IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

On 7/3/2022 at 12:49 PM, Switch1995 said:

Going to tackle building a SAMS PEB board this Summer.  Looking to upgrade from my 20 year old; $8 Radio Shack soldering iron.  Any suggestions for a user friendly model that is a good mix of price and performance?

Finally finished my SAMS board (parts delay).  Test Sat / no errors.  Weller 1010 was an absolute pleasure to work with!  No more testing the heat of my soldering iron by licking it 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a strange question for fellow android users:

The "double-press side-button" to launch camera / app of users choice...

Can it be disabled / bypassed (without root) ?

What i want is a app that does literally nothing. Not a single thing. A quick google shows some sort of app called "nothing at all", but it appears to open a window.

I don't want it to open a window. i literally want it to do nothing at all. Literally the android equivalent of:

int main()
{
  return 0;
}

The idea being, i can set this app to be the app that gets launched when the side-button is pressed twice, thus rendering that action totally useless.

I don't take that many pictures with my phone, so leaving the action set to camera is pointless, and i can't think of anything on my device that would need such quick access that i would set it to that action.

2 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

What i want is a app that does literally nothing. Not a single thing. A quick google shows some sort of app called "nothing at all", but it appears to open a window.

I don't want it to open a window. i literally want it to do nothing at all. Literally the android equivalent of:

int main()
{
  return 0;
}

The idea being, i can set this app to be the app that gets launched when the side-button is pressed twice, thus rendering that action totally useless.

I don't take that many pictures with my phone, so leaving the action set to camera is pointless, and i can't think of anything on my device that would need such quick access that i would set it to that action.

I believe this depends upon the phone and its manufacture/provider customizations, maybe even the launcher you use (if it can intercept these events, like Nova.)  There is an app which allows you to assign a myriad different reactions to various events, including search button and camera button events.  Not sure if it requires root or not, but I ran it on my Xperia XA2 Ultra under an AOSP 11 firmware.  Cannot remember the name of the app, but I found it through a search before, related to "Home2 Shortcut".

Good luck.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, jrhodes said:

int main()
{
  return 0;
}

On 9/7/2022 at 12:57 PM, OLD CS1 said:

I believe this depends upon the phone and its manufacture/provider customizations, maybe even the launcher you use (if it can intercept these events, like Nova.)  There is an app which allows you to assign a myriad different reactions to various events, including search button and camera button events.  Not sure if it requires root or not, but I ran it on my Xperia XA2 Ultra under an AOSP 11 firmware.  Cannot remember the name of the app, but I found it through a search before, related to "Home2 Shortcut".

Good luck.

So, i think i just unintentionally solved this issue lol

(My device is a Samsung Galaxy A13 5G if it matters to anybody)

I set the side-button action to a game app (so i could launch it faster on my break time at work), and then uninstalled that game when i got tired of it. The setting for that action now says i need to pick a different app.... But i have not done so yet.

I can double-press the side-button all day long and nothing happens 🙂

This may/may not work for anyone else looking to do away with this side-button action. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Switch1995 said:

Dune II emulation in the browser………yeah, I’m going to be real productive today

I loved Dune II back in those days, but I also remember some funny things about it. The voice in the German localization somehow had a foreign accent, possibly Dutch. It was possibly from this impression that instead of "Radar repariert" (radar repaired) I first understood "Fahrrad repariert" (bicycle repaired). And when you instructed your troops to advance, they said "OK" but pronounced as German letters O and K, not as the English letters as it is done in German.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I loved Dune II back in those days, but I also remember some funny things about it. The voice in the German localization somehow had a foreign accent, possibly Dutch. It was possibly from this impression that instead of "Radar repariert" (radar repaired) I first understood "Fahrrad repariert" (bicycle repaired). And when you instructed your troops to advance, they said "OK" but pronounced as German letters O and K, not as the English letters as it is done in German.

Is there no native German word for Okay?

"Okay" is very popular in German, pronounced like o-keh (with monophthongs), appearing in all generations, maybe because it is so short.

The usual German idiom would be "in Ordnung" (lit. "in order"), or "einverstanden" ("agreed"), or "verstanden" ("understood").

For the same reason, German people occasionally tend to murmur a "sorry" instead of the much longer German "Entschuldigung".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

"Okay" is very popular in German, pronounced like o-keh (with monophthongs), appearing in all generations, maybe because it is so short.

The usual German idiom would be "in Ordnung" (lit. "in order"), or "einverstanden" ("agreed"), or "verstanden" ("understood").

For the same reason, German people occasionally tend to murmur a "sorry" instead of the much longer German "Entschuldigung".

Maybe "sorry" is just the English giving a gift back to Germany since Germany gave them Saxonisch centuries ago. 

Canst du understandan hwaet is her gewriten? :) 

• Like 2