IGNORED

FASTFP version F+ for 400/800/XL/XE in final Version => 5 new ROMs!

luckybuck

There are those, who are worry about 2023, well here we have a good one:

JAC! did it again, after the Classics he made the XL/XE-version:
Atari OS Rev 2 (1983) (Atari) (800XL-65XE-130XE)-FASTFP.rom

So we have the ROM file for the XL/XE with the final and corrected version of the faster and more correct floating point routines, please see:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles#section-Articles-OperatingSystemsOS
then there under: Operating Systems (OS) point 6. and 7.

This should also speed up some games ;-)

So much for the emulator. Those, who prefer to work on original hardware without changing the ROM, please go here:

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/atariromchecker

and download the Atari ROM-Checker. Included: "AtariROMPatcher.atr" Run this, then load the floating point routines from point 6 above into a current Atari and activate it with POKE 54017,254. I have prepared something, see attachment ;-)

I don't have a real Atari running at the moment, but in the emulator the ROM runs and how! :-)))

I thank Charles, Drac030 & JAC! in the name of the worldwide Atari community, but especially personally, because now after more than 40 years I have the OS I would have liked to have in 1982. Finally calculating properly, finally working properly. With this base, there will be more to come soon... ;-) Stand by.

AtariROMPatcherFP.atr

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luckybuck said:

Thanky you reifsnyderb, does your unaltered rev. 4 OS match with MD5: 0xB7A2A04677D34F069EEB643D5238BF86   ?

Source from JAC!'s site:

https://www.wudsn.com/productions/atari800/atariromchecker/help/AtariROMChecker.html

This is for the XEGS on the latest only...

I actually never checked if the MD5 matched.  I downloaded the attached .zip file and used it.

While OS R. 4. was made for the XEGS, I've been running it on my 600XL and 130XE without a problem.  I wish I could find the changelog but there were some bug fixes in OS R. 3 and OS R. 4.  So, I've been using OS R. 4.

osromv33.zip

Hello guy

Maybe now is the moment to remind you all that the memory test of the extended memory seems to have a bug in it.  IIRC, it doesn't test bits 2 and 3, but bits 1 and 2 of $D301.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

4 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guy

Maybe now is the moment to remind you all that the memory test of the extended memory seems to have a bug in it.  IIRC, it doesn't test bits 2 and 3, but bits 1 and 2 of $D301.

Sincerely

Mathy

While a little off topic, I was thinking there is a problem with the extended memory test.  This led me to thinking some more about the OS, bug fixes, what a newer OS version would have, and the compatibility of the Altirra OS.  I am still looking to see if there is a table somewhere with the Altirra OS compatibility.  I remember doing a test and finding out that the Altirra OS floating point math pack is slower than Fast Chip.  

1 hour ago, Mathy said:

Hello guy

Sincerely

Mathy

I was looking through the source code and found this:

**    TXEB - Table of XE Banks
*    NOTES
*        Problem: should be $0,$4,$8,$C to correctly test all banks

TXEB    DB    $0,$2,$4,$6

TXEBL    =    *-TXEB    ;length
    SPACE    4,10
**    SETV - Value to set the V flag

I was wondering if it's a known problem and the solution is even commented in the source code, why didn't somebody fix and re-compile it?

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

I was looking through the source code and found this:

*    NOTES

TXEBL    =    *-TXEB    ;length
    SPACE    4,10
**    SETV - Value to set the V flag

I was wondering if it's a known problem and the solution is even commented in the source code, why didn't somebody fix and re-compile it?

and there you have it. rinse repeat. many things nearly done right... people then leave and come out with the good version or this or that.

4 minutes ago, luckybuck said:

Did take a look at your website: https://www.5cfab.com   

Well, with the Atari 800 RAMROM 2022 Personality Card, is there the option to use ROMDOS, too? Version 1.4?

It could be flashed onto the chip, no problem.  I'd just need a copy of the ROM file and to know which bank is the preferred bank to use.

Edited by reifsnyderb

Ok.  Here's OS R. 4a with the Fast Floating Point F+ and patched for the proper banks on an Atari 130XE.  (I decided to call it R. 4a.)

Atari_OS_R_4A_w_FM_vF_plus.rom

To patch the bank table, I used a hex editor to swap out the existing bank table and install the bank table as per the comment in the source code.  The comment, in the source code, appears to be correct due to the bits set as opposed to the bits set as per the original table.  I wasn't able to test it on a machine with bad memory, though.  The checksum was changed and the OS runs on Altirra.  I'll install it in my real machines, of course.

Starting on line 5686, here's the source code and comment I used:

*    NOTES

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I would be very interested to see a side by side video of a particular game running on an old OS revision then compared to running on this new one. 

I wonder, for example, on a PAL system how a game like Rescue on fractalus might perform as such. 

Unless it’s a BASIC game I doubt it would use OS routines at all. 

• Thanks 1