IGNORED

Someone here knows right away (Vid ?)

Mtlatc

I ordered a 5 pin din to RCA cable because for once it was cheaper than I could make myself.

Instructions tell me to connect Yellow to Video and Black to Audio. 

Having said that where should I connect the based on this photo:

Or is this TV going to work at all?

B9614A18-43FE-4734-9F43-CF39C5A6738C.jpeg

"Y/CVBS" is video. R and L are both audio. I believe L is the traditional choice for mono audio.

You probably won't get a very pretty picture out of an LCD. But let's be honest, you won't get a very pretty picture out of the /4A in general.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JB said:

"Y/CVBS" is video. R and L are both audio. I believe L is the traditional choice for mono audio.

You probably won't get a very pretty picture out of an LCD. But let's be honest, you won't get a very pretty picture out of the /4A in general.

The 4A looks much better using the F18A VGA option..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shift838 said:

The 4A looks much better using the F18A VGA option..

Absent that option, as @JB says, the Y/CVBS will be your video input.  The picture may not be too bad, depending upon the quality of the digitizing circuit and whether the TV tries to scale the video to meet some odd dimension or zoom the image.  In my experience, most of the HD LCD TV sets still treat the incoming signal as interlaced, so if the picture displays at all (some will not sync or will only display black-and-white,) there will be tearing in objects in motion, and video objects which flash at 30Hz will show up as solid, not show up at all, or fade in and out rather than flash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

People that fly ultralight aircraft such as myself complained to the FAA when the proposed new rules were written that would create hazards for tens of thousands of ultralights and drive costs higher. 

A government agency responding to criticism? I disbelieve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

People that fly ultralight aircraft such as myself complained to the FAA when the proposed new rules were written that would create hazards for tens of thousands of ultralights and drive costs higher. 

Yes that was tongue and cheek.  I was both a USAF and FAA Air Traffic Controller as drones first entered the skies.  I completely agree that the last thing we need is that kind of hazard.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Duewester said:

I found that an HDMI conversion box gave me the best video on a pretty cheap monitor. 

But, as others have pointed out the Fa18 is the best thing. IMHO, the best thing to happen to video from a Ti-99 since it's (Ti-99) release in the 80's.

Just to be clear are you referring to something like this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RX69KR8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A2BFUYDSZF1EXY&psc=1

19 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

The f18 puts out a vga signal, so I think he may be referring to a vga to hdmi converter. I may be wrong though.

That's why I was asking for clarification. RCA to HDMI? or F18 to VGA to HDMI? 

Right now I would only be able to RCA to HDMI and was wondering if it's worth the 15 bucks........

5 hours ago, Mtlatc said:

That's why I was asking for clarification. RCA to HDMI? or F18 to VGA to HDMI? 

Right now I would only be able to RCA to HDMI and was wondering if it's worth the 15 bucks........

That's correct. Sorry didn't make it clear. RCA to HDMI for a non-F18a system. They are reasonably cheap and provide a good color and quality.

I don't use any conversion from my F18A to my VGA monitor. It looks great straight out of the box.

I have also messed around with some USB - HDMI - VGA etc devices I use to capture old video from camcorders and cameras to my x86 desktop setup.  It all still depends on the quality of what's coming out of the Ti-99.

The F18a is (IMHO) still the best video output out there. 

I do have one of those Pal/ntsc, 9918/9928 boards but I just haven't found the need to mod a board since installing the F18a. Might do it to my Frankennine anyway just to see what happens.😎

20 minutes ago, Duewester said:

That's correct. Sorry didn't make it clear. RCA to HDMI for a non-F18a system. They are reasonably cheap and provide a good color and quality.

I don't use any conversion from my F18A to my VGA monitor. It looks great straight out of the box.

Thanks for the response.  If I connect it and it works, I'll try and get the F-18a but if not, at least I know I have that option for a bit less $$.

On 1/13/2023 at 12:50 PM, apersson850 said:

The Y, Pb and Pr signals are what you would use if you want to directly connect a European TI 99/4A console.

This is one of those annoying TVs where composite and component share a single set of RCA jacks. Y/CVBS is used for composite as well as the "green" in component.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:50 AM, apersson850 said:

The Y, Pb and Pr signals are what you would use if you want to directly connect a European TI 99/4A console.

Of course you have to luck in and get a system that handles the surprisingly funky video signal that the PAL TI puts out over component ;o)

I went through three different systems before I found one that worked. Since then I've switched to using a GBS Control. I never expected it to work with the TI but it actually puts out an awesome image. Incredible bang for buck.

Chesh

• Like 1

That could be. I do have one TV with these inputs, but it's impractical to have the TI near it, and virtually impossible to move the TV to the computer.

I have a modified RF-modulator, where I pick the composite PAL videosignal inside the modulator and send it to the monitor. Better than RF modulation at channel 36.