IGNORED

Keir's Collections

Keir

Hi! Like several other collectors on here, I used to collect anything and everything until it got completely out of hand and now I am trying to rightsize my collection by getting rid of stuff and focusing on a few select areas. Before I post pictures of my collection as it stands today, I'd like to provide a brief history of how my collection has changed over time. The easiest way to do that is to refer to some old posts I made on Digital Press.

On 6/23/04 (right after I turned 30) I posted that I had 35 systems in my collection. Though my kids had not yet been born, I was already seeing how my collection was getting out of hand and was considering trimming it down. Here's some data that shows a snapshot of how my collection was growing around that time (not all systems I owned are included here):

• Atari 2600 = 43% complete (11/26/02) to 82% complete (2/2/05) to around 400 unique games including non-US carts (3/21/07)
  • Atari 5200 = 60% (11/26/02), sold summer 2004
  • Atari 7800 = 53% (11/26/02) to 70% (2/2/05), sold
  • Atari 8-bit = 8% (2/2/05)
  • ColecoVision = 35% (11/26/02) to 55% (2/2/05)
  • Commodore 64 (cartridges) = 33% (2/2/05)
  • Commodore VIC-20 (cartridges) = 18% (11/26/02) to 50% (2/2/05) to 118 unique carts (3/8/07)
  • Intellivision = 48% (11/26/02) to 80% (2/2/05)
  • Laseractive = 44% (2/2/05)
  • Odyssey 2 = 61% (11/26/02) to 80% (2/2/05) to 90% before finally selling it in August 2005
  • Sega 32X = 42% (2/2/05), sold
  • Sega Genesis = 30% (2/2/05)
  • Turbografx-16 = 30% (2/2/05)
  • Virtual Boy = 36% (2/2/05)

Note: my standard for completeness was based on total unique US released cartridges listed in the DP guide (e.g. I had 44 out of 49 for O2 when I sold it). Other systems I purged around the same time as the O2 include Atari 7800, Jaguar (apparently I owned a console and never had a single game for it!), Coleco Adam, Odyssey 200, Microvision, N64, 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Gear, TRS-80, and TI-99. Whew!

So where am I now? Still trying to cut down on my collection; I have games for some systems I sold years ago and I'd still like to purge some more systems completely (Amiga 500, Atari 8-bit, Colecovision, Intellivision, GP32, Virtual Boy, and maybe others). For the systems I'm keeping I'd still like to weed out a lot of unwanted games, especially for C64 (I've got 2 big bins in the garage plus more in my basement and in my office; it's crazy!). Of course, some things never change and I still plan on growing my 2 primary collections (Atari 2600 and VIC-20) but even there I can get rid of some non-games or duplicates. For those systems I have my own lists that I am striving for which I consider "complete" and consist of 412 Atari 2600 games and 169 VIC-20 games. I'm currently 85% and 63% of the way there, respectively.

And now, some photos! I'll start with one of my personal favorite subsets of my Atari collection: all 9 gatefold releases CIB.

IMG_5476.thumb.jpg.e3839126199510c978f6032569de6cc4.jpg

• Like 8

One of my favorite games of all time, if not my absolute favorite, is Jumpman. It was shortly after my family upgraded from a VIC-20 to a C64 (I don't remember the exact year, maybe 1985? I would have been 10 or 11 then) that one of my older brother's friends gave him a pink Datalife diskette with some copied games on it. One of those games was Jumpman and I instantly fell in love with its charming graphics and sounds, imaginative level design, and combination of platform and puzzle gameplay. During the height of my collecting I had the idea to get every version of the game. I didn't get close to all of them but still acquired quite a few versions as well as some "extras". Now, it might seem weird to post games that I plan to get rid of in my collection thread, but I thought it would be nice to get all my Jumpman games in one photo before parting with most of them.

• C64 - Jumpman (cassette version)
  • C64 - Jumpman (disk version)
  • C64 - Jumpman Junior
  • Colecovision - Jumpman Junior (CBS)
  • Colecovision - Jumpman Junior (Epyx)
  • PC Jr. - Jumpman
  • TI-99 - Junkman Junior
  • Jumpman clock, courtesy of @Snider-man
  • Jumpman mug, courtesy of Jumpman Lounge
  • C64 DTV game

IMG_5489.thumb.jpg.8f83b8802073be02b47ebfc5e2413095.jpg

Not pictured, but I still have it: that pink Datalife diskette!

Edited by Keir
  • Like 5

On 1/11/2023 at 8:36 PM, Keir said:

Hi! Like several other collectors on here, I used to collect anything and everything until it got completely out of hand and now I am trying to rightsize my collection by getting rid of stuff and focusing on a few select areas.

Rightsizing and focusing on a few favs is truly the best way to go in this hobby. Especially after you've been around the block a few times so to speak.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:36 PM, Keir said:

So where am I now? Still trying to cut down on my collection; I have games for some systems I sold years ago and I'd still like to purge some more systems completely (Amiga 500, Atari 8-bit, Colecovision, Intellivision, GP32, Virtual Boy, and maybe others). For the systems I'm keeping I'd still like to weed out a lot of unwanted games, especially for C64 (I've got 2 big bins in the garage plus more in my basement and in my office; it's crazy!). Of course, some things never change and I still plan on growing my 2 primary collections (Atari 2600 and VIC-20) but even there I can get rid of some non-games or duplicates. For those systems I have my own lists that I am striving for which I consider "complete" and consist of 412 Atari 2600 games and 169 VIC-20 games. I'm currently 85% and 63% of the way there, respectively.

I currently focus on these areas:

TI-59 and TRS-80 Pocket Computer 1,2, and 4. They're rather complete. I'll only purchase a book or bit of software if I find I don't have it. Or perhaps a spare part from time to time. I don't seek out anything, but only engage if I happen across something.

Apple II. Highly sentimental. Have all my original material. And like the 1st two I'm just in cruise mode picking up a manual/book from time to time. This 2023 year I plan on getting only 2 pieces of homebrew. Maybe some spare parts..

PC. It's not a collection or anything. But an ongoing sprawl of stuff that vibrates in size and ebbs and flows through time. There are no specific goals or set a time when I'll say it's complete. Everything's fluid and moving and changing. Like I have my 22 year old daily driver laptop. 1st original 486. A PIII. A couple of disposable modern rigs for business and gaming and emulation. And a haphazard pile-O-parts to support it all. It's not something I call a collection and little of it is curated.

It's a lot of stuff for sure. The first two don't take up any space. The Apple II needs some de-duplication. And most PC stuff is commodity crap that is cycled through from the store, to me, then to the trash.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keir said:

One of my favorite games of all time, if not my absolute favorite, is Jumpman. It was shortly after my family upgraded from a VIC-20 to a C64 (I don't remember the exact year, maybe 1985? I would have been 10 or 11 then) that one of my older brother's friends gave him a pink Datalife diskette with some copied games on it. One of those games was Jumpman and I instantly fell in love with its charming graphics and sounds, imaginative level design, and combination of platform and puzzle gameplay. During the height of my collecting I had the idea to get every version of the game. I didn't get close to all of them but still acquired quite a few versions as well as some "extras". Now, it might seem weird to post games that I plan to get rid of in my collection thread, but I thought it would be nice to get all my Jumpman games in one photo before parting with most of them.

I have a few select titles from the 70's and 80's I became enamored with at an early age. Amusing and fascinating how that state of affairs arises isn't it? Why we take to a certain series and whatnot.

I recall being impressed and feeling like living in the future after playing A2-FS1 with it's wireframe vector graphics. That and it's derivatives (built on the same 3D engine) Space Vikings and Saturn Navigator. All from Sub-Logic, located not far from where I lived at the time. All of it highly sophisticated software that you would never find in department stores like Venture, K-Mart, Toys'R'Us, or Turn-Style. Enjoyed the afternoons at Compu-Shop where the guy with the 'fro let me spend time playing with the Apple II after school till I could complete my savings plan to get my own.

Then there's Stellar 7 and Nova 9. Similar to BattleZone. First played on the Apple II and eventually 10 years later on the PC. Along the way I discovered all sorts of (then cool) astronomy software like The Planetary Guide and Stargazer's Guide from Synergistic Software. Eventually I outgrew the Apple II and started eyeing all the astro stuff on PC, 286 and later.

I never went cross-platform-crazy in trying to get all versions for all machines. But I do like all versions and revisions for the one machine that I'm involved with. A PC with emulators makes both arrangements possible though.

There's so much more to mention but it'd be going beyond the scope of your thread.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Keatah said:

I have a few select titles from the 70's and 80's I became enamored with at an early age. Amusing and fascinating how that state of affairs arises isn't it? Why we take to a certain series and whatnot.

Yeah, another game like that for me is The Bard’s Tale. It’s not a game I would still pick up and play now the way Jumpman is, but it was the first video game I played that tried to emulate D&D, and that felt special to me then. It left a certain impression that makes up for a lack of quality. I’m not saying it’s a bad game but as far as CRPGs go it’s certainly not the best, even compared to others from the same era.

• Thanks 1

Here is another one of my complete Atari 2600 subsets: Mythicon! For a long time I wanted one of those store display cases but I’m kind of glad I never got one. I’m happy with my 3 CIB releases and sales folder full of dubious claims.

E47865CF-CF7E-4476-AEC5-B49B4841DFBE.thumb.jpeg.407d5db165931864e0114ab140872a98.jpeg

Some of the contents of the sales folder:

810CF66A-5158-40FD-A2EB-E81E58937D13.thumb.jpeg.ccde0f8c59da92f3aa45391b8fb7b3b1.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above, I’ve collected a lot of stuff related to my first CRPG, The Bard’s Tale. And as with Jumpman, I’m probably going to add most of this to my sale/trade list and just keep a few of the items that are most important to me.

Commodore 64 disk series:

• The Bard’s Tale CIB with clue book
  • The Bard’s Tale II CIB with clue book
  • The Bard’s Tale III CIB with clue book

48ABE05E-627B-41FE-8A15-B0B52BB1F6C0.thumb.jpeg.145e00a586355e3c9528e7bd043c6394.jpeg

NES/Famicom:

• NES - The Bard’s Tale CIB
  • Famicom - The Bard’s Tale CIB
  • Famicom - The Bard’s Tale II CIB
  • FCI newsletter #5 (featuring The Bard’s Tale)

B7B96329-3158-4B57-9402-31F492B56676.thumb.jpeg.cfce415562c156f0e3c865802e4870bd.jpeg

Miscellaneous BT related computer games:

• Amiga - The Bard’s Tale Construction Set CIB
  • Commodore 64 - The Bard’s Tale CIB (cassette version)
  • Commodore 64 - Dragon Wars CIB (developed as The Bard’s Tale IV)

82C58129-E4DD-4ABB-809A-7038C02ACA10.thumb.jpeg.0be2147e70b53e679b27f2e11001d18a.jpeg

More miscellaneous BT related materials:

• PS2 - The Bard’s Tale CIB
  • Quest For Clues II (featuring The Bard’s Tale III)
  • 2 The Bard’s Tale novels

2CA11CBB-DED0-43CF-BF7E-BFC4F555CD21.thumb.jpeg.8db72243f21f0ace55e10c83abed8407.jpeg

Various magazine clippings and my original notes and maps from the 80s:

C6BB0331-F8D2-447B-8630-65C7AA9E7D98.thumb.jpeg.cc6491afd68445067715b47c1b6d1e28.jpeg

Edited by Keir
formatting
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Playing Starpath games for the HSC inspired me to show off my Starpath collection.

D106D3A9-2160-479F-9566-145E27E4B63C.thumb.jpeg.f7349310beb81c77a258b298325f08ea.jpeg
D33AE7F9-D5C5-440E-BBF5-3FB9BCBD6902.thumb.jpeg.1da31cf5e5b5b0e0cfee751a0d3e847a.jpeg

I used to have an almost complete collection (I think I was just missing Survival Island) and it’s one of the few things I miss from before the first great purge.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quite envious of your supercharger 8, 9, and 10. I've got 1-7 and Stella gets a new brain, but to have the remaining cassettes to display would be something else.

I get how easy it is to go overboard and want to buy everything. I have to constantly check myself to stick to 2600, 5200, and 7800. I have 3 pending deals and then I'll have to check my completeness according to your scale.

You have or have had a fine collection. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1