IGNORED

Towering Inferno - character doesn't move

insertclevernamehere

I recently took delivery of 4 games off eBay and tried them out tonight to make sure they work.  Lock'n'Chase worked fine.  Then I tried Frogs and Flies.  Again, no problem.  Next I tried Towering Inferno.  The game displayed without a hitch.  i pressed reset to start a game, the building burst into flames and the helicopter flew down to ground level.  The game screen then changes to a burning room with my blue fireman at the bottom.  Trouble is, he wouldn't move.  Nor would he spray any water.  My joystick was completely unresponsive.  

I thought it weird that my joystick would decide to break just as I start a new game so I put in the fourth game.  Spacechase worked fine.  Put Towering Inferno in again and just as last time, joystick unresponsive.  I cleaned all 4 games before I played them and just to make sure, I cleaned Towering Inferno again but still no success.  I read a manual online to see if there was anything weird I had to do like plug the joystick into the right port.  Nothing out of the ordinary. I now have close to 150 Atari 2600 games and I've never experienced this before.  Can this happen?  Is there anything I can try to fix it or should I just get my money back and buy another copy?

Thanks guys.  So bizarre to use the right port instead AND not even mention it in the manual.  I even tried the right joystick before I posted but after reading the above responses, I looked behind the console and the right joystick wasn't even plugged in😂.  Plugged it back in and gave the game another quick try.  Works fine now of course.

• Like 1

Have to admit... wrote this game off years ago because I thought it was a paddle game or something. Probably tried to start it as so many have, and... wtf?! Put it away and never gave it a second thought. Today I see even the VGC doesn't mention this most important tidbit. Yet, he recognizes Wizard Of Wor's right joystick (Arcade accurate) idiosyncrasy?  🤪

8 hours ago, save2600 said:

Have to admit... wrote this game off years ago because I thought it was a paddle game or something. Probably tried to start it as so many have, and... wtf?! Put it away and never gave it a second thought. Today I see even the VGC doesn't mention this most important tidbit. Yet, he recognizes Wizard Of Wor's right joystick (Arcade accurate) idiosyncrasy?  🤪

It's a conspiracy is what it is.

• Haha 1