IGNORED

The Jaguar is probably the most interesting console I have come across

oky2000

I have read a lot of threads here about the Jaguar and it really is quite a fascinating console. Not just the sheer power of the chipset but also complexity and interoperability of the design components. 

I can't really think of an analogy between any systems engaged in a different generation of home gaming/computing. The Amiga was complex, but it wasn't that complex as about 30 or so games proved the hardware could be pushed as hard as the PS1 was pushed using the infamous 'Playstation analyzer' used by Namco etc to make things like Ridge Racer 4 game engine.  

I also find the games library fascinating too, which like it or hate it is woven into the fabric of how the Jaguar chipset achieves it's performance but also the many ways the chipset can be used.

If it really did only sell 150,000 units that makes me sad because then it never really would have had the sort of effort put into the software development by publishers such a versatile and powerful, but complex system deserved. I have a long way to go before I am up to speed on all the original games and the new games the system offers but it is quite a fascinating console from the no man's land between SNES/Megadrive vs PS1/Saturn/N64 era.

From what I have already seen, both in discussions here and from playing some of the games myself, there are quite a few late eighties arcade games I would love to see on the Jaguar, Chase HQ and Mille Miglia being two that instantly spring to mind.

Here is the obscure but very awesome isometric racing game Mille Miglia

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Jag_Mag said:

You might like Power Drive Rally on Jaguar

Power Drive plays nothing like 1000 Miglia, I have played it on the Jag and it's as underwhelming to play as the Amiga version, hence it would be lovely if a properly designed highly enjoyable to play game like 1000 Miglia was ported to the system. The last thing you want to do when making a 1000 Miglia knock-off is start with crap handling rubbish cars and then add in a financial element to add insult to injury. If Colin McRae took the same idea as Power Drive Codemasters would have gone bust.

• Confused 2

As a Jaguar player who is new to the scene (six months-ish ago), agreed! After all the YouTube videos which I've watched, it appears Atari made a several mistakes - none of them being including such advanced hardware. In an alternate universe, I could see how their strategy would have been outstanding. Heck, their company produces hardware which leapfrogs the competish? High five, borther! But upon more learnings, it would seem that they couldn't follow through with said promise.

I think it's a totally rad example for other developers to research and to avoid; but it would seem that the playing field has funneled down to three companies. Maybe that's meritocracy at work? There's no way that Microsoft or Sony would replicate Atari's actions, for better or worse, we'll never know.

I purchase my used Jag about six months ago, at $350, and had to do a few repairs on it to make it functional. Since then, I've probably spent $500 on used carts and a new controller (which was most likely a result of of my home mod of the Tempest 2k rotary knob), but I still play my games all the time. And to this day I have so much fun with every one of them! (How many console gamers today can claim this?)

Personally, I love the console. Advice: find the games that you love. I found that I could play NES or Genesis games for for like 10 minutes at a time, maximum... but I can play most of my Jaguar games for 30-60 minutes at a time before setting down the controller. It's just a different ecosystem. The amount of money I've spent on it (which - history has proven - is not an ill-advised investment) doesn't feel like a waste of time. And I mean that sincerely. I love most of my games, expensive as they were.

Stick around plz.

• Like 4

Honestly, SNES, NES, and Genesis have some good games. Can't deny it. You make that many games for a system, many will be good. I play Mike Tyson's Punchout, Duck Hunt, and (on teh emuz) Virtua Racing (Have the real Saturn hardware, but Genesis and 32x versions are the only ones that handle like the original), Sonic, Star Fox, Mario World, Mario Kart (Original), and a few others semi-regularly. I also play mad Virtua Cop and Daytona on Saturn.

But for some reason, I enjoy playing well above 50% of the entire Jag library, including some of the much-lambasted titles, and many a Homebrew. I've never even played a homebrew on anything else besides the Nuon and one or two on the Lynx.

There is indeed something special about the big cat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Virtua Racing (Have the real Saturn hardware, but Genesis and 32x versions are the only ones that handle like the original)

I always incorrectly assumed the Saturn version was just another bump up in quality, like Genesis->32x->Saturn->Arcade... nope. When I got a Saturn a couple years ago, I found it was totally different.

This video goes into it at length, how Time Warner Interactive built the game from the ground up. They added a ton of new bonus content to the game which was nice, but those looking for the arcade experience were left disappointed.

• Like 2