IGNORED

I.C.B.M (Aka Missile Command-ish)

Hi everyone, so i wanted to post this a little earlier but was waiting till i had more of the engine sorted. Basically my version of Missile Command for the 7800 like i did with City Defence on the 2600. I haven't focused so much on graphics or sound but more the gameplay and logic. The engine with splash screens ect are in place to later be improved on. Still need to work out a smooth chase algorithm for the player missile to target. Anyway posting it here will give me a place to watch it's progress. Cheers.

ROM: I.C.B.M 20230507.a78

• Like 19

• 1 month later...

I do like this game I can't wait to try her out once a rom of it becomes available. I hope you also make her work with the CX80 trak-ball as an available option like on Centipede for the 7800. Nicely done, keep up the great work. :)  

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I do like this game I can't wait to try her out once a rom of it becomes available. I hope you also make her work with the CX80 trak-ball as an available option like on Centipede for the 7800. Nicely done, keep up the great work. :)  

Thanks, there is a ROM attached to the first post under the video. CX80 trak-ball support i could probably add, however i don't have one myself, so would need to go off feedback from others. Will have a look into it thanks for the suggestion 👍

• Like 3

This is an excellent start! The graphics and sounds are good, as well as the gameplay. I'd personally like to see the shot go in a direct line to the target (usually via the Bresenham's line algorithm).

Edit: I forgot to add that the fire button wasn't the one I expected it to be. If you are going for a one-button game, I would use button 0 instead of button 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Karl G said:

If you are going for a one-button game, I would use button 0 instead of button 1.

If not adding more launchers, I recommend leaving the 7800 in 1-button mode. That way, both buttons work, as will the single button on a CX40 or compatible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:45 AM, Karl G said:

This is an excellent start! The graphics and sounds are good, as well as the gameplay. I'd personally like to see the shot go in a direct line to the target (usually via the Bresenham's line algorithm).

Edit: I forgot to add that the fire button wasn't the one I expected it to be. If you are going for a one-button game, I would use button 0 instead of button 1.

Thanks Karl, yes you're right with the Bresenham's line algorithm the trajectory looks really weird. Embarrassingly i have tried to implement this feature but struggled getting my head around what's needed to make it work correctly. So there is commented out code i tinker with every so often till i finally get it. I may go with Pat's suggestion of 1-button mode so either can be used. Originally i was trying to leave one spare for if i wanted to add another feature similar Defender's Smart bombs. But i don't think something like Smart bombs would work all that well.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, Pat Brady said:

If not adding more launchers, I recommend leaving the 7800 in 1-button mode. That way, both buttons work, as will the single button on a CX40 or compatible.

Thanks for the suggestion and i may actually go that route. Personally i like the single launcher because i played MC2600 the most and was one my favorite games on the system. So everytime i try other versions like the Arcade it really throws me off, even though it's how the original game was intended. It's probably should just change it to 1-button mode as that will work well with additional peripherals.

Thanks for the feedback guys, gives some food for thought and helps refine the gameplay 👍

6 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks Karl, yes you're right with the Bresenham's line algorithm the trajectory looks really weird. Embarrassingly i have tried to implement this feature but struggled getting my head around what's needed to make it work correctly.

I recently had to implement this in a project I'm working on. If you're interested, I'd be happy to make a simple 7800basic demo that shows this method in action?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I recently had to implement this in a project I'm working on. If you're interested, I'd be happy to make a simple 7800basic demo that shows this method in action?

That would be brilliant if you could and really help me out. Any help is much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

That would be brilliant if you could and really help me out. Any help is much appreciated 👍

My pleasure! This demo has a shot originating from the center of the screen to the center of a joystick-driven target. Source and ROM are attached, as well as a zip of the project. I suppose it's technically a variant of Bresenham's algorithm, but it's the same concept done in a way that sticks in my head better. 🙂 I tried to comment the best I could, but let me know if you have any questions.

443962570_Screenshotfrom2023-02-0912-04-36.thumb.png.2dfcfeb7d8c9039a8ba7b44e929cbffc.png

linedemo.78b

linedemo.a78

linedemo.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Karl G said:

My pleasure! This demo has a shot originating from the center of the screen to the center of a joystick-driven target. Source and ROM are attached, as well as a zip of the project. I suppose it's technically a variant of Bresenham's algorithm, but it's the same concept done in a way that sticks in my head better. 🙂 I tried to comment the best I could, but let me know if you have any questions.

Thankyou very much Karl, i will have a good look later tonight after work. There is so many different methods out there and i was trying to come up with something that fit my coding style. The more i would look at other examples for where i was going wrong, things just started getting confusing. So i would just comment it out and try again another day. Really excited to see what you have put together and as you have written it for 7800Basic things could make more sense to me. 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing I.C.B.M. on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 5

Thanks for having a look at I.C.B.M on the show James. You found some bugs i wasn't aware of as i usually only test in small snippets. I think Karl was right that the missile status/flag is carrying on from the previous game. Also i do have a check for if all the buildings are destroyed then it should be game over. I may have commented that code out, or something isn't allowing the status check. Also once the players base is hit, i kept the missiles falling so it wasn't an abrupt stop to the gameplay. Although watching the play through i think i need to remove that feature as there is nothing worse than waiting. Cheers for the feedback

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 6:38 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks for having a look at I.C.B.M on the show James. You found some bugs i wasn't aware of as i usually only test in small snippets.

You're welcome! It was a lot of fun to play through and a lot more challenging than I thought at first glance. Great gameplay and graphics!

- James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bugs found by James i wanted to iron out before adding any new features.

Bugs:

Missile flag carryover on gameover: Done

Check for all towns destroyed : Done

Feature update:

When players base is destroyed the remaining on-screan ICBMs fall, then gameover rather than continuing till end of round.

Cheers.

ROM: I.C.B.M 20230507.a78

• Like 4