IGNORED

PC based game creation tools, not coding, for the STFM?

oky2000

I have been looking at doing something on a nice game development tool I hear good things about for another system and was wondering if there was something similar to Scorpion Engine for the ST.

I know there is a great set of stuff used by programmers, but I am not a machine code programmer and this is more like a modern tool that generates executable games on vintage hardware. 

• Like 1

Scorpion Engine is a Windows based development environment similar to PC game development tools (Unity/Unreal etc) and it has at least the speed of competently written compiled C or better, not quite Paul Howarth or Martin Edmondson level of chipset banging but light years ahead of even AMOS or Blitz BASIC.

So things like STOS, which are ST applications, are not going to be what I want. That is a not very fast full blown programming language. I had STOS, I used it to write some routines for all the arcade graphics I did by hand in Neochrome after coming home from the arcades and the performance was so poor I never bothered with STOS again ;)

There is a collection of tools that yield great results, a sort of developer pack, but that is for machine code programmers. 

I would like to do some simple games like Nintendo's Popeye etc (static screen, not too many software sprites) but I would have to spend weeks and months re-learning all the programming. Looking for a game creation tool not a programming language suite. 

Shmup construction kit would be useful for doing some vertical scrolling games etc, but it's too limiting a tool as I am not planning on doing any v-scroll shmups. 

On 1/7/2023 at 9:20 AM, TGB1718 said:

STOS maybe, not modern, also don't think it works on STE

STOS has worked on STe's since version 2.5 (2.6 for TOS 1.62).  There was also an unofficial version 2.7 that worked on all ST models including the Falcon.

And yes I had used STOS on my STe...

For PC development, the same guy who wrote STOS & AMOS also created AOZ Studio which uses AMOS/STOS source code.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:13 AM, TGB1718 said:

I have one of the earlier versions (actual floppy disks :) ) which is probably why it it doesn't work on my STE

Ok, I see...

I got my copy of STOS 2.6 from an ST Format coverdisk and the patched up version from another.  They also had STOSFIX for fixing pre-compiled programs as well.

I know everyone here complains about online updates but BITD you had to send away for updates on floppy disk which cost you money and travel through snail mail...assuming the ST developer is even still around.

6 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Ok, I see...

I got my copy of STOS 2.6 from an ST Format coverdisk and the patched up version from another.  They also had STOSFIX for fixing pre-compiled programs as well.

I know everyone here complains about online updates but BITD you had to send away for updates on floppy disk which cost you money and travel through snail mail...assuming the ST developer is even still around.

On the other hand the developer was generally a nice human being who you could often engage in correspondance with and might even fix a specific thing for you on occasion :)

• Like 2