IGNORED

Best VCS games you owned in your opinion?

oky2000

OK I am going to have to say excluding modern stuff so nothing after the eighties.

I don't know, I will really have to sit down and play a whole bunch of them but from what I remember it would probably come down to Star Raiders, Berzerk, Space Invaders, Vanguard or Phoenix. Although Space Invaders is a very boring arcade game the extra enhancements possible on the VCS game variations like co-op play improved the longevity a lot. Vanguard is a real technical triumph AND an awesome arcade game. Phoenix for me is also better than Pheenix on Sinclair/ Commodore 16 or Eagle Empire on C64 or Acorn computers for me. There were loads of great games but these are the top 5 of the games I owned. Not sure which one I would pick but definitely in that group of 5.

How about you?

I own two physical cartridges: Berzerk and Space Invaders. Other than that, most of what I have is digital. I would say Berzerk is the best one out of the two physical games I own. However, they are my first Atari games that I've purchased...and they were from a thrift shop and stuff. Yay!

Edited by r_chase
Corrections.

I got hooked on three games years ago. Combat, Fishing Derby and Boxing. Those were the ones I had access to back then. If we're talking about what I play now, it's  a little of everything and there aren't many I don't  like. I have everything on the Harmony Encore, but I still have carts of Combat and Fishing Derby. 

• Like 1

When i do a 2600 session I'll start off with Yars revenge, once it gets to the maximum difficulty I consider that I've beaten the game.

I like Pitfall 2, its like a metroid style of game that works well with a lot of stuff to see and nice smooth scrolling when moving up and down between screens.

Usually after that its onto arcade games so I'll try seaquest, millipede, missile command and cosmic arc. Frogger gets a bit of a play too.

Dragster is fun for a few of tries to get into the 5 second range and pole position is fun for a few laps.

One day I was at the market and was very happy to see pitfall 2, I thought it has an extra chip in it so its a must have. When I got home it had pressure cooker inside it but I was still happy with it. Its the most fun game on the system to me.

After this I'll try out homebrews.

• Like 1

My 2 fav physical 2600 carts in collection-

For game play-Defender- This is my go to game after a challenging day at work as it relaxes my mind.

For sentimental reasons-Red box Coleco Donkey Kong-Not for the game play, but just for sentimental reasons about the day I got the cart back in December 1982. 

• Like 1

As a kid I played tons of:

Adventure

Berzerk

Bowling

Boxing

Breakout

Circus Atari

Defender

Kaboom!

Miniature Golf

Missile Command

Ms. Pac-Man

Phaser Patrol

Pitfall

River Raid

Robot Tank

Space Invaders

Starmaster

Video Pinball

Yars Revenge

OG games I found and fell in love with in the adult/collector era:

Chopper Command

Centipede

Dig Dug

Millipede

Pengo

Phoenix

Pitfall II

Q-Bert

Realsports Volleyball

Room of Doom

Save Mary

Seaquest

Spider Fighter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guessing he's aware of most brews, but is just looking to reminisce about the old days. Lots of threads throughout the years on the subject of course, but some of the games I owned, played a lot and love/d BITD:

Alien
Atlantis

Bermuda Triangle
Berzerk

Bowling

Carnival

Centipede

Coconuts
Cosmic Ark

Cosmic Creeps

Dark Cavern

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong

E.T.

Fast Eddie

Fathom

Gorf (Looking forward to Gorf Arcade)

Infiltrate

Journey Escape

Joust

Jungle Hunt

Kangaroo

Mario Bros.

Midnight Magic

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pac-Man

Mouse Trap

Pengo

Phoenix (like it better than the arcade to this day)

Planet Patrol

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Reactor

Riddle of the Sphinx

SW: Empire Strikes Back 

Starmaster

SuperChallenge Baseball

Super Breakout

Superman

Tutankham

Venture

...Raiders, Riddle, SC Baseball and Superman I'll probably never revisit and haven't really since the 80s. E.T. and most of these others however, still get a play every great now and again. Oh and Venture Reloaded over Coleco's Venture today for sure. 😀 

• Like 1

Have to say I really loved most of the games I had for the VCS BITD. Very, very few exceptions. Even the games I didn't "love", I'd still play once in a while - just not as frequently. Games such as:

Atari Video Cube

Crystal Castles
Fast Food

Ghost Manor/Spike's Peak
Kool-Aid Man
Laser Blast

Megamania

Private Eye

Sneak 'n Peak

Space Chase

Tennis

...and then there were games like SwordQuest Earth/Fireworld, which I would have gladly accepted a refund or trade-in for, had it been an option.  pfft!  🤪

• Like 1

Beamrider - it blew me away BITD and it's still my favorite today.

I also really liked Enduro, Pitfall, HERO, Space Battle, Phoenix, Dig Dug, Demon Attack and Dragonfire

One game I didn't enjoy that much as a kid but absolutely love now is Kaboom!

On 1/5/2023 at 10:50 PM, r_chase said:

I own two physical cartridges: Berzerk and Space Invaders. Other than that, most of what I have is digital. I would say Berzerk is the best one out of the two physical games I own. However, they are my first Atari games that I've purchased...and they were from a thrift shop and stuff. Yay!

Two excellent introductions to the VCS. I remember playing Berzerk all day when I was off sick from school :)

On 1/19/2023 at 11:48 PM, GoldLeader said:

Have you seen the homebrews available?  (I know you said nothing after the 80's,  not sure why, unless you don't like homebrews, don't collect them, or already have some and just wanted different info...)

Just saying it's a whole new world now,..Maybe check some out!

I do know about them, hence the cut-off point, but I can't play them on real hardware and/or afford them etc so I have none but it is more about seeing what other people enjoyed playing back then when I had mine. I must have liked it because I got a cheap 2600jr in 1988 or something when my six switch woody failed. The only negative point I ever had about my VCS was the price of the games, so I missed out on a lot of games back then and if you play them now today 4 decades later without nostalgia it's not quite the same. Besides it's always cool to see what other people liked to play back then :)

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 2:07 AM, Stephen said:

Space Invaders, Asteroids, Night Driver, Indy 500 (always used the ice track so I could drift), Demon Attack going by most hours spent on playing them BITD.

I played Indy 500 for the first time a few years ago with those awesome driving controllers, the handling is brilliant.