IGNORED

Does anyone have this VCS document Linux-Install-Guide.pdf

crash

I think I downloaded that when it was live and might still have it somewhere.   I'll post it if I find it.

However if you've ever installed Linux before, it will be pretty straightforword on VCS.   You can use a Live USB to try it out

Edited by zzip

Installing Windows 10 seems to be something of an ordeal since it seems necessary to do it on another computer then move the drive to the VCS. I've attempted this twice already with WinToUSB but haven't succeeded in making a drive that doesn't blue screen on boot in the VCS.

I didn't know if installing Linux was the same, and the PC Mode Linux sticks are no longer available. I wanted to install an OS on the M.2 SATA drive rather than running from USB; maybe even dual boot Windows/Linux

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, crash said:

Installing Windows 10 seems to be something of an ordeal since it seems necessary to do it on another computer then move the drive to the VCS. I've attempted this twice already with WinToUSB but haven't succeeded in making a drive that doesn't blue screen on boot in the VCS.

I didn't know if installing Linux was the same, and the PC Mode Linux sticks are no longer available. I wanted to install an OS on the M.2 SATA drive rather than running from USB; maybe even dual boot Windows/Linux

Thanks!

No Linux is not tricky like Windows apparently is.

I did see a post yesterday that suggested that trick to getting Windows to install was to switch the boot setting in BIOS to Legacy mode because Windows doesn't install in UEFI mode.   I have not tested this myself 

Here you go!  It's odd that Atari removed it.

The install process is definitely simpler than installing Windows.

However, when booting Linux I always have to press escape at startup and manually select the external drive.  With Windows I don't have to do that - it boots automatically.  I'm not sure why.

Linux-Install-Guide.pdf