IGNORED

Jaguar Homebrew VS Megadrive / Genesis Homebrew

mdkdue

42 minutes ago, alucardX said:

I would like to buy a copy of Gravitic Mines when I get the chance. Just from looking at videos I prefer the art and graphics from Gravitic Mines more than Gravitar: Recharged. Even more impressive is that Gravitic Mines is running on hardware from 30 years ago.

You won't be disappointed! Incredible Game!!! 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Holy cow check this Genesis homebrew out.

A company/corporation is not exactly what I would call homebrew!

They are working with a budget and are hiring people.

https://www.ancient.co.jp/index.html

But please Jagchris, ask them how feasible they think it would be developing for Jaguar then? ;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, agradeneu said:

But please Jagchris, ask them how feasible they think it would be developing for Jaguar then? ;-)

Reminds me of the first level in this superb shooter on Core Grafx (yes I only cleared the first level a couple times, but even that is fun enough for me):

A side scroller like this (with one 16x16 tile layer) should be perfectly feasable on the Jaguar. It probably would take years for a small team to develop such fun game (with varied, non-repeating parts on each level). Plus an environment that the player can interact with, like shooting trough the organic walls.

I had some high hopes for a Jaguar sequel to Odynexus, but no updates on that yet 😕

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, phoboz said:

I had some high hopes for a Jaguar sequel to Odynexus, but no updates on that yet 😕

Thanks for the interest.

We are currently working on the release of the Lynx game and then we will see. A sequel could be possible for Jaguar, but there was just an image of concept art being done so far, nothing more, no engine, no proto. 

I would not do it with tiles though, rather build the screen with objects and parallax layers. More or less a custom engine that is optimized to do layered graphics and LOTS of sprites at 60FPS.

I would say 2 years development time, seems ok.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JagChris said:

Holy cow check this Genesis homebrew out.

8 hours ago, agradeneu said:

The reason why Chris shared the post is to demostrarte that a developer that used to make official games for the Sega Genesis (i.e. Streets of Rage 2 & 3, and Beyond Oasis) is returning to the plataform after nearly 30 years. Either way, it looks cool.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

The reason why Chris shared the post is to demostrarte that a developer that used to make official games for the Sega Genesis (i.e. Streets of Rage 2 & 3, and Beyond Oasis) is returning to the plataform after nearly 30 years. Either way, it looks cool.

You don't need to explain Jagchris to me and what he tries to "demonstrate", ok? ;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Well I didn't realize they were a corporation. The work is impressive. Its great they're jumping back in the ring.

However whether a big or small corporation its not really needed to produce work like that. Duranik proved that long ago and still keep doing so. Oh sure its helpful but not necessary.

57 minutes ago, JagChris said:

However whether a big or small corporation its not really needed to produce work like that. Duranik proved that long ago and still keep doing so. 

What did Duranik exactly prove to your mind, hm?

That you can't finish a proto without financial backing of a publisher and proper SDK, maybe ?

That is why we have 2 min Native demo since 1997, or over 20 years if you dare to count,  and not Native full game! ;-) 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

What did Duranik exactly prove to your mind, hm?

That you can't finish a proto without financial backing and proper SDK, maybe ?

That is why we have 2 min Native demo since 1997, or over 20 years if you dare to count,  and not Native full game! ;-) 

Wow they didn't have a proper SDK?  Look at that artwork and animationI Can't imagine the lids that homebrew artists will be blowing off things once a proper SDK is available along with some kind of real upload solution and they've had 10-15 years. How advanced was BLL?

Proper financial backing? They had backing for Alpine games? Sturmwind?  I wasn't aware of that. Someone must have been really impressed with what they seen. Was it Red Dot or Red Sun? I can't remember the name of the publisher. I didn't see any mention in the credits for Alpine Games for any kind of backer. Just Roland and Johannes and their sound guy.

Sturmwind credits mention a B-Alive Team but no mention of what their role was.

Edited by JagChris
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Wow they didn't have a proper SDK?  Look at that artwork and animationI Can't imagine the lids that homebrew artists will be blowing off things once a proper SDK is available along with some kind of real upload solution and they've had 10-15 years.

It is all there! Come Jagchris, blow us all away with your programming and artwork skillz!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, agradeneu said:

It is all there! Come Jagchris, blow us all away with your programming and artwork skillz!

It's much easier to continually mis-quote what was "heard" from other people though.  Especially from such well esteemed sources as Gorf and VladR, both absolute masters of unleashing the Jag's untapped potential, and pushing it way over what a PSX, Saturn, and almost N64 could do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Why does everyone have to be a programmer, and/or an artist?

What about dedicated gamers and reviewers? I don't think anyone ask a game journalist to be a programmer.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, phoboz said:

What about dedicated gamers and reviewers? I don't think anyone ask a game journalist to be a programmer.

Being a journalist requires writing skills, actual knowledge on the subject and work too. 

It even is an actual profession you can learn at university! 🙂

Incompetent people making things up don't count, sorry. 

Edited by agradeneu

45 minutes ago, phoboz said:

What do they have to do with getting commercial-quality homebrew games made for the Jag?

13 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Being a journalist requires writing skills, actual knowledge on the subject and work too. 

It even is an actual profession you can learn at university! 🙂

Incompetent people making things up don't count, sorry. 

We also have a lot of influencers and bloggers today. Some of them become very popular based on other skills, like charisma,  looking good or writing things that that people find interesting to read.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What do they have to do with getting commercial-quality homebrew games made for the Jag?

Attracting more gamers, which makes the console more interesting. Other development houses may become interested in the console as a result of that?

3 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

And?

Everyone can easily get their opinion across today, some people may even be more interested in reading what these people think. Rather than what a trained journalist may write, or think?

It's also known that influeners get paid, or get free producs/services from companies who want to get promoted.

Edited by phoboz

Just now, phoboz said:

Attracting more gamers, which makes the console more interesting. Other development houses may become interested in the console as a result of that?

You realize we're talking about the Jaguar, right? I doubt 30 years of a bad reputation is going to be erased by a few enthused gamers and/or game journos. Hell, even DieHard GameFan's overly enthusiastic take on Jag games back when it was a commercial product didn't help.

• Like 2