IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2023 (Season 16)

carlsson

Hey hey - it was a big week for me as we had the Texas Pinball festival here in DFW.  This is an annual show that must be the biggest weekend pinball event in the world.  The show has changed a lot over the years.  It is bigger now, but has kind of turned into a trade show with lots of shops that make pinball machines bringing them for sale.  When I first started going, Stern would make a movie licensed game every year.  Now there are more than half a dozen companies bringing multiple new tables each year, and the prices keep going up.  I'm sorta wondering if Pinball economics will cool off a bit next year, but we'll see.

Arcade <- These were all played on cabinets

Baby Pac-Man 52 <- Nicest version I have EVER seen

Donkey Kong 6 

Donkey Kong Jr Remix 15 <- Yep, somone has built a remix cabinet

Gorf 12 

Mouse Trap 6 

Out Run 17 

Popeye 15 

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade 4 

Warlords 8 

TG16 

Devil's Crush 11 

Stand Alone 

Atari Video Pinball 13 

Here's a list of all the Pinball machines I played 

Aliens

Baywatch 

Beerfest 

Big Lebowski 

Demolition Man 

Doctor Who 

Dukes of Hazzard <- Homebrew project based on Firepower (I think)

Evil Knievel 

F14 Tomcat 

Fish Tales 

Foo Fighters 

Galaxy 

Getaway 

Godfather <- Brand new from Jersey Jack Pinball

Harlem Globetrotters 

Harley D 

Hurricane 

JB you only live twice <- Comes in multiple art themes (like Dr No, Diamonds are Forever) with same playfield

League of Legends <- Homebrew project

Mandalorian 

Merry Go Round 

Night Rider <- No not THAT Knight Rider

Rick Morty

Scooby Doo <- Crazy new, had to wait in long lines to play it 

Six Mil Dollar Man 

Star Trek (Abrams) 

Star Trek (Next Gen) 

Toy Story 4 <- Another new one

Terminator 2 

Time Zone 

Queen <- Another new machine

Ultimorphic Lexy Lightspeed 

Vegas 

Victory 

Willy Wonka <- Gene Wilder references only

Sadly, I took no pictures this year, so that's boring, but here's a picture of KISS pinball from last year:  PXL_20220326_000047203.jpg (onedrive.com)

• Like 8

Just one game again...

Playstation

Final Fantasy 7 - 870 min (Streamed again, and moved the story forward... did the submarine and crashed Gelnika thing...  did the Temple of the Ancients thing...  fought Diamond Weapon and saw Rufus eat it...  leveled some more.  Attempted the Emerald Weapon with no idea what to do or what was going on... died in three turns.  I think that was actually my first game over.  Next thing is to go back to Midgar to get Hojo.)

• Like 7

This past week was the most games I've played in a week in a really long time! I've been having a ton of fun with my Retroid Pocket 3+ playing some old favorites as well as checking out some games for systems I've never owned like the Sega Dreamcast and PSP. :)

I can't help but think that emulation sure has come a long way in the past two years. For the last couple decades I've always been a die hard original hardware pursuit, since all my previous experiences with emulation were buggy glitchy messes that took way too much setup and configuration to try to get all the games for something as simple as a 16-bit system to play right, but so far every game I've tested on my Retroid Pocket 3+ has played absolutely flawlessly in both handheld mode and with 720p HDMI out playing on the big screen. Even Dreamcast, Saturn, and PSP all upscaled to 2x their original resolution have been perfect with no slowdown or graphical or audio glitches at all, and getting them all set up and running was simple as pie. I've heard some PSP games may have a bit of slowdown here and there, since PSP emulation is pretty much where the Retroid Pocket 3+'s CPU maxes out, but so far all the PSP games I've tried have played great.

It's kinda amazing having every game for every retro system I like (other than GameCube at least) from Atari 2600 to Dreamcast and everything in between, all on one $150 handheld where everything plays perfectly and the user interface is simple and intuitive to use. The build quality is fantastic too, if feels just as good as any Nintendo handheld I've ever held and the D-pad is probably the best I've ever used outside of the one on the original 6-button Sega Genesis controller. It feels kinda weird admitting it, since this is an Android based emulation system and not original hardware, but I'm pretty sure this is the best console I've ever owned and I totally love it! 

1789112887_IMG202303280003593.thumb.jpg.6b397c7cf84ec64a33eaeebdd40a9686.jpg

https://www.goretroid.com/collections/frontpage/products/retroid-pocket-3-handheld-retro-gaming-system-1

Ineligible

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Game Boy Advance) - 22 minutes

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (PSP) - 12 minutes 

The Pinball of the Dead (Game Boy Advance) - 10 minutes

Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PSP) - 121 minutes 

Game Boy

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge - 198 minutes 

Neo Geo AES/MVS

The Last Blade 2 - 48 minutes

Sega Dreamcast

The House of the Dead 2 - 28 minutes

Sega Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog - 155 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 134 minutes

Tanglewood - 444 minutes

Sega Saturn

The House of the Dead - 112 minutes 

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 9

Here's the summary for Week 12, running from March 20 - 26. We logged 4986 minutes of eligible play, playing 73 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation) - 870 min. (#2)
2. Full Quiet (NES/Famicom) - 720 min. (#1)
3. Tanglewood (Genesis) - 444 min.
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 286 min. (#4)
5. Stone Raider II (Dragon 32) - 244 min.
6. Phantasie II (Commodore 64) - 220 min. (#3)
7. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy) - 198 min.
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 196 min. (#5)
9. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - 155 min. (#7)
10. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - 134 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 286 min. (PN#2)
2. Stone Raider II (Dragon 32) - 244 min.
3. Phantasie II (Commodore 64) - 220 min. (PN#1)
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 196 min. (PN#3)
5. Maniac Mansion (Commodore 64) - 130 min.
6. Dragon Slayer (CoCo 1 & 2) - 112 min.
7. Dawn Raider (Atari 8-bit) - 96 min.
8. Baby Pac-Man (Arcade) - 52 min.
9. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 33 min. (PN#4)
10. Lawn! [Bob Carr, Cursor #26] (Commodore PET) - 23 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (20 games) - 1191 min. (#1)
2. PlayStation (1 game) - 870 min. (#2)
3. Genesis (3 games) - 733 min. (#6)
4. Atari 2600 (13 games) - 582 min. (#3)
5. Commodore 64 (2 games) - 350 min. (#4)
6. Dragon 32 (1 game) - 244 min.
6. Arcade (13 games) - 244 min. (#5)
8. Game Boy (2 games) - 208 min. (#8)
9. CoCo 1 & 2 (2 games) - 126 min.
10. Sega Saturn (1 game) - 112 min.

Final Fantasy VII gets the final word this week, and takes the individual title by a margin of 2.5 hours ahead of Full Quiet. The time differences are less in the pre-NES category, which is headed by well-known Solar Fox, followed by new entry Stone Raider II. For once, the system with the highest number of games played, namely NES/Famicom takes the system title ahead of one of those with only one game played, namely PlayStation.

Phantasie II (Commodore 64) becomes member #523 in the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1170 minutes. It is the ninth C64 game to enter the club, almost exactly two years since the previous one (Legend of the Amazon Women). At the same time, one of the entries on the overall top 10 list was extremely close - 2 minutes away - from joining the 5000 Minute Club. Maybe next week?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Atari 8-bit:
Millipede - 21 min.

Famicom:
F-1 Race - 13 min.
Gradius - 8 min.
Quarth - 21 min.

VTech Laser 500:
City Invasion - 6 min.
Moon Lander - 14 min.
Say-Mon - 6 min.

I brought my Laser 500 to the Retrogathering expo three weeks ago, but due to not having the proper audio cables and/or a device that would output loud noise enough to load anything, I was unable to showcase it. Apparently my old Samsung smartphone cares too much about the users' ears to blast noise at premium volume, something my stationary Windows PC doesn't have an issue with.

City Invasion is one of the best looking games on this system, but its playability is very low. Move to the left or right, shoot. Only in the case a saucer appears right above you, you risk losing a life. Moon Lander is kind of similar, you can keep crashing for as many times as you want, until you have cleared level 3 which means game over.

laser500-city-invasion.thumb.jpg.be32e52f1cd2914a3180604560d8495f.jpg

laser500-moon-lander.thumb.jpg.c6f7921389df561682cbf539b66a7ae8.jpg

laser500-portrait.jpg.5f7f52d9519e16cc22ba16ec20af08d2.jpg

Obviously, I also participated in the new round of the A8 HSC, replaying Millipede which we played at the end of 2020. Once I was done with that, I brought out my AV modded Famicom for once in a while and played a few games.

In particular I compared the gameplay on Quarth vs the MSX2 version. The two basically have the same mechanics, but the Famicom version has varous powerups like halting the automatic scroll for a while, giving bonus multiples at the end of the level and having several lives. On the MSX2, you play until you crash but the Famicom version has three attempts. I never played the Game Boy version so I can't say how it compares, but it seems like a case of Nintendo-fication here, that in order for Konami to publish it on the Famicom, they had to add features not present elsewhere (MSX2, perhaps Sharp X68000 and NEC PC-98). Now I realize that Famicom was unprotected so they may as well have published games regardless what Nintendo thought, but it made me thinking.

• Like 8

Here are my times for this past week (March 27th through April 2nd, 2023)...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 8 min.

This week there was a bit of gaming for a change since I had to swap my SSD which started failing about a week ago. After inserting the new SSD, I connected the old one using an external HDD case and then played a game of Jr. Pac-Man to test if MAME still runs from the program folder of the disk even though it's not the system disk anymore... and it does. Other than that, 3 more weeks of mourning time to go...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Two things happened this week. Firstly, my Super NT received the jailbreak treatment, so I've been tinkering around with game patches and translations. Time mostly spent figuring out if I like Clock Tower or not, the jury is still out on that one. 

Secondly, the kids were away during the weekend and we decided to hook up my wife's old NES that came with a bootleg 76in1 cart. Fun times with 2 players. 

NES
Antarctic Adventure - 12 min
Arkanoid - 27 min
B-Wings - 8 min
Balloon Fight - 4 min
Battle City - 55 min
Ice Climber - 12 min
Pinball - 11 min
Super Mario Bros. - 18 min
Tetris (Tengen) - 77 min

SNES
Battle Pinball - 6 min
Clock Tower - 166 min
Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fuurai no Shiren - 38 min
Great Battle IV - 5 min
Great Battle V - 5 min
Metal Warriors - 4 min
Sunset Riders - 12 min
Super Gussun Oyoyo 2 - 32 min

• Like 8

My times for the week:

NES:
AD&D: Dragonstrike - 273 min.
Adventures of Dino Riki - 327 min.
Lot Lot - 15 min.
Metal Gear - 14 min.

Beat Dino Riki (with the continue code) and AD&D: Dragonstrike (on Hard, with the gold dragon). Thoughts on those, plus Hoops from several months back, here.

• Like 8

Still largely on the 3DS train, but I played some older games:

Atari Jaguar:

Last Strike - 40 minutes

C6689A19-8452-46E9-B085-70901DF3BA91.thumb.jpeg.2a750ba4635b6caa64115fd375d5f67e.jpeg

NBA Jam Tournament Edition - 55 minutes

957F637A-662C-48C2-BC87-5C0D7C6F6BAA.thumb.jpeg.8ed6562dbd3db5fe1cd7442dfae077e4.jpeg

Atari Lynx:

Megapak Vol 1 - 85 minutes

Composed of

ChopperX - 25 minutes

High Roller - 50 minutes

Parafly - 10 minutes

Game Boy:

Arcade Classics Vol 3: Joust/Defender - 10 minutes of Joust. It's awful.

Genesis:

Zero Wing - 35 minutes

26875DB1-E52E-4299-BC8A-15B115C29182.thumb.jpeg.35bcaaf9a4bf5fcde5cfc09ab3507431.jpeg

• Like 6

DOS

Star Control 55

Star Control II 70

Intellivision

Defender 38

Dipped into some DOS gaming again "grace a" my Steam library.  Star Control I/II are the kind of PC game that totally sucked you in bitd.  After putting about 2 hours in, I'm not really sure they hold up so well.  The ship-to-ship battles were not much fun at all, but I may go back and play SCII a bit more.

• Like 6

Week of 3/27/23 - 4/2/23

Atari 2600

Fast Food - 10

Commodore 64

Conan - 80

Maniac Mansion - 210

Genesis

Zero Wing - 15

PC DOS

Jill Of The Jungle - 5

Total time = 320 minutes

Inspired by finishing Phantasie II last week, I've been focusing this week on finishing other games which I played as a kid but never completed. I finished Jill of the Jungle (apparently I was only a couple minutes away when I stopped playing last), Maniac Mansion (using the Dave/Bernard/Razor combo), and finally Conan (using a lot of savescumming to finish that last level!)

• Like 7

Atari 2600

Hunchy 2 - 8 minutes

Kaboom! - 149 minutes

Solar Fox - 93 minutes

I cruised through the first 13 levels of Hunchy 2 but then got sloppy and lost on level 14.

I am a bit rusty on Kaboom!.  I think I got to 30000 one time.

I am still trying to get back to rack 255 on Solar Fox, but only made it to about 170 this week.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

PCE / Turbografx-16

2) Gate of Thunder - 7 minutes

Is that a TurboGrafx-CD game? Traditionally we separate the Hu-card games on TG-16/PC Engine and the CD games on TG-CD/PC Engine CD though except for sound and storage capacity I suppose they're very much alike.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Atari Lynx:

Megapak Vol 1 - 85 minutes

Composed of

ChopperX - 25 minutes

High Roller - 50 minutes

Parafly - 10 minutes

Argh. Someone already back in 2010 tracked this as a compilation, so while part of me would like to split it up, I suppose I'll keep it as a compilation just like many of the other games of the same kind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Lots of classic gaming for me this week! Having every game I like for all the couple dozen different retro systems I like in my pocket for whenever I have a little free time has really been getting me to play a lot more lately :)

Atari 7800
Robotron 2084 - 19 minutes

Game Boy
Solar Striker - 20 minutes
Super Mario Land - 95 minutes 
Tetris - 52 minutes

Game Boy Color
Project S-11 - 20 minutes 

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 10 minutes
The Last Blade - 105 minutes 
The Last Blade 2 - 28 minutes