IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Had my first (suspected) drought-related issue today.  Our next-door neighbor rang our doorbell around 7pm to tell us we had water coming out of the ground near the utility area.  He proceeded to help me shut off the water at the street, find parts and glue, and repair the broken PVC elbow.  Playing in the dirt with the fire ants, mosquitoes, and tree roots is not my idea of a fun Friday evening :) 

water 8-12-22.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Had my first (suspected) drought-related issue today.  Our next-door neighbor rang our doorbell around 7pm to tell us we had water coming out of the ground near the utility area.  He proceeded to help me shut off the water at the street, find parts and glue, and repair the broken PVC elbow.  Playing in the dirt with the fire ants, mosquitoes, and tree roots is not my idea of a fun Friday evening :) 

Glad it was a relatively easy fix though. Water pipes can be a serious pain. . .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ksarul said:

Glad it was a relatively easy fix though. Water pipes can be a serious pain. . .

The break is fixed but I'm going to have a plumber come look at everything tomorrow or Monday.  This all may have been a blessing in disguise:  I had to hunt down the water softener bypass valve and discovered that the plumber-from-hell installed the system.  There are at least three different types of pipes and fittings with various parts and pieces that look to me like odds and ends were stuck together to "make things work".  There is visible corrosion of the joints and a trail of at least two feet of corrosion on one pipe where they used a piece of galvanized metal. I just loooove plumbing. :) 

I have seen similar.

There is a variety of PVC that is for high temperature that is purposefully a different diameter (despite what it says on the box) to prevent the parts from being used together. I have also seen galvanized pipe used... Inappropriately... many times.

My own bathroom has the latter problem; I have replaced most of it, but not the vertical to the shower. Replacing it would require knocking out the whole goddamn wall in the kitchen, because it was installed by an insane contractor. (To even get to the tub fittings, I had to personally install a plumbing access on said wall. Because said insane contractor just boarded up the wall after installing galvanized pipe, connected to brass tub fittings. "Like a Pro!".  Said wall is.. Let's just say it has entirely too much material to mess with. It's about 2 inches thick of plywood underneath drywall, before you even get to the plumbing. There is just the normal plumbing gap space in there to work with for said vertical, and a footing board underneath to prevent just snaking it out to replace it from the crawlspace below. "Very Professional." At some point I will get sufficiently fed up that I will go in there with small rotary tools, and hack the vertical into manageable bits, and remove it piece wise, then replace it with steel braided-mesh reinforced flexible water tubing. That at least will be manageable in the future.)

anyhow, I hope you get that all sorted out. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 2:04 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

The break is fixed but I'm going to have a plumber come look at everything tomorrow or Monday.  This all may have been a blessing in disguise:  I had to hunt down the water softener bypass valve and discovered that the plumber-from-hell installed the system.  There are at least three different types of pipes and fittings with various parts and pieces that look to me like odds and ends were stuck together to "make things work".  There is visible corrosion of the joints and a trail of at least two feet of corrosion on one pipe where they used a piece of galvanized metal. I just loooove plumbing. :) 

On 8/13/2022 at 4:55 AM, wierd_w said:

I have seen similar.

There is a variety of PVC that is for high temperature that is purposefully a different diameter (despite what it says on the box) to prevent the parts from being used together. I have also seen galvanized pipe used... Inappropriately... many times.

My own bathroom has the latter problem; I have replaced most of it, but not the vertical to the shower. Replacing it would require knocking out the whole goddamn wall in the kitchen, because it was installed by an insane contractor. (To even get to the tub fittings, I had to personally install a plumbing access on said wall. Because said insane contractor just boarded up the wall after installing galvanized pipe, connected to brass tub fittings. "Like a Pro!".  Said wall is.. Let's just say it has entirely too much material to mess with. It's about 2 inches thick of plywood underneath drywall, before you even get to the plumbing. There is just the normal plumbing gap space in there to work with for said vertical, and a footing board underneath to prevent just snaking it out to replace it from the crawlspace below. "Very Professional." At some point I will get sufficiently fed up that I will go in there with small rotary tools, and hack the vertical into manageable bits, and remove it piece wise, then replace it with steel braided-mesh reinforced flexible water tubing. That at least will be manageable in the future.)

anyhow, I hope you get that all sorted out. 

I feel everyone's pain with these plumbing woes.  We ended up with a crack in our fiberglass shower/tub that rotted out the floor around said tub so now the whole %$&^%$ thing has to be refloored along with a new tub. 

We're having a heck of a time finding a contractor around here to do the work.

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

Yet another genius has left the stage ... Wolfgang Petersen died on August 12.

Known as a director of

- The NeverEnding Story

- Das Boot

- Enemy Mine

- Outbreak

- Air Force One

- The Perfect Storm

- Troy

another TIer gone RIP and thanks for your contributions

• Like 1

I just had a horrible idea for a new game.

"Swimming with sharks: Tropical theme park"

Premise: You are a resort hotel owner living in an island economy tropical country (aka, a banana republic). You are exploiting the extremely lax laws of your country, (and battling against graft and corruption to stay in business) to run a novel tourist destination where tourists pay to swim with sharks.

Since fish cost lots of money, in order to stay in business you must:

1) decide which tourists to feed to the sharks to keep them healthy and happy.

2) balance the perceived risk tourists have over being eaten against their risk taking impulses

3) maintain a hotel at sufficiently luxurious levels to keep tourists happy without going broke.

4) sustain a large enough school of sharks for tourists to be satisfied

5) deal with the logistics if tourist body size, shark consumption needs/ability, risk of survival and lawsuit/liability, and general sassyness of different kinds of tourist relative to their income

6) bribe the officials to stay in operation.

I am not sure I want to dust off my programming abilities to make it, but the idea was too fun not to share.

• Like 2