IGNORED

DaDither - another one image converter

DecAns

13 hours ago, DecAns said:

Also I'm looking for sample YAPP and FRACTALS images. It doesn't have to be something highly artistic. If there are a couple of circles and rectangles, then that's fine with me.

Here are some images from Fractals; as it is the only program which uses that format, I don't have simpler images. TIImageTool can display them for reference.

fractals_images.dsk

• Like 1

G6 and G7 modes added. Some details.

512x192: Image can be saved as MyArt file (.MyArtG6FA, magic byte - 0xFA) and as YAPP file (.yapp, magic byte - 0xFA). TIIimageTool displays images correctly.

512x212: Image can be saved as MyArt file (.MyArtG6FA, magic byte - 0xFA) and as YAPP file (.yapp, magic byte - 0xFA). TIIimageTool displays images correctly.

512x424: Image can be saved as YAPP file (.yapp, magic byte - 0x7A). TIIimageTool displays images correctly.

256x192: Image can be saved as MyArt file (.MyArtG700, magic byte - 0x00) and as YAPP file (.yapp, magic byte - 0xFE). TIIimageTool displays .MyArtG700 as 256x212 and displays .yapp incorrectly (I don't know where the error is, in my code or in the TIIimageTool code).

256x212: Image can be saved as MyArt file (.MyArtG700, magic byte - 0x00) and as YAPP file (.yapp, magic byte - 0xFE). TIIimageTool displays .MyArtG700 correctly and displays .yapp incorrectly (I don't know where the error is, in my code or in the TIIimageTool code).

256x424: Image can be saved as YAPP file (.yapp, magic byte - 0x7E). TIIimageTool displays images incorrectly (I don't know where the error is, in my code or in the TIIimageTool code).

Maybe someone can check how files open in viewers in an emulator or a real machine.

5 minutes ago, mizapf said:

there is just a black bar at the bottom (lines 193-212)

It means that you detect 212 lines instead of 192.

5 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I'll have to check whether YAPP uses some features that are not compatible with Myart.

The only difference is the Magic value, which is in the second byte of file. The files 256x192_YAPP.yapp and 256x192_MYART.MyArtG700 are absolutely identical byte-to-byte, except for the Magic value, but 256x192_MYART.MyArtG700 is displayed correctly, and 256x192_YAPP.yapp is not.

I did not check for 192 lines, in fact. My intention for TIImageTool was rather to have a quick way of checking the picture content, so the black bar was OK for me.

As for the YAPP issue, I need a closer check; I suspect an error in the file record reading. I'm getting a bad export from TIImageTool, so it is likely that the records are wrongly read.

7 minutes ago, mizapf said:

but I see numerous differences

Could you also compare original files from zip?

Something strange:

1) Create empty floppy disc in TIImageTool.

2) Drag&Drop file 256x192_YAPP.yapp to TIImageTool to add the file to to disc

3) Run Save as TIFILES command.

4) And 256x192_YAPP.yapp is not equal to saved file.

1 hour ago, DecAns said:

Could you also compare original files from zip?

I was too slow to remove my previous posting, so you answered to it; these differences are not real. Or let's say, they originate inside TIImageTool.

The error is in the TIImageTool ImageFrame class;

nPos = (g6 | yapp)? 0x22 : 0x02;

This means it treats G6 and YAPP equally, which means that a G7 YAPP image does not work. When I remove the "|yapp", it works, but I have to check why it is there.

• 2 months later...

@DecAns It´s a wonderful program you've done, thanks!

After testing it and saved a couple of pictures in G7 interlaced, I tried to load the pictures on my Geneve, but saved files were only 256*212 interlaced. So half the image wasn't saved.

Have I missed some setting to be able to save interlaced pictures in 256*424?

I have not yet tested G6 Interlaced.

Edited by Nick99

6 hours ago, Nick99 said:

but saved files were only 256*212 interlaced

You can check the real resolution of the created file by opening it in the DaDither program.

Could you explain me step-by-step how can I reproduce the problem?

Edited by DecAns

What I've done is:

First I drag a picture to DaDither.

Change "Screen" to V9938 256x424x8 interlace.

Change "Position" to "Fit Source in result".

Change the Dithering method to Sierra.

Click on "Result" and choose "Save as YAPP..."

"Fileformat: TI-99/4A image".

I get a file, <Filename>.yapp

I then remove the .yapp, copy the file to my TIPI-folder and then load PictureTransfer on my Geneve and load the image.

The image information that is shown in PictureTransfer says it's 256x212 and 256 colors.

If I "Display" it, then I will get a stretched half picture, which it should be non interlaced, when I change to "I1" in PictureTransfer I get correct ratio but still a half picture.

When I check the picture in DaDither the picture is complete and the resolution shown says it is 256x424 interlaced.

I have attached the .yapp-file  and the one renamed from my TIPI-folder.

IRISHFAERY IrishFaery.yapp

• Like 1

Do you have any another G7 256x424 image (not created by DaDither) that can be used to test the problem? Are you sure PictureTransfer is the correct tool and can handle G6 256x424 images? Is there a document describing the PictureTransfer tool?

Edited by DecAns

I don't have access to any of the interlaced MyArt images, they are on diskettes and I have no disk drive on my Geneve or TI-99.

If it by any chance can be helpful I have attached a GIF-file G7 interlaced, it is viewed correct with PictureTransfer.

I know I viewed an interlaced MyArt image of a tiger on an earlier version of PictureTransfer back in 1998, so I guess the newer version should be working too.

Sadly, I have no more information about PictureTransfer, maybe @9640News have?

COLIBRI_I

10 minutes ago, Nick99 said:

I have attached a GIF-file G7 interlaced, it is viewed correct with PictureTransfer.

When converting an image to G7 format, there is an option to save the file as a GIF. Can PictureTransfer work with such files, or does it require an TI header?

I tried it, it has to have a TI header. I converted it with TI-Disk Manager on Mac OSX, but PictureTransfer said that the GIF-file didn't have a color table.

When I converted the colibri with Photoshop the GIF-format had to be Compuserve GIF, otherwise it can't be viewed on the Geneve.