IMO).  It doesn't seem any of these games ever attained "household name" status even in retro nerd circles, being largely overshadowed by the the usual suspects that have been done to death (i.e., Pac-Man, DK, Frogger, Defender, etc.)

• Like 1

I don't know the difference between cult and just obscure, but for me the games I loved that weren't in a lot of arcades and/or weren't played as much were -

Omega Race

Space Firebird

Tailgunner

Wizard Of Wor

Armor..Attack

Star Fire

Astro Blaster

Moon Cresta

Polaris

Qix

Black Widow

Quantum

Red Baron

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

I see you've already captured 2 of my top picks - Bosconian and Juno First. 

Some others:

Eggs (super cool/addictive game which I'm not sure was ever officially released but runs in MAME)

Marvin's Maze

Eliminator

Rescue / Minefield (2 separate games by Stern but so similar in mechanics I lump them together)

Assault 

Mad Planets

Palamedes

Zoo Keeper

Cybattler

Horizon

Rayforce (aka Gunlock)

Pepper II

Jungler

Kicker (aka Shao Lin's Road)

Night Slashers

Puzzloop

Money Puzzle Exchanger

Baluba Louk no Densetsu

Jumping Jack

Libble Rabble

Pandora's Palace

Not sure if all these meet the grade for "cult classic" but they're all very fun games (IMO).  It doesn't seem any of these games ever attained "household name" status even in retro nerd circles, being largely overshadowed by the the usual suspects that have been done to death (i.e., Pac-Man, DK, Frogger, Defender, etc.)

Mad Planets is awesome! I played the crap out of that when I was in Chicago at the Galloping Ghost Arcade.

Edited by Dadisajoke

On 1/5/2023 at 4:34 AM, Dadisajoke said:

Nice list! 

I have done videos on Astro Blaster and Moon Cresta from that list.

The others I need to look into.

Thanks, they're really fun games.

Special mention goes out to Midway's Sea Wolf submarine game.  I didn't include it because it's electro-mechanical so I would put that in a separate category with other older games like Midway's S.A.M.I. (and Sega's Missile) game, but I played Sea Wolf whenever I could find it.  I always loved the projected physical lights for the explosions and torpedo indicators.

• Like 1

I always considered Moon Cresta to be a very popular/big hit kind of game.. at least it was where I'm from. And heck Qix got a 5200 port. 

I guess one of the more obscure arcade games I liked to play back in the day was Port Man. It's just a simple game that's fun in small doses. 

image.png.3a10a0bc482b85d5ec6b7204f5764151.png

Also when I was a kid I was very intrigued with Round-Up/Fitter.. especially since Rubik's Cube was the hot toy at the time. It turns out it's just an ok game.. I could never get the cube right btw :lol:  

image.png.62c4de51312c55aaab41fe9338604045.png image.png.2176bd81cbfabc7c0fef18e553805240.png

Last but not least I liked Space Chaser a lot. This to me was really the first "Pac-Man" style eat-the-dot game where you had free movement to go anywhere you wanted (as opposed to the Head-On style games), and you were chased around by enemies. Like Pac-Man you can learn patterns to beat each stage pretty much indefinitely.

This guy plays it horribly btw :lol:

Thumb_Space_Chaser_-_1979_-_Taito.jpg

• 7 months later...

New york new york.. this was in one of the arcades in NY.. it was pretty cool i got to play a game based on my city.. i really thought i was saving my people from an alien attack.. 

Heard captain harlock is in the japanese version instead.. wonder why japan just didn't go with the new york story considering they love ny (junko ohashi MAGICAL anyone????)

I do not have a fetish for the word Astro....  But for some reason THREE of my favorite underrated arcade games start with the word Astro.

Astro Fighter

Astro Invader

Astro Blaster

Astro Invader, I first saw/played at Future World in N. Ridgeville, Oh.   Fell in love with it instantly.  Still play it quite a bit in MAME.

Astro Fighter, We had a small chain of Taco Places in the early 80s in the Cleveland area called Taco Flats.  They were awesome.  The Parma Heights location had the cocktail table version, and the location on West 117th Street by I-90 had the uptight.   I don't know what it is about this game, but the sounds that it generates are AMAZING.  Nothing else compares.  Gameplay is great too.

Astro Blaster, Do not remember where I first played this, but I really like this one too.  Not as much as the other two, but it still gets a lot of live in the MAME Arcade on a Friday night.