IGNORED

Tips & Tricks for Optimizing Straight TI Extended BASIC Programs

zacharyfruhling

The new TI Extended BASIC game I've been working on and that I've alluded to in other posts is coming along nicely; it's playable and the sprite collision detection is working acceptably—albeit with some room for further improvement. While I do plan to explore creating a complied version of the game with the Game Developer's Package, eventually, I want to (stubbornly?) be a purist and stick to regular TI Extended BASIC for this version. I'm getting to the point where I can start optimizing the code to further improve performance, and I'm hoping that folks here can post their best tips & tricks for optimizing TI Extended BASIC code. From combining statements on the same line numbers to (fill in the blank!), where can I get the biggest performance boost in TI Extended BASIC and with what techniques to use or avoid?

Thanks, everyone! 🙂

Zachary

Edited by zacharyfruhling

11 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

As is often the case with me, since I'd already created a video titled "My Top TI-99 Extended BASIC Tips and Tricks" I suppose I can refer you to that. 

You may also want to consult the Millers Graphics Smart Programming Guide for Sprites.

I want to take a moment to thank you, @pixelpedant, for all the time you've spent making these videos and responding to questions, even extremely low-level questions like all of mine recently! I have a real love for the TI-99/4A, but I haven't spent much time with it since I was a kid, and I'm starting to stretch my wings and take flight one program at a time. I figure spending some time with the constraints of TI BASIC and TI Extended BASIC for their own sake will make it just that much easier for me to upshift to more advanced techniques. "Fundamentals are the building blocks of fun," as they say.

Edited by zacharyfruhling
  • Like 3

This proves my point!

Everyone that did NOT need it, is a "Master of programming!"

The people that need this kinda help did not say a word. Only "Masters of programming!" said that THEY did not see the need for it! Clearly, the need pops up now and then AND will continue to do that. It is kinda a hint that there is a need for it and I think that EVEN "Masters of programming!" maybe can learn something or maybe not. But when the Master says no, "beginners" will shut up!

But beginners or people that have forgotten, will benefit from some kinda "just for programming" - like "Tips & Tricks for Optimizing Straight TI Extended BASIC Programs