IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

1 hour ago, TheBF said:

Well here is something interesting.

The Creation of EasyWriter | Hacker News (ycombinator.com)

And it appears that John Draper did indeed modify the compiler. :) 

You always find the cool stuff..

This is such a great part of history.

I heard from somewhere, it's fig-86.

And my understanding is that there is a x86 interpreter for this tipc. So is that how the assy code was compiled I wonder?

Im guessing here with the bits that I've heard or read about.

I'm not sure where to start to backtrack my info on this... because I might be confused especially if there's a fig-81, or 82 etc....

Which might be the case...

I did see the assy source in my docs. I should be able to find that again, if need be.

Edited by GDMike

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

You always find the cool stuff..

This is such a great part of history.

I heard from somewhere, it's fig-86.

And my understanding is that there is a x86 interpreter for this tipc. So is that how the assy code was compiled I wonder?

Im guessing here with the bits that I've heard or read about.

I'm not sure where to start to backtrack my info on this... because I might be confused especially if there's a fig-81, or 82 etc....

Which might be the case...

I did see the assy source in my docs. I should be able to find that again, if need be.

Fig 86 probably means 8086, rather than the year in this case. 

Fig-Forth was the same across many CPUs.

• Like 1

I Heard back regarding the msg above..

Their reply

Thank you for your email, as we have not tested the #492 with the Texas instruments we can not be 100% positive it will work, however we think that it should work.

However, we can offer you the #827 for the same price as the #492, as the #827 has more features and we feel a higher percentage of working. This also comes with a standard 9pin input.

The story about John Draper and Applewriter reminds me of a chapter in "Life on the Mississippi" by Mark Twain.

**************************************************************************************

Once a pretty mean captain caught Stephen in New Orleans out of work and as usual out of money. He laid steady siege to Stephen, who was in a very 'close place,' and finally persuaded him to hire with him at one hundred and twenty-five dollars per month, just half wages, the captain agreeing not to divulge the secret and so bring down the contempt of all the guild upon the poor fellow. But the boat was not more than a day out of New Orleans before Stephen discovered that the captain was boasting of his exploit, and that all the officers had been told. Stephen winced, but said nothing. About the middle of the afternoon the captain stepped out on the hurricane deck, cast his eye around, and looked a good deal surprised. He glanced inquiringly aloft at Stephen, but Stephen was whistling placidly, and attending to business. The captain stood around a while in evident discomfort, and once or twice seemed about to make a suggestion; but the etiquette of the river taught him to avoid that sort of rashness, and so he managed to hold his peace. He chafed and puzzled a few minutes longer, then retired to his apartments. But soon he was out again, and apparently more perplexed than ever. Presently he ventured to remark, with deference—

'Pretty good stage of the river now, ain't it, sir?'

'Well, I should say so! Bank-full is a pretty liberal stage.'

'Seems to be a good deal of current here.'

'Good deal don't describe it! It's worse than a mill-race.'

'Isn't it easier in toward shore than it is out here in the middle?'

'Yes, I reckon it is; but a body can't be too careful with a steamboat. It's pretty safe out here; can't strike any bottom here, you can depend on that.'

The captain departed, looking rueful enough. At this rate, he would probably die of old age before his boat got to St. Louis. Next day he appeared on deck and again found Stephen faithfully standing up the middle of the river, fighting the whole vast force of the Mississippi, and whistling the same placid tune. This thing was becoming serious. In by the shore was a slower boat clipping along in the easy water and gaining steadily; she began to make for an island chute; Stephen stuck to the middle of the river. Speech was wrung from the captain. He said—

'Mr. W——, don't that chute cut off a good deal of distance?'

'I think it does, but I don't know.'

'Don't know! Well, isn't there water enough in it now to go through?'

'I expect there is, but I am not certain.'

'Upon my word this is odd! Why, those pilots on that boat yonder are going to try it. Do you mean to say that you don't know as much as they do?'

'They! Why, they are two-hundred-and-fifty-dollar pilots! But don't you be uneasy; I know as much as any man can afford to know for a hundred and twenty-five!'

The captain surrendered.

Five minutes later Stephen was bowling through the chute and showing the rival boat a two-hundred-and-fifty-dollar pair of heels.

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Draper developed EasyWriter while serving nights in the Alameda County Jail under a work furlough program.

Paul Lutus wrote Apple Writer alone in a small cottage he built himself atop a hill in the woods of Oregon, connected to the electricity grid via 1,200 feet (370 m) of cable strung in trees.

Those were the days.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is something interesting:

Smart Women - Wise Choices: Sagouspe, Jackierae: 9781948266727: Amazon.com: Books

I believe this is the same Jackie Sagouspe who was the president of CorComp.

From The Orphan Chronicles:

But the Phoenix never flew. In fact, according to Jackie Sagouspe, current President of Corcomp, the computer never made it past the design phase. When asked if there ever was a working model she replied "As far as having a Tl-compatible concept, a working prototype, no, it never got that far." It was killed as a project when the company experienced such hyper-growth that the founding fathers couldn't deal with the economics of the immense project. Sagouspe, in the course of less than a year, rose from outside marketing consultant to Corcomp marketing director to company president - such is the life in the computer industry.

COR COMP. INC. in Anaheim, CA | Company Information & Reviews (bizapedia.com)

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SkyPilot said:

President of a dead company, real claim to fame.

That's one way to look at it.

Another way is to remember that CorComp continued making peripherals for an abandoned computer for 8 years following Black Friday.

I seem to remember hearing about some boys from Liverpool whose band broke up after only 8 years, yet this defunct group seems to have retained a following. 

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of two things happened: hobos or sabotage.  Half of CenturyLink/Lumen IP and VoIP services are down in Tallahassee due to a fire set under a bridge somewhere.  According to the last update, all six ducts hanging on the bridge are damaged and they will have to hang new fiber and 3000-pair copper cables.  Though, that has to wait until FDOT assesses and clears the bridge as the fire caused damage to the bridge.

Of course, this affects my data center, primary and secondary servers as, while geographically diverse, they apparently flow through the same channels.  My tertiary server is operational, but was never expected to take on the extra DNS and SMTP load, and I am one week out from adding a second provider and quaternary server.

Oh, and I am currently two states and six and a-half hours away, and apparently AT&T was having problems in my current area, which severely hampered my communications.

Tentative estimate on restoration time is noon tomorrow.

I need several drinks.

• Sad 4

I poured ua drink for both of us. I drank mine, a

7 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

This has taken off the edge.

20230502_233553.thumb.JPG.60494595b78409839d076a7edae15a79.JPG

I poured  two drinks for us.

After I drank mine, when you didn't show up, I drank yours as well.

Then I figured you would want another, so I poured two more for us.

• Haha 6