IGNORED

Question on controller rarity

Shaggy the Atarian

While obviously not as common as the good old CX-40 sticks, the remote control joysticks aren't too hard to come by. I believe I have two sets myself, including one boxed, and I didn't go out of my way to get them.

However, they are relatively uncomfortable to hold due to the extended height of the joystick base. If Atari coiuld have made these without changing the shape of the joystick at all, they probably would have been more popular. Not sure that could have easily been done with the technology of the day (at least at a price point people could afford), but it could certainly be done in the present. Would make an interesting product for someone to sell. :)

..Al

I wasn't sure how hard they were to come by, as where I live the only ones I've ever seen are the ones I have. They are sort of uncomfortable as you said, but if you want to sit farther away from your 2600 they are useful. I wonder why Atari made the cords on the CX40 so short, I guess they hadn't gone through the trial and error of joysticks yet ;) I think that a new version that is the same size as the regular stick would certainly be cool and whoever made one nowadays could probably sell a few that's true. Too bad I don't the expertise to do that, I'm still trying to learn how to fix the monitor on my Asteroids Deluxe machine :|

I wonder why Atari made the cords on the CX40 so short, I guess they hadn't gone through the trial and error of joysticks yet ;)

The Atari 2600 was one of the first systems with detachable controllers--even the original Intellivision and Odyssey 2 systems had the controllers firmly attached. Probably Atari assumed people would have the system sitting on a coffee table in front of them, since that was pretty much required of all the Pong or other systems that had the controllers (such as paddles) attached directly to the unit. At least today it's easy to find DB9 extension cables. Unfortunately, with the Reset, Select and Difficulty Switches on the unit, you still need to have it close by.

I think that a new version that is the same size as the regular stick would certainly be cool and whoever made one nowadays could probably sell a few that's true. Too bad I don't the expertise to do that, I'm still trying to learn how to fix the monitor on my Asteroids Deluxe machine  :|

Modern remote controlled joysticks for the 2600 would be cool, although you still have the problem regarding the switches on the unit itself. There's no easy way to get around that, unfortunately (without modifying the unit itself).

..Al