IGNORED

Graham Gooch Cricket

Biff Burgertime

Where the hell did they plan on selling this? Hopefully not the USA, where nobody knows what cricket is or how it's played... and where "gooch" is slang for perineum, the space between your balls and asshole.

ilwzA-popularity-of-cricket-across-the-globe.png

As far as I know, the only region Atari had a decent presence in here was the UK. But didn't they have trouble manufacturing any to send over?

Jenovi mentions the Amiga version was "wildly popular" @ 2:43 but unlike the Jaguar, I believe there existed more than a few Amigas in the UK.

Is this yet another version of the usual "wtf was Atari thinking?" or am I missing something here?

• Haha 4

I'm not so sure so many of these games were "done and ready to ship, if only someone would distribute them".  If that were the case I think a lot more of them would have turned up by now as playable roms, late releases by telegames, etc. 

Grundle Cricket would have been a hard pass for me :D 

• Like 2

I love cricket, but this seems strange to me. As basically any sports game that isn't football (football from either side of the pond, really) is fairly niche of not as high profile, having a cricket game on the Jaguar would have been thoroughly bizarre. You know I've heard a lot of people talk about Graham Gooch, he was one of England's best players, but I've never heard anyone make the gooch joke before haha 😂 perhaps that's appropriate, as if this game had been released it probably would have just been shat out

Edited by LianneJaguar64

Maybe it's just me, but I would have loved to have seen Graham Gooch Cricket come out on the Jaguar. I'm an American, and definitely didn't grow up with Cricket, but my brother and I love sports games. We got a copy of International Cricket for the NES once, and we literally taught ourselves the rules just so we could play it. It's a fun game and makes for a good competitive 2-player game (I think of it like baseball, if there are only 2 bases and the infield is in the center of an oval shaped outfield). If it is ever found and released, it will be in regular rotation on my Jag.

And to answer the original question, the target audience for Graham Gooch would definitely have been the UK and Australia. Most cricket games released on other consoles get released there.

• Like 1

I had Graham Gooch on the ST years back... loved it. particularly the 2 player.Broke multiple joysticks over the years with it as you had the waggle the joystick left and right as fast as possible to bowl faster or spin the ball more, or run between the wickets.  Not sure it would have translated as well to the joypad?!