IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Apple is now worth more money then Microsoft. And Apple just got a new market in China. On the other hand Microsoft is bleeding money for 4 years now.

The iPhone 5c is not making quite the splash they thought it would. I am waiting to see if New Apple makes mistakes similar to 90s Apple.

so what? both still make stuff people like.

heheheh you obviously have not had to deploy Windows 8 in a productivity environment. :) ClassicShell FTW!

• Like 1

BTW, for those who truly hate the loss of the classic Windows shell in Windows 8, you might want to look at an interesting alternative shell being built for ReactOS, but which the author has running successfully on Windows 8. . .ReactOS itself is still Alpha software on the cusp of going to an early Beta, but it is an interesting Windows alternative nonetheless.

BTW, for those who truly hate the loss of the classic Windows shell in Windows 8, you might want to look at an interesting alternative shell being built for ReactOS, but which the author has running successfully on Windows 8. . .ReactOS itself is still Alpha software on the cusp of going to an early Beta, but it is an interesting Windows alternative nonetheless.

Is Windoze 7 no longer available?

Message #188 of the:

F18A programming, info, and resources

thread has a small program by Rasmus that all of you with F18A's should check out.

Sometimes people are not into programming, so they skip over a thread from time to time.

If this is the case, you might want to check out this utility that I think all F18A users will want to get..

<< GO >>

Is Windoze 7 no longer available?

Not in the consumer channels. If you want Windows 7, you have to either purchase Windows 8(.1) OEM and exercise your down-grade rights (which will expire, though I do not know when) by installing your own Windows 7 OEM media and activating with an already-activated Windows 7 key, or purchase an OpenLicense.

To compound this difficulty, many manufacturers are not offering Windows 7 drivers for their computers. You can massage some Vista or 8 drivers to work in 7 (I have had to use Windows XP video drivers on some older equipment.) Windows Updates is really good at providing some missing drivers. YMMV.

I noticed yesterday that my Action Pack Subscription no longer has old versions of software available. I am certain that I will find the same with my TechNet Subscription, as well, since it is being retired but is included with MAPS.

• Like 1

Unless you memorize the special keyboard shortcuts (like 60 of them) Windows 8 blows for desktops.

Charms for example is the worst idea to force on a desktop user since Vista asking for your password 3 times to do simple folder actions.

Thank gawd people hate Windows 8 as much as I do.

If you want the classic windows look, you might consider Linux Mint Mate. I have it on my desktop and set up so it looks like a cross between XP and 7. Mint (and other distros) has softened up a lot of the rough edges in Linux and made it suitable for civilian use. The proof of the pudding: Donna prefers using the old computer with Linux to the newer one with Windows 7, and she's pretty clueless when it comes to technology.

If you want the classic windows look, you might consider Linux Mint Mate. I have it on my desktop and set up so it looks like a cross between XP and 7. Mint (and other distros) has softened up a lot of the rough edges in Linux and made it suitable for civilian use. The proof of the pudding: Donna prefers using the old computer with Linux to the newer one with Windows 7, and she's pretty clueless when it comes to technology.

As much as I like Linux from an ideological standpoint, it's still a pain to use even with modern distributions, at least in my viewpoint. Many packages require manual installation, root access, hunting for dependencies etc... unless specifically targeting your own distribution, and this can lead to a lot of frustration. And to make the most out of Linux, you still need to be pretty familiar with the command line, which is not such a big deal for those of us who started computing when command line was all you had (unless you were flipping switches and watching LED's light up :D ), but can be very intimidating to the younger crowd.

I consider myself pretty computer literate, but I have never been able to use Linux as my main OS for any extended period of time. My best compromise was to install a couple of different distributions (Knoppix and Luna) on external USB drives and use them when I have a specific need for Linux. I have always been weary of dual booting given past experiences with boot track corruption. I also have a Raspberry Pi, but it's so underpowered that it is not a practical choice for mainstream linux computing and is best relegated to the role of a micro-controller.

Now I suppose that if all one does with Linux is common tasks like using the web browser and OpenOffice, then the experience should be pretty seamless and likely enjoyable.

• Like 2

with Xubuntu and crossover office I really don't have any of these issues. Ubuntu has a package for 99% of what is needed. Sometimes to be on the 'bleeding edge' you have to compile something, but the tools are free.. I use Xubuntu on my desktop at work and at home. The only thing missing is ports of all of my games that require me to keep a Windows 7 gaming box for.. Though quite a few are in steam 4 linux so that's changing :)

Greg

As much as I like Linux from an ideological standpoint, it's still a pain to use even with modern distributions, at least in my viewpoint. Many packages require manual installation, root access, hunting for dependencies etc... unless specifically targeting your own distribution, and this can lead to a lot of frustration. And to make the most out of Linux, you still need to be pretty familiar with the command line, which is not such a big deal for those of us who started computing when command line was all you had (unless you were flipping switches and watching LED's light up :D ), but can be very intimidating to the younger crowd.

I consider myself pretty computer literate, but I have never been able to use Linux as my main OS for any extended period of time. My best compromise was to install a couple of different distributions (Knoppix and Luna) on external USB drives and use them when I have a specific need for Linux. I have always been weary of dual booting given past experiences with boot track corruption. I also have a Raspberry Pi, but it's so underpowered that it is not a practical choice for mainstream linux computing and is best relegated to the role of a micro-controller.

Now I suppose that if all one does with Linux is common tasks like using the web browser and OpenOffice, then the experience should be pretty seamless and likely enjoyable.

it's still there.... my Win8 laptop wouldn't have lasted this long otherwise ;)

How is WIn 8 working for you overall? I'm in need of a new laptop, but I am hesitating because I don't want to give up Win 7 just yet as I have not heard many people speak nicely of Win 8... Since you are a power user, I would be interested in hearing more about your overall impression on this. (Damn! I just sounded like Eliza here :D )

Edited by Vorticon

How is WIn 8 working for you overall? I'm in need of a new laptop, but I am hesitating because I don't want to give up Win 7 just yet as I have not heard many people speak nicely of Win 8... Since you are a power user, I would be interested in hearing more about your overall impression on this. (Damn! I just sounded like Eliza here :D )

I am not a fan. I recently updated to 8.1 to see if it was much better. I spend all of my time running in the classic desktop, and since I launch most apps via Windows+R, I don't miss the loss of the start button, but the whole Metro interface and the move back to full-screen applications feels like a huge step backwards for multitaskers. Not to mention replacing the visible user interface with secret hot spots to navigate via. ;)

That said, I've had no application issues and it's responsive enough.

My laptop will go back down to 7 when I get time. Unfortunately I usually only think about it when I'm travelling and have to use it. ;)

I am running Windows 7 even on newer hardware, as some of the expensive software we use at work just wont run on 8. One particularly funny reason we had was that the software will not run because of the lack of a Start Panel.

Home use, I run Win 2008 Server on my desktop, and Calculate Linux on my laptop (Fork of Gentoo). I have occasionaly run into dependency problems, but Gentoo's USE flags make it a breeze. The only thing that bugs me sometimes, is the time it takes for applications to be compiled in Gentoo (Firefox takes over an hour), but hey, you end up with a system that is tailored to your needs, and optimized for your hardware. (Luckily Calculate also lets you install packages which are already compiled a la rpm's and debs.)

Just my 2c

Edited by pjduplooy

Not in the consumer channels. If you want Windows 7, you have to either purchase Windows 8(.1) OEM and exercise your down-grade rights (which will expire, though I do not know when) by installing your own Windows 7 OEM media and activating with an already-activated Windows 7 key, or purchase an OpenLicense.

To compound this difficulty, many manufacturers are not offering Windows 7 drivers for their computers. You can massage some Vista or 8 drivers to work in 7 (I have had to use Windows XP video drivers on some older equipment.) Windows Updates is really good at providing some missing drivers. YMMV.

I noticed yesterday that my Action Pack Subscription no longer has old versions of software available. I am certain that I will find the same with my TechNet Subscription, as well, since it is being retired but is included with MAPS.

I paid for the action pack until I retired. Paid for it for 8 years or so.

I recently noticed that there may be a need for a beginner / introductory course to Extended Basic. Since it appears that EVERYONE has an Extended BASIC cartridge, is anyone willing to take the time to start a thread, and become Professor XB?

It might be kind of fun to see where this could lead or what all could come out of this.

I don't have an XB cartridge. Well I suppose I do in emulation.

Oops, my bad. I should have said everybody THAT TOOK THE POLL (38 of 38 so far). :woozy:

But hey, learning in emulation is good too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXgboDb9ucE&feature=youtu.be&t=3m0s

Jump to 3 minutes 0 seconds. I embedded the proper timing, but for some reason AA is not acknowledging it.

Well... I don't have much TI stuff.. I have my one foot in the hobby. Probably not even one foot. I am not going to buy much for my TI anytime soon. My employer was acquired by a larger company. Looking at their history, via google, they buy up their competition and shut them down..

I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

I understand that concept and can relate. Been there, done that. Emulation is cool, you can play NOW, while you plan for later! :)

I hope it all works out well for you. This is a neat little group here, and man the talent of some of the guy's is just AWESOME.