IGNORED

DO THE SAME -WIP

1980gamer

Hi

It's really better but, there is always a but :)

- you display (select 1-48) but the 64 stages are included because I can input 50th and it runs with a shifting stages number :

- I select 48th but it's the first of last 64stages serie
- I select 50th stage and the stats display the 51th...
-          51th                                 52
and so one

Good work :)

Eric

Edited by Eric M
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eric M said:

Hi

It's really better but, there is always a but :)

- you display (select 1-48) but the 64 stages are included because I can input 50th and it runs with a shifting stages number :

- I select 48th but it's the first of last 64stages serie
- I select 50th stage and the stats display the 51th...
-          51th                                 52
and so one

Good work :)

Eric

Yes, you can select up to level 112   under 1 or over 112 just ignores your choice.

I did change the level check logic, I did not change the text...

RC1

I have fixed the level select because I was touching this area to add the repeat/retry level with penalties. Also changed the text, but hoping to change the start screen...

I have also done some more code compression and smoothed the item rotation, I was moving 2 pixels at a time, but am now only moving 1.  It is fast enough.  I was not certain it would be...

More to come...

• Like 1

Here we are Release v1

I am out of space!  I have shrunk my vars, removed REMARKS, multi-lined things I didn't want to...  And, it just FITS...

I have play tested a few times, only got to level 66 on the last play...

Oh, it is a bit harder now.  You start with 3 minutes of time, you replenish up to 60 seconds each round.

When you complete level 16 and 48 you get a bonus 2 minutes.

The key board options are removed,

1- It should be played this way. 

2-I needed the space!  Q/fire rotates left and W rotates right.    ESDX or joystick to move the cursor.

Time is now in HH:MM:SS

The R key will let you replay the round!   However, add 40 seconds to your total time and can only regain up to 60 seconds!

If you take 2 minutes and 59 seconds on the first puzzle and press R, you will only have 60 seconds to solve the puzzle.

Certainly a strategy to using the R -retry.

I want to thank @Eric M for not only level data, but doing the conversion for the Colecovision.  With that, I know it could be done on the TI.

Also a thank you to @senior_falcon for the TI99/4A to compiler and for XB256/GEM etc.

DOR1-X.zip

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

Here we are Release v1

I am out of space!  I have shrunk my vars, removed REMARKS, multi-lined things I didn't want to...  And, it just FITS...

Have you tried to put the compiler runtime in low memory? It will add some more space. You can also try a RES 1,1 to gain some extra bytes.

When the game is completed could you pls. share also the EA5 files, so we can create a SSS cart for FG99? Thanks.

• Like 2

Where are you running out of space? Is it in the XB program or is it the compiled program? How much space do you need? In a long XB program, there are almost always methods for gaining some space. The length of the program line is not the actual length of the line in XB, so sometimes you just have to write a line two ways and see which is shortest. Using short variable names is a good way, although it gets cryptic at times. (This makes no difference in a compiled program)

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

Where are you running out of space? Is it in the XB program or is it the compiled program? How much space do you need? In a long XB program, there are almost always methods for gaining some space. The length of the program line is not the actual length of the line in XB, so sometimes you just have to write a line two ways and see which is shortest. Using short variable names is a good way, although it gets cryptic at times. (This makes no difference in a compiled program)

I am running out when compiled.

I was trying not to use Low Memory. 

With the last version I was -30 Bytes.  After Multi-line and variable shrinking etc.  I got to 280 or so free after compiling.

I have converted some vars to Arrays..  It actually was logical to do so.  It certainly helped in XB as I could shrink the program a bunch with this change.

If I use LOW MEMORY, can I create a CART file?

Here is yet another little update.

First I fixed Eric's name on the title screen.

Second, I have sped up the rotation.  I left it smooth, just faster.

I squeezed a few bore bytes..   I was not able to create a CART.  Maybe I can now?

Last, I have added the EA5 files.  I think I have done this right.  Please let me know.

Thanks!

DOR1B-X.zip

• Like 6

Works fine as EA5. This is the first I have looked at this. It is a very clever game! The animation is very nice. It would help to have some sound effects when the puzzle is complete.

Page 9 of Using XBGDP.PDF describes how to make a cartridge from your compiled program.

Here is a video showing how easy it is. In the video a grom cartridge is made. You also have the option to make a rom cartridge. Either way requires 32K memory expansion.

DOTHESAME.GIF.25e1ee6ccf328c3fe436ad51e4a20a82.GIF

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @senior_falcon

I was not taking the spaces out of the file name.

And/Or I also freed up about 60 bytes in this version. 

I agree about a jingle on round completion.  I wanted some other music.  I just don't know about space.

I played with the different compression tools.  I don't know if they really help me?  That is I need most of the graphics defined for both Screen 1 and 2.

Doh,  I only need screen 1 for the sprites.  I think I saw sprite compression?  Hmm, back the the manual.

Also, using screen 2, I know I could define the characters in the higher sets.  I only need 1 of each shape for the sprites as I am grabbing the sprite colors on the fly now.

Maybe I can sneak a few sound lists in after all?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric M said:

Hi Gene ;)

Thx for my name ;)

There is a little problem with the 112nd stage, it's corrupted

It's the same when I start from 111 and succed. The 112nd is buggy

See you

No Problem!

Good catch, I can duplicate the chars not being defined.  If you play from level 1 it works fine.  But if you start at a different level it does this crazy stuff...  HMMM?

I am a little puzzled about why you do not want to put the runtime routines in low memory. That will free up around 5K of memory. The only slight negative aspect is that, if you will be loading it from XB, then there must be 2 files, one for the low memory segment, and one for the high memory segment.

How much space is left when the XB source program runs?

@senior_falcon  I have plenty of room before compiling.  After running 6955 bytes of stack and 3353 of program memory.

After compiling I am about 300 bytes.  Don't remember exactly.

Why...  I have a large program that works when I compile it.  But I have to use low memory.

I can run it right after compiling.  However, I can never load it again.

I have tried smaller programs and used low memory and they work.

I can send it to you tonight.  I use a recursive routine in the larger program and arrays lots of variables etc.

To be clear.  Do The Same is big.  Because of the 112 lines of level data and character defs.

Otherwise it is not a large program.

1 hour ago, 1980gamer said:

@senior_falcon  I have plenty of room before compiling.  After running 6955 bytes of stack and 3353 of program memory.

After compiling I am about 300 bytes.  Don't remember exactly.

Why...  I have a large program that works when I compile it.  But I have to use low memory.

I can run it right after compiling.  However, I can never load it again.

I have tried smaller programs and used low memory and they work.

I can send it to you tonight.  I use a recursive routine in the larger program and arrays lots of variables etc.

To be clear.  Do The Same is big.  Because of the 112 lines of level data and character defs.

Otherwise it is not a large program.

Yes, please send me the XB source and I will take a look.

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

@1980gamer, are you availing yourself of XB256's facilities to export and import large chunks of VDP RAM via a string variable?  That might help with some of the space problem, at least for character definitions.

I did try that early on and gave up as it didn't help.  However, I have thought about it some more and it may save space.

My problem is I am defining the same chars for screen 1 and screen 2.   Screen 2 for game play.  and screen 1 for the sprites and I reset the charset  between stages for stats page.

I need the screen 1 char defs for sprites.  These can only be in the lower char sets and must be defined in call char to be used.

After thinking about it.  I could read the char definition hex and store that to a variable and create 4 temp sprites every time you rotate the items.

I have not tested this.  But it would let me compress the screen 2 chars.  I would not need them defined in screen 1.

If I could get the char color somehow to set the sprite color, that would be amazing!  It is a bit of a lift right now.

I look at the upper left char of each item in the selected area, get the char number, then have a list of IF's to know what color to use.

I am betting the screen location in VDP could tell me the char string value and color of the char.  I am just not knowledgeable on this area.

On 2/1/2023 at 5:03 PM, Eric M said:

Hi Gene ;)

Thx for my name ;)

There is a little problem with the 112nd stage, it's corrupted

It's the same when I start from 111 and succed. The 112nd is buggy

See you

I like this game!  🙂

I found a similar glitch when I started at level 2.  After completing the first puzzle, the screen seems to lack characters and the selection cursor won't move.

I am playing on an actual TI-99/4A with a SAMS and TIPI.  A small heads up, the zipped files are in v9T9 format and must be converted to TIFILES format for the TIPI before loading.

• Thanks 1

Hi Gene,

I've seen another 'bug' :( I think that the cursor positions are not reinitialized.

I've played in a row the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stage for example and I've waited until the end : the game over

Then I've selected the 3rd and the cursor was on a wrong xy position (in the middle of the screen) and while rotating, numbers appear

I see (under JS99'er, in the graphics part) that you have all the items in tile pattern AND sprite pattern.
Why don't you just copy the correct items (those placed 'in' the cursor) directly from the tile pattern to the sprite pattern.
You'll win some data place I think but it's another coding strategy 

It's a game where you have to make your brain work more than a lot... I've lost all my hair 🤪

see you :)

Tests, bugs hunting, tests, ... that the perfect coder longest work ;)

Edited by Eric M
  • Like 2