IGNORED

Stubborn Atari 2600 Cartridge

The Mr. Video

Hi, a few months ago, I got a ton of Atari 2600 cartridges, manuals, and other goodies from a local game store liquidation sale. Most of the cartridges work fine except for one. It is a standard looking Atari cartridge with no identifying labels on it and it just won't work. I've tried cleaning the contacts with both rubbing alcohol and DeoxIT and have even tried using different 2600 systems to no avail. It languished in my closet until I remembered about it today and decided to ask you all if there is anything else I could try before counting it out completely. I don't think it's anything rare, I'm just curious about whether or its possible to get it working again.

20230107_130019.thumb.jpg.163de87f45f38e26c71bca27e8552e2d.jpg20230107_130033.thumb.jpg.74215b4724b1c6701e198292017ed62c.jpg

It's really quite rare, but ROM chips actually can go bad.  But in this case (do you have a multimeter?)  I'd check the continuity of those 2 vias and make sure they are ok.  If not, a bit of solder in both of them might get you going.

It would still be possible (probably) to un-solder that chip and read it with an EPROM burner or something just to figure out what game it is.  The curiosity alone would MAKE me do it, LOL....

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 7:44 PM, glurk said:

It's really quite rare, but ROM chips actually can go bad.  But in this case (do you have a multimeter?)  I'd check the continuity of those 2 vias and make sure they are ok.  If not, a bit of solder in both of them might get you going.

Sorry for the wait for a response, but I checked the two vias with a multimeter and they both have continuity with their traces on the other side of the board.

On 1/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, simon.plata said:

Searching for the model number C011885 REV F engraved in the bottom side, it could be Vangard.

http://www.timjenkinsweb.com/Atari/chips/chips.aspx

FWIW, C011885 is the part number for the PCB.  Multiple games used that PCB, not just Vanguard.

44 minutes ago, The Mr. Video said:

Sorry for the wait for a response, but I checked the two vias with a multimeter and they both have continuity with their traces on the other side of the board.

Reflow all of the joints at the back of PCB.  If that doesn't work, desolder the IC and transplant it to a known-working PCB.

It's probably toast, but if you have the time to kill, why not? ;-)

On 1/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Reflow all of the joints at the back of PCB.  If that doesn't work, desolder the IC and transplant it to a known-working PCB.

It's probably toast, but if you have the time to kill, why not? ;-)

I had some free-time today, so I decided to do just that. Unfortunately, moving the IC to another working board didn't fix anything. It just exhibited the same results as before. It's probably safe to say that the EPROM has succumbed to bit-rot. Here's a picture of the IC for anyone who wants to take a gander.

20230127_142703.thumb.jpg.8462e8bc8e11866fc387f7c1572299e7.jpg

5 hours ago, Wickeycolumbus said:

Are you confident that you plugged it in the correct way around?

I made sure I plugged it in the right way with the IC side facing away from me. I tested the donor board the same way and it loaded up fine.

1 hour ago, The Mr. Video said:

I had some free-time today, so I decided to do just that. Unfortunately, moving the IC to another working board didn't fix anything. It just exhibited the same results as before. It's probably safe to say that the EPROM has succumbed to bit-rot. Here's a picture of the IC for anyone who wants to take a gander.

Bummer that it didn't work, but at least you didn't put too much effort into it.  Part no. CO12055 is Yars' Revenge, BTW.  Good call on @Wickeycolumbus' behalf.