IGNORED

Atari Flashback Gold Console 50th Anniversary Edition

What I have tested:

1. Joysticks that come with it - Feels “loose” to me. Realized you don’t have to push as far to get them to register. Could probably get used to it.

2. Real aftermarket joystick - Not recognized.

3. Paddles that come with it - Feels “sticky” to me. I tried playing Kaboom and couldn’t get it to turn fast enough. :)

4. Real Paddles - At least the last time I used them on real hardware they were fine, but had a small amount of jitter. However on the flashback, they were recognized, but the jitter was so bad it basically made games unplayable.

5. Adding your own games - I didn’t really test this, but in the instructions for upgrading the firmware, it does mention creating the Game folder on “the USB” and that it only accepts .a26 files. So outside of it being a bad copy and paste, I’d think the chances are pretty good that this would work.

35 minutes ago, Cap5750 said:

5. Adding your own games - I didn’t really test this, but in the instructions for upgrading the firmware, it does mention creating the Game folder on “the USB” and that it only accepts .a26 files. So outside of it being a bad copy and paste, I’d think the chances are pretty good that this would work.

It works, no update needed.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:41 PM,  Brad_from_the_80s said: 

Greetings Atari fans. 

I have had the standard Atari Flashback X sitting around here for a few weeks and finally got around to creating a custom firmware to allow you to load additional roms with boxart from USB (using USB OTG hub/cable and a USB drive of your choice).

The basic idea is the same as the firmware I created for using the SD card on the Flashback 9 series, see original thread here:

Attached here you will find a CFW version for the standard Atari Flashback X, and also one for the Atari Flashback X Deluxe.  The standard firmware has been tested a little, but I don't have a Deluxe model to test.  However it's the exact same hack, so I think it should work for those who need it.  If it does work for you then feel free to report back, or I can tweak as needed.

In the zip archive you will find an atari_update.img file.  You can follow the AtGames official firmware instructions to load this firmware image using the same desktop flashing tools.

HOWEVER, if you have applied at least one of the earlier firmware updates then this new CFW can be applied in a manner similar/same as for the Flashback 9.  Simply attach your USB drive with the atari_update.img file in the root and the system should detect the update and flash the same way it did for Flashback 9.  After successfully applying the firmware delete the atari_update.img file from your USB drive. 

As before, the customizations are activated by the presence of the "mount_sd.ini" file in the root of your USB drive (yeah, I didn't bother renaming it).  By default the custom firmware will dump the internal /rom partition from the device to your attached USB storage and then use the USB copy of /rom for game roms, box art and all-games.ini file. 

Also included is a sample startup.sh custom script you can include in your USB drive.  This script will also dump and run the /emulator partition from your USB drive.  This should allow for tweaking the artwork.

One tip, if you are using an old or slow USB thumb drive (like USB 2.0), you may need to wait a few minutes to allow write operations to complete when first allowing the CFW to dump files, so be patient.

I haven't messed with the Flashback X or this CFW much really.  it's simple enough, and I think it should work fine, but if you do find issues just report here and we'll see what can be done about it.

No warranties, use at your own risk, etc, etc.

Enjoy!

AR3060_CFW.zip 6.23 MB · 1,003 downloads AR3060S_Deluxe_CFW.zip 5.81 MB · 676 downloads

Hi guys, is it possible to update this firmware shown in this thread to run it on the newest system (AR 3080 - Atari Flashback Gold Special Edition) ? Would be great. Many thanks in adavance ! 

Looks like someone is looking at it on another thread.

I can confirm that the USB/Splitter works, though for me it is finicky.

On my first try, I used a 32GB USB 3 flash drive and I couldn't get that to work at all. I switched to an old 2 GB Cruzer and it "works". But sometimes I have to insert and re-insert it to the splitter and turn the unit off and on a couple of times before it loads it.

Also, error handling when it does the loading isn't the best. If it hits a rom that it can't handle, instead of ignoring it or even telling you it can't read it, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and it goes back to the main menu.

Anyway, still a nice feature to have. I was able to play the original Atari 2600 Space Invaders instead of the version that is included.

• Like 1

Hello members of this great place,

I have a simple question. As this little beauty is able to read Space Invaders Part II (Taito), there is any way to get other arcade game on it ?

I tried to use the MAME rom invadpt2.zip, with no success so far.

Cheers,

Xavier

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...