IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

5 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

That was not ethanol induced. I started writing, then decided i better quote OLDCS1, but didn't see that the text I had already entered was still there.

I think we all make better posts when we have imbibed.

On an even more positive note, the ISP disaster is over, but apparently something happened at the data center.  Some VMs froze, others shut down, and nothing happened to still other.  And one server decided to boot back up on an old hard drive which, for frustrating technical reasons, cannot be removed.  I sold my soul for a null-modem cable today.  But, now all seems calm and still.

Postmortems are for after sleep.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Serafini Lapo said:

sorry, what was it for?

Primarily, a whois proxy service.  Back in the day there were very few third-party whois systems.  Each registrar and network entity ran its own, but GeekTools unified it all into a single proxy which could be accessed by web or any whois client.  I have a desktop tool which uses it.  Now a-days there are a plethora, a literal plethora, of such services, but this was the first.  I run their proxy program on my own server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just gotten my arm working better from a broken elbow (start of Feb).  And now need to gain some strength back in the arm and elbow there!!  I nearly broke my foot along with two full sized Cooler Master tower cases I was moving.  When my arm said that's enough! I carefully slid the two systems back in place, and need to wait awhile longer to enjoy my new toys that have been sitting nearby for 2 months.  New video card and 6 x 16TB WD Red Pros that were on sale back then.  The most frustrating injury I have ever had.

Tyler wants to upgrade and have fun with his systems!!!

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 3:54 PM, Torrax said:

Just gotten my arm working better from a broken elbow (start of Feb).  And now need to gain some strength back in the arm and elbow there!!  I nearly broke my foot along with two full sized Cooler Master tower cases I was moving.  When my arm said that's enough! I carefully slid the two systems back in place, and need to wait awhile longer to enjoy my new toys that have been sitting nearby for 2 months.  New video card and 6 x 16TB WD Red Pros that were on sale back then.  The most frustrating injury I have ever had.

Tyler wants to upgrade and have fun with his systems!!!

I feel you, in a way.  :)  I tore my right biceps tendon last fall finagling a rackmount lead/acid battery UPS and had it reattached in December- the recovery was a bear because there just wasn't a heck of a lot i could do at the computer (and not a super great much playing console).  PT was a bear but i finally got through it.

Hope you have good recovery!

Yeah the PT is going fine, but getting frustrated over the time it takes to get decent strength back.  Best I can do now is upgrade my old Xbox One X with a 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD.  Hopefully the cat will leave the screws alone as I do this.  The full towers will have to wait another 2 months.

• Like 3

Unlike most Air Force brats, I spent 10 years in one place: right here. I grew up here. My house (a six-plex) is gone, replaced by these houses. Half my street is gone. Half the base is gone. The base is a wee bit reluctant to allow me a tour. However, this is my tree. I could see it clearly from the visitor center on my last trip up. My dad and I planted that tree for Arbor Day roughly 40 years ago. Though I will never be able to step foot into the yard where I grew up, my tree is still there and will likely be there for a long time.

gfafb_tree_high_view.thumb.png.d875110dae57864d820220ef16f7a41c.png

gfafb_tree_zoom.thumb.png.04d14749e468ecebb72b6a61980c7abc.png

• Like 7