IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Yeah . I guess...lol

Good answer. So you can read what is written there. :)

That's what OLD English looked like. (~900 years ago) It was also called Anglo-Saxon. It is not German or Dutch but has lots of similarities. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBF said:

Canst du understandan hwaet is her gewriten? :) 

Old English: Canst þu understandan hwæt is hēr gewriten?

Modern German: Kannst du verstehen, was hier geschrieben ist?

Pro tip: If you happen to study Old English, just add a few German courses on top. You've already gone most of the path.

Fun fact: While English picks the Latin origin in many cases where German goes for the Germanic root, "write" is a cognate to German "ritzen" (scratch, carve) and from a Germanic origin, while German "schreiben" is a cognate of Latin "scribere".

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

Old English: Canst þu understandan hwæt is hēr gewriten?

Modern German: Kannst du verstehen, was hier geschrieben ist?

Pro tip: If you happen to study Old English, just add a few German courses on top. You've already gone most of the path.

Fun fact: While English picks the Latin origin in many cases where German goes for the Germanic root, "write" is a cognate to German "ritzen" (scratch, carve) and from a Germanic origin, while German "schreiben" is a cognate of Latin "scribere".

That is an amazing fun fact. Thanks.

I speak Dutch/Hollandisch  (intermediate level) and I find the old English is often times close to that. It seems like the old dialiects were much closer together than the modern languages.

My wife's cousin got lost in the mountains in Switzerland. He found an old farmer and tried to speak to him in "echte Nederlands". 

The Swiss guy got nothing.

So he switched to his village dialect and then they could talk. :) 

Edited by TheBF
typo
  • Like 3

So my kid decided I need a newer PC so he's picked out a Ryzen 5 5600X.

The prices of the AMD Ryzen 55600X, notice the "X", have dropped like crazy to just a bit above $100 bucks.

So he's taking out my PC, which is a 2 core i5 @ 3100  and building me a new PC with a 500 GB M2 drive, since most of my data is not held locally anyway.

I really just do desktop stuff, but this new build is still powerful enough to run flight simulator but also important to run classic 99.

Gotta stay current somewhat on my PC compatibility. Yes, it's not a super great PC build, but it's definitely not the old stuff either

For $200 it's a pretty good upgrade, I think by the time he adds 16GB in of DDR ram, and the gigabyte MB it'll be around $230.

3 Day shipping puts it here next week. 

right now AMD and Intel are pushing out product and making room for new inventory.

classic 99 will be a nice run on it. :)

I suppose he got tired of me yelling at my current machine rebooting every hour.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

This is .. sad? Inevitable? If Analog Devices can make a public statement why can’t Texas Instruments?

My headline summary:

Texas Instruments DSP chips found powering Iranian Shahed drones, others

Russia brags of “Texas Iskanders” in spite of sanctions

TI maintains sales office in Moscow

The source acknowledges that some parts could be from old stock, but asks the tough question, why is TI’s Moscow sales office still open?

I sense that this is timed for exposure before TI announces earnings on Oct 25.  Last week, TI announced another dividend increase. TI has a policy to pay about 50% of net income to investors, rather than pile up cash. 

Disclosure: I am a long-term investor in TXN. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

This is .. sad? Inevitable? If Analog Devices can make a public statement why can’t Texas Instruments?

Headline summary:

Texas Instruments DSP chips found powering Iranian Shahed missiles, others

Russia brags of “Texas Iskanders” in spite of sanctions

TI maintains sales office in Moscow

Hopefully the only chips they are selling them are from unsold copies of "Hustle"

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

floorplan.thumb.png.3bc98b825bac306bc4575954ef1b2be3.png

One of my customers' upstairs house floor was pretty much designed like this.  As well, in some houses with finished attics, you will find a storage space which surrounds the finished space.  I rather like this layout.

• Like 1