IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

9 ore fa, OLD CS1 ha scritto:

Serendipità! Sono dovuto correre al negozio per un paio di articoli e per un capriccio sono passato davanti al cestino dei film. Seduto in cima c'era questo film che non vedevo da quando ero bambino. Un po' campy, ma nel complesso non terribile.

Ammazzadraghi (1981)

copertina.jpeg.6d6d46047ff44fdda272f97fd0bfeeda.jpeg

I remember it! Wasn't it made by Disney? Maybe not... Still to be reviewed. The poster of the film is still beautiful!

Edited by Serafini Lapo

9 hours ago, Serafini Lapo said:

I remember it! Wasn't it made by Disney? Maybe not... Still to be reviewed. The poster of the film is still beautiful!

Not Disney, but Paramount.  Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert on "Sneak Previews" (back at PBS station WTTW, before "At the Movies" on WGN) gave a positive review of the movie in 1981, with particular emphasis on the dragon effects.  I watched this movie on HBO, oh, probably around 1983 or 1984, along with others like "The Beastmaster," "Battle Beyond the Stars," and "Krull," and was absolutely enchanted.  The whole fantasy genre of movies drew me in as a kid, especial, as Gene Siskel pointed out, with a relatable young hero.

Oh, and for a little trivia, "Battle Beyond the Stars" was James Cameron's breakout special effects job which launched his career as we know it.

BTW: I do not speak Italian, but the title is obviously "The Dragon of the Lake of Fire," which is an appropriately poetic name for the movie.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Serendipity!  I had to run by the store for a couple of items, and on a whim I walked past the movie bin.  Sitting on top was this movie I have not seen since I was a kid.  A bit campy, but over-all not terrible.

Dragonslayer (1981)

Campy as all hell :lol: I mean damn...

My favorite back in the day was Excalibur. I probably should watch it again to see how well it has aged. I have it on VHS and yes I still have a VHS player!

Excalibur_movie_poster.jpg.0a2a6d6207454f130db84b35a07f51e7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

I haven't seen one of those in ages. There was actually a local video rental store in Kaiserslautern that still had some Video2000 titles available up until I left Germany in 1994.

Video2000 was video as it should have been, not as VHS tried to be. True picture freeze, fast forward, reverse without jerking. Cassettes with high capacity which could be flipped (like an audio tape).

Video2000 was inferior to VHS in just one point: The video stores focused on VHS, in particular concerning the "adult entertainment".

My VHS player is actually a relatively modern dual DVD-R/VHS machine I specifically acquired to transfer my old VHS home movies to DVD for safekeeping. Works really well.

1099648171_VHSplayer.thumb.jpg.0cdd6f6b97a2862a2cc2949b1167a0b2.jpg

I also still have and use a vintage Panasonic laser disk player. You can see part of my LD collection in the picture as well :) I have to say that LD's did not age well from a video quality standpoint...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I have to say that LD's did not age well from a video quality standpoint...

When I worked in television back in the early 90s I couldn't imagine how TV would ever look better than what we had then. 🤣

When I did a full setup on our cameras they looked amazing to me. Then I went to a lecture on solid state pickup devices at Sony.

(versus plumbicon tubes) :) 

The lecturer put up a resolution chart and the tube camera looked great. Then he panned slowly left and we watched the frequency response collapse on the scope.

Switching to the solid state camera (experimental at the time) it held the image and frequency response while panning.

It was an "aha" moment. "Dynamic resolution" would revolutionize sports telecasting. 

And the rest is not history now , it's the present. :) 

(good thing I didn't get any older) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vorticon said:

My VHS player is actually a relatively modern dual DVD-R/VHS machine I specifically acquired to transfer my old VHS home movies to DVD for safekeeping. Works really well.

1099648171_VHSplayer.thumb.jpg.0cdd6f6b97a2862a2cc2949b1167a0b2.jpg

I also still have and use a vintage Panasonic laser disk player. You can see part of my LD collection in the picture as well :) I have to say that LD's did not age well from a video quality standpoint...

I actually have to laugh at this one, @Vorticon. It is the same VCR that @iliketurtles and I have in the living room (I just verified the model number)--and we bought it for the same reason you did, LOLOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about this one, just dug out of the cellar (and quickly cleaned on the top):

vcr_machine.jpg

That little darling weighs 17 kg! I thought at first it was stuck on the shelf. (This is of course not the mentioned Video 2000 machine; I'll send a picture later.)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mizapf said:

What about this one, just dug out of the cellar (and quickly cleaned on the top):

vcr_machine.jpg

That little darling weighs 17 kg! I thought at first it was stuck on the shelf. (This is of course not the mentioned Video 2000 machine; I'll send a picture later.)

Hopefully, the tape drive wheels haven't dissolved into a slimy rubber goo (I used to have a really nice multisystem tape machine that suffered that particular fate--the goo totally gummed up the internals of the machine and corroded some of the main board too).

• Sad 2

There is still a cassette inside, unthreaded, but I don't dare to power that thing up - odds are that it will tear the tape. This was our first video recorder at the end of the 70ies.

As for the rubber, yes, it seems all rubber is going to "die" after some time. I still have a SLR camera in a bag (not digital, a Dynax 700 si), but you just can't touch it, the rubber is smeary, yuck.

39 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Hopefully, the tape drive wheels haven't dissolved into a slimy rubber goo (I used to have a really nice multisystem tape machine that suffered that particular fate--the goo totally gummed up the internals of the machine and corroded some of the main board too).

Duuuuuude.  I had a tape system that happened to, and it seemed like it happened over-night.  I was rather angry about it.  One weekend it was fine, the next weekend it was schmoo.

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I still have a SLR camera in a bag (not digital, a Dynax 700 si), but you just can't touch it, the rubber is smeary, yuck.

I revive foldable Microsoft Mice with Propyl-Alcohol (Iso-Propanol) ... Usually it is just the upper coating desolving, which gave the plastic a better haptic ... but not anymore. I use clear varnish on the mice after cleaning them.

Perhaps that works on the body of your camera as well?

• Like 1

I just dug up some of my old development disks from back when I was working on my BBS program for the C64.  I had forgotten how many development support utilities I had written to make my life easier.  The BASIC program merger was one, but I also had one which would convert a range of 6502 code or data in memory to BASIC DATA statements to be POKEd into memory (could be used with the merger,) one which would scan a BASIC program and show a table of all IF/THEN/ELSE, GOSUB, and GOTO targets, among plenty of others.

Fun days.  I kind-of miss programming like that, though I am not certain I would have wanted to turn that into a job.

12 hours ago, mizapf said:

vcr_machine.jpg

Is this a Betamax machine? The tape compartment seems small.

My parents had a Sony Betamax VCR and I have fond memories recording the more interesting TV science documentaries off the air for safe keeping. I wonder what happened to all these tapes... My own little Curiosity Channel stash he he... Damn was I a nerd...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

Is this a Betamax machine? The tape compartment seems small.

My parents had a Sony Betamax VCR and I have fond memories recording the more interesting TV science documentaries off the air for safe keeping. I wonder what happened to all these tapes... My own little Curiosity Channel stash he he... Damn was I a nerd...

No, this is VCR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Cassette_Recording

The machine is quite big; the keys for rewind, play, forward, and record are about a thumb's width and went half a finger long down when pressing. For timed recording, you had to press Start and Rec, which were kept locked down until the timer started. You had to have a minimum hand size, or operate it with two hands. When you pressed stop, the pressed keys flipped back up, and really made a loud sound.

The two spools of the cassette were placed on top of each other, so there was one big hole in the bottom for the motor, and it either drove the upper spool for playing and forward winding, or the lower spool for rewinding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1