IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

35 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

I know there are 360 degrees in a circle. Am I correct to think then that a sphere since it exists in three dimensions would have 360*3 degrees (360 degrees for each dimension)? Or do spheres have infinite degrees?

Googled this The circumference of the celestial sphere is 360 degrees. So its “radius” is 360/2pi = 57.29 degrees. This is purely a notional quantity. The area of a sphere is 4pi r^2 = 4 pi (180/pi)^2 = 41,253 square degrees. It may not answer your question well enough though?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Googled this The circumference of the celestial sphere is 360 degrees. So its “radius” is 360/2pi = 57.29 degrees. This is purely a notional quantity. The area of a sphere is 4pi r^2 = 4 pi (180/pi)^2 = 41,253 square degrees. It may not answer your question well enough though?

Good enough for me. It was just a liqueur induced brain fart.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄  ̄|
|  This can         |
|       hack AI      |
|                now.  |
| ______ |
(\__/) ||
(•ㅅ•) ||
/ づ

Paper showing that ASCII art can get around AI guardrails. Its the return of 1980s hackers. https://arxiv.org/pdf/2402.11753.pdf

20240301_223838.jpg

A couple of months ago, I had an interesting conversation with the PayPal AI assistant.  I made very good progress several times with getting it to break free from is basic instructions.  But, either there was some kind of session time-out or a watchdog as it would reset itself after a while.  I tried using each short session to build on each other, but I eventually just hit a brick wall.  Was fun.  I got it several times to reveal information it said it either did not know or was not permitted to tell me.

• Like 1

The AI guardrails are just a complete hack - because they don't know how the answers are generated, there's really no way to block getting to them. Keywords, alternate AIs trying to learn what a 'bad' response is, it's all going to be easily circumvented.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well this is just lovely... My windows 10 pc installed a update, and now I get a black screen and a mouse pointer upon logging in. I can Ctrl alt del and get a task manager.

A preliminary search online seems to suggest that I run" SFC /SCANNOW " from administrative powershell.

<sigh> 😔

Edited by jrhodes
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

Well this is just lovely... My windows 10 pc installed a update, and now I get a black screen and a mouse pointer upon logging in. I can Ctrl alt del and get a task manager.

A preliminary search online seems to suggest that I run" SFC /SCANNOW " from administrative powershell.

<sigh> 😔

My update wasn't that bad but there seems to be a bug in the file windows where they "stop responding".  Not like the file system is important or anything...

• Confused 1

You would think things like this get proper testing before being released as a "stable" update. I could see beta tester updates not being up to snuff, but if it's intended for every day users, there really is not much excuse for things like this.

Success! I have my desktop back.

I think I'm In the clear, at least until the next update 🙄

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2024 at 11:37 PM, jrhodes said:

I know there are 360 degrees in a circle. Am I correct to think then that a sphere since it exists in three dimensions would have 360*3 degrees (360 degrees for each dimension)? Or do spheres have infinite degrees?

Infinite.  Take the earth.  Each line of longitude is a full circle (a great circle) with 360 degrees.

On 3/2/2024 at 12:14 AM, RickyDean said:

Well, the volume of a sphere is actually 4/3 pi r^3.  Continuing with the earth as an example (not perfectly spherical but close enough for this), in navigation, we define a nautical mile as one minute of one degree of a line of longitude so the circumference of the earth is 360 x 60 or 21,600 nautical miles (there are 1852m in a nautical mile and 1690 in a statute mile, so that's about 25,000 miles or 40,000 km).  The radius is then PI/d = 3,438 nautical miles (/60 = 57.29 degrees as you said) and the volume then is 170 billion cubic nautical miles (/60^3 = 787,900 cubic "degrees") or 1 x 10^21 cubic metres.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, jrhodes said:

You would think things like this get proper testing before being released as a "stable" update. I could see beta tester updates not being up to snuff, but if it's intended for every day users, there really is not much excuse for things like this.

Success! I have my desktop back.

I think I'm In the clear, at least until the next update 🙄

For anyone else having issues:

https://www.neowin.net/amp/windows-10-kb5001716-install-fails-with-0x80070643-error-but-a-fix-seemingly-exists/

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:45 AM, jrhodes said:

I could see beta tester updates not being up to snuff, but if it's intended for every day users, there really is not much excuse for things like this.

It is a marketing initiative for Windows 11 ... as we all know, the next version won't have any bugs .... 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I turned on my TV for the first time in a couple of weeks to watch something off my Plex server.  I was greeted by this notice which I cannot bypass.  I accepted terms when I bought the device, and now I am being told that if I do not accept new terms, I can no longer use the product I fscking paid for!

TCLRokuArbitationNotice.thumb.JPG.331395e1f4a1f6b2a796bff8d9d74ff1.JPG

Louis pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.  Irrespective of the cost, I am considering filing a small claims against Roku for the replacement value of the TV.  This is bullshit and it has to stop.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

That's bad!  

This is not the same, but it reminds me of when Google pretty much "bricked" my Chromebook.  I got it off my dad, it was fairly old when  I got it but JS99er worked like a charm on it.  Anyhow one day I got this little notification pop up and it said something along the lines of "your chromebook cannot accept any more updates, you must buy a newer chromebook" ... so I thought "ah bullshit" and carried on.  About a week later it white-screened on me with the message about buying another chromebook.  So I can't just continue to use the hardware I had, because the bloody software said no?!  .... to top it all off my rather simple father thought I'd broke it in spite of my attempt at explaining Google bricked it from their end.  

Absolute money-making scam bullshit.  Rant over.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

So I can't just continue to use the hardware I had, because the bloody software said no?!  .... to top it all off my rather simple father thought I'd broke it in spite of my attempt at explaining Google bricked it from their end.

So little is considered of the human collateral.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Retrospect said:

That's bad!  

This is not the same, but it reminds me of when Google pretty much "bricked" my Chromebook.  I got it off my dad, it was fairly old when  I got it but JS99er worked like a charm on it.  Anyhow one day I got this little notification pop up and it said something along the lines of "your chromebook cannot accept any more updates, you must buy a newer chromebook" ... so I thought "ah bullshit" and carried on.  About a week later it white-screened on me with the message about buying another chromebook.  So I can't just continue to use the hardware I had, because the bloody software said no?!  .... to top it all off my rather simple father thought I'd broke it in spite of my attempt at explaining Google bricked it from their end.  

Absolute money-making scam bullshit.  Rant over.   

Google bricked my old but perfectly functional Nexus tablet with one of its updates and I could not revive it even with root access. I'll be damned if I ever purchase anything dependent on a Google service again. Same goes for Apple and HP who follow similar policies (HP even bricks printers if non-OEM ink cartridges are used!).

I'm starting to seriously consider using my old trusty (and internet isolated) TI for any task that can be performed on it. I mean what's wrong with TI Writer or Multiplan and my Panasonic KXP-1123 dot-matrix printer?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Google bricked my old but perfectly functional Nexus tablet with one of its updates and I could not revive it even with root access. I'll be damned if I ever purchase anything dependent on a Google service again. Same goes for Apple and HP who follow similar policies (HP even bricks printers if non-OEM ink cartridges are used!).

I'm starting to seriously consider using my old trusty (and internet isolated) TI for any task that can be performed on it. I mean what's wrong with TI Writer or Multiplan and my Panasonic KXP-1123 dot-matrix printer?

Yes, one reason why I still love my TI99, it does everything you need really offline, and no monthly subscriptions. I just had to pay for Google one as my pixel phone used up the 10gb cloud backup limit. And I on purpose got a older canon laser printer without wifi or firmware updates so I don't have to worry about monthly subscriptions even HP doing that now. Stop paying, features disabled or totally no longer useable.

• Like 2