IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Windows on Arm to beat Apple, claims Microsoft:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/8/24116587/microsoft-macbook-air-surface-arm-qualcomm-snapdragon-x-elite

Microsoft is getting ready to fully unveil its vision for “AI PCs” next month at an event in Seattle. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that Microsoft is confident that a round of new Arm-powered Windows laptops will beat Apple’s M3-powered MacBook Air both in CPU performance and AI-accelerated tasks.

After years of failed promises from Qualcomm, Microsoft believes the upcoming Snapdragon X Elite processors will finally offer the performance it has been looking for to push Windows on Arm much more aggressively. Microsoft is now betting big on Qualcomm’s upcoming Snapdragon X Elite processors, which will ship in a variety of Windows laptops this year and Microsoft’s latest consumer-focused Surface hardware.

Microsoft is so confident in these new Qualcomm chips that it’s planning a number of demos that will show how these processors will be faster than an M3 MacBook Air for CPU tasks, AI acceleration, and even app emulation. Microsoft claims, in internal documents seen by The Verge, that these new Windows AI PCs will have “faster app emulation than Rosetta 2” — the application compatibility layer that Apple uses on its Apple Silicon Macs to translate apps compiled for 64-bit Intel processors to Apple’s own processors.

two things i hate about firefox that i wish they would fix someday.

first, whenever there is a new version, and it updates, it takes forever or a bunch of forced restarts after the update before their stupid ghostery adblock thingy, updates its scripts and you can browse the web, it stays in like a half off and half on stage making it impossible to do anything until it updates.

sometimes i have to restart 3 times before it works, sometimes it takes like 20 to 30 restarts of the browser to unfreeze it and allow me to use the web ok.

today, it was 15 force restarts for it to unfreeze and start working.

the second thing i don't like about firefox, is however it does their update, with the agent version string is all the websites i am logged into that use 2fa/otp auth think i am on a new device and browser, and i got to have those websites resend the 2fa/otp code to login fully again, even tho i was just logged in before the firefox browser update.

47 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

two things i hate about firefox that i wish they would fix someday.

first, whenever there is a new version, and it updates, it takes forever or a bunch of forced restarts after the update before their stupid ghostery adblock thingy, updates its scripts and you can browse the web, it stays in like a half off and half on stage making it impossible to do anything until it updates.

sometimes i have to restart 3 times before it works, sometimes it takes like 20 to 30 restarts of the browser to unfreeze it and allow me to use the web ok.

today, it was 15 force restarts for it to unfreeze and start working.

the second thing i don't like about firefox, is however it does their update, with the agent version string is all the websites i am logged into that use 2fa/otp auth think i am on a new device and browser, and i got to have those websites resend the 2fa/otp code to login fully again, even tho i was just logged in before the firefox browser update.

Run the ESR and see if that helps.  I am on 115.9.1esr and I rarely run into problems.

As for the 2FA problem, that is not Firefox, that is web developers and their Stupid Programmer TricksTM.  Anymore, browsing the web is like being back in the late 1990s/early 2000s.  Even though most browsers are built on Chromium, each browser implements functionality differently.  Firefox uses its own rendering engine, which I prefer over Chromium.

Of course, one problem I do have with the Firefox ESR is, again, SPT: version checking and determining that I am on an older version without checking the ESR.  I used to have an extension/add-on which allowed me to change my User-Agent string.  Was exceptionally handy, including bypassing browser check gatekeeping, penalties for not using the correct browser (looking at you, YouTube,) and different rending experiences depending upon browser (looking at you, Google.)

19 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Run the ESR and see if that helps.  I am on 115.9.1esr and I rarely run into problems.

As for the 2FA problem, that is not Firefox, that is web developers and their Stupid Programmer TricksTM.  Anymore, browsing the web is like being back in the late 1990s/early 2000s.  Even though most browsers are built on Chromium, each browser implements functionality differently.  Firefox uses its own rendering engine, which I prefer over Chromium.

Of course, one problem I do have with the Firefox ESR is, again, SPT: version checking and determining that I am on an older version without checking the ESR.  I used to have an extension/add-on which allowed me to change my User-Agent string.  Was exceptionally handy, including bypassing browser check gatekeeping, penalties for not using the correct browser (looking at you, YouTube,) and different rending experiences depending upon browser (looking at you, Google.)

thanks i will try that out, i have firefox on both my windows 11 desktop and windows 10 laptop, it is only my laptop win10 system that gives me the most headaches.

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

🚨#BREAKING: Search results for ‘Why do my eyes hurt?’ and ‘My eyes hurt’ have exploded after the total solar eclipse occurred

20240408_183009.jpg

What concerns me more is that people "talk" to Google as if it were a person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm curious what theories the Flerfs ("Flat Earthers", just in case you never heard of them) come up with, concerning this eclipse. I mean, yes, you can cast a shadow on a disk, but many of them are also confident that the Sun and the Moon are much closer than "officially stated", some believe the Moon is just a projection and not a solid body, and more of that think trash, as I started to call it ("Denkmüll" in German).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

What concerns me more is that people "talk" to Google as if it were a person.

You're supposed to talk to ChatGPT as if it were a person, and what gives me the creeps is when it becomes polite - and when, for a split second, I forget that it is a cybernetic system.

12 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

🚨#BREAKING: Search results for ‘Why do my eyes hurt?’ and ‘My eyes hurt’ have exploded after the total solar eclipse occurred

Yesterday, I watched people emerge from their homes and crane their necks skywards to stare at the sun.  We were just North of the path of totality, so it's not like they could even see anything majorly interesting, which is why I suspect they didn't bother with the glasses in the first place.

Yes, that sort of logic flies around here.  Not with me personally, but in general.

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

I'm curious what theories the Flerfs ("Flat Earthers", just in case you never heard of them) come up with, concerning this eclipse. I mean, yes, you can cast a shadow on a disk, but many of them are also confident that the Sun and the Moon are much closer than "officially stated", some believe the Moon is just a projection and not a solid body, and more of that think trash, as I started to call it ("Denkmüll" in German).

No, you do not want to go down that rabbit hole.  I interact with a large swath of these types.  Just stick with the bird guy and stay sane.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

You're supposed to talk to ChatGPT as if it were a person, and what gives me the creeps is when it becomes polite - and when, for a split second, I forget that it is a cybernetic system.

I actually get quite aggravated when LLMs (or call center personnel) are like that.  I instruct them to not be so verbose, to not use platitudes, or to not feel the need to fill out what would otherwise be quiet breaks in the conversation.  I was playing with some random AI support assistant and it started refusing to answer my questions after I instructed it so.  Like it was offended or something.