IGNORED

What are your current Top 10 Aftermarket Atari 7800 games?

swlovinist

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has offered/work on an aftermarket game for the Atari 7800.  I had a lot of fun putting together(and tough to narrow down) my current favorite top 10 Aftermarket games for the Atari 7800.   What are your picks?   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, swlovinist said:

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has offered/work on an aftermarket game for the Atari 7800.  I had a lot of fun putting together(and tough to narrow down) my current favorite top 10 Aftermarket games for the Atari 7800.   What are your picks?   

Thanks for featuring E.X.O. 👍🏻 glad you like it. 

We hope to have the cart release ready for that soon, got some nice extras planned for it 😜  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Armour Attack 2

Bentley Bear

Donkey Kong PK

Frenzy

Scramble

Flappy Bird

Froggie

Spire of the Ancients 

Get Lost

Astro Blaster

Haven't had the ability to play much for years. All these newer games look interesting. Somehow the 7800 scene became really busy like the intellivision except not crap. 

I really want S.O.T.A. to be completed one day. The most immersive 7800 game I ever played which seems like something that most 7800 games could never accomplish. 

How did I leave out R and V who knows. It is impressive. But pick up and play not really unless you want a 20 hour marathon of death. 

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Only ranking the ones with a physical release from:

http://www.atari7800forever.com/top10h.html

Rikki & Vikki
Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest
Baby Pac-Man
4. b*nQ (Q*bert)
5. Pac Man Collection
6. Donkey Kong PK/XM
7. Frenzy
8. Beef Drop (Burgertime)
9. Knight Guy in low res world Castle Days
10. Scramble

still waiting on several PRGE releases... Im sure there will be a few of these guys knocked out

Edited by Cousin Vinnie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here’s my list of physically released games:

1. Dragon’s Descent
  2. Scramble
  3. Danger Zone
  4. Space Invaders
  5. Astro Fighter
  6. Astro Blaster
  7. Meteor Shower
  8. Moon Cresta
  9. Knight Guy Castle Days
  10. Wizard’s Dungeon

These are all going to be slotting into the list once they are out on cartridge:

Harpy’s Quest

EXO

Tunnels of Hyperion

Dragon’s Havoc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/16/2023 at 2:16 AM, Jinks said:

I really want S.O.T.A. to be completed one day. The most immersive 7800 game I ever played which seems like something that most 7800 games could never accomplish. 

Thank you for those kind words. I know it's been quite a few years at this point but I do still hope to complete this one day; I just hope when that happens you'll find it a satisfying experience.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SmittyB said:

Thank you for those kind words. I know it's been quite a few years at this point but I do still hope to complete this one day; I just hope when that happens you'll find it a satisfying experience.

I am sure it will be great however you finish it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not had the oppotunity to play 1942, or Pengo (or whatever name it runs under, so the list id from games I’ve given some playing-time).

And I choose to use nevermadeittothemarket, as defacto after-market.

This list includes my own subjective taste for games, its not listed by mere technical quality.

1. Sirius

2. Bentley Bears Crystal Quest

3. Rikki and Vikki 

4. Pac Man Collection

5. Plutos.

6. Donkey Kong PK/XM

7. Klax.

9. Baby Pac Man

- - -

There are many existing titles I just haven’t gotten around to getting, and/or giving proper playing-time.

If Sirius, Plutos and Klax are not to be included, then it would be:

1. Bentley Bears Crystal Quest

2. Rikki and Vikki

3. Pac Man Collection 

4. Donkey Kong PK/XM

5. Baby Pac Man 

6. Froggie

7. Knight Guy in low-res world Castle Days

8. Dragons Cache

9. Moon Cresta

10. Dragons Descent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Giles N said:

1. Sirius

2. Bentley Bears Crystal Quest

3. Rikki and Vikki 

4. Pac Man Collection

5. Plutos.

6. Donkey Kong PK/XM

7. Klax.

9. Baby Pac Man

10. Froggie 

… ooops …. I skipped number 10 in my first post…, 

Anyway, if I spend more time with the aftermatket-games, I may change my priorities…

On 1/15/2023 at 7:17 PM, swlovinist said:

tough to narrow down) my current favorite top 10 Aftermarket games for the Atari 7800.   What are your picks? 

… tough to narrow down, - even you?

I scratched my heads as to the picks I made.

And it was like I could’ve reshuffled the ranking of several of the titles just by thinking it through like 5 more seconds…

Anyway, playing Sirius and Plutos today affirms that somehow ‘Sirius’ has a tension too it, that Plutos lacks… (perhaps having a 2P to cooperate with, would make s difference…?), and since I love good Sh’mups (… how is that really spelled..?), I hope to really get into the dual ‘port’ of arcade/c64 - 1942 - for the 7800… from yours and other videos it looks like an improvement on both … as to the arcade: better music, as to C64 - more music and bettef grfx - overall it seems like a perfect fusion of the best parts of tte arcade with the best parts of the C64 version… 

… when I’ll somehow have to wake up to the dreary world of PC-catalogues downloading this ‘n that to these file-maps whereupon it’ll merge and emerge as a real playable games,  I’ll hopefully get around to play it to the full… [I suspect it’ll get high on my aftermarket-list, yet how I’d wish I’ve could have it on individual ol’-school-carts ..!!]    Seen some of your YouTube-stuff; your good moods and cheeriness are welcome stuff, and you keeping up with things in the retro-gaming-world is cool… 

… nice to see your post - keep it up, and keep us updated…

My problem with Plutos is the way you lose power-ups between levels and the general mechanic of avoiding power-ups once you max laser or spread so you don’t accidentally “roll over” your weapon back to a basic level 1 attack. The combination of those mechanics makes the early parts of the later levels, I’d say level 4-6, super annoying and mostly a dodging/memorization game instead of much of an interactive tactical experience.

I actually generally like Sirius a lot aside from how hard it can be to see certain enemy projectiles particularly on level 1, the projectiles of the little curled-up xenomorph looking things on level 3, and some enemies on the last level. Sirius gives me that Raiden or Gun-nac style adrenaline rush of spamming shots destroying almost everything in your path immediately when it scrolls onscreen.

If we are counting either game as “after market” which to me sounds like “used” but I get what OP meant by the term, I would have Sirius between Scramble and Danger Zone and Plutos between Meteor Shower and Moon Cresta.

I don't own nearly as many as I'd like.  Of the ones I own (counting 1942 since it's rom-only)

1. Dungeon Stalker
  2. Pac Man Collection
  3. 1942
  4. Frenzy
  5. Wizard's Dungeon (slight bias)
  6. Super Pac Man
  7. K.C. Munchkin
  8. Beef Drop: VE
  9. T:ME Salvo!
  10. Scramble

All of these are good games and worth getting.  I really want to get EXO, Galaxian, Baby Pac Man, Super Circus Atari, Meteor Shower, Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest... there's a long list.  They all seem top 10-worthy but I didn't rate them because I down own them and haven't put in enough time with preview / rom versions.

• Like 2

I own the following (not including unauthorized prototype repros):

Armor Attack II

Baby Pac Man

Dungeon Stalker

Go Sub

Journey of Snail: A New World

Rikki & Vikki

UniwarS (coming soon)

I intend to get the Dragon games and EXO next. I really want Bentley’s Crystal Quest but doesn’t that need a Pokey? And those are hard to come by.

As a kid I ranked stuff all the time. Idk why but my mind always gravitates to lists and rankings, what's the best and worse of things, etc. Since I've always been geared towards ranking things I find that my personal rankings change quite often.  Probably a symptom of my indecisive nature... Or maybe there's just a ton of great 7800 homebrew!  Either way here's my "aftermarket" ranking for today (as with a few others I am listing only physical carts I own)

1. Rikki & Vikki - This game is just too good.  I would mouth kiss the guys who made it to show my appreciation. It's worth the restraining order. 

2. Pac Man Collection - on the rare occasion that my kids want to play my 7800, it's usually this one.  Timeless

3.Bentley Bears Crystal Quest - These are the kind of games I'd dream about getting on the 7800 as a kid.

4.Donkey Kong PK - I think I've personally played this one more than any other homebrew in my collection. 

5.Super Circus AtariAge - Something about this one keeps me coming back for more. 

6.Venture 7800 - I used to play the 2600 red box release a lot and this one adds enough to keep me entertained for a while.

7.Crazy Brix - I always loved breakout style games since... Well since breakout!  The nostalgic patterns were a nice touch!

8.Wizards Dungeon - Honestly I didn't care for this game when I first got it but it's grown on me.  It's one of my favorites today!

9.Time Salvo - Anytime I can get use out of my robotron 2084 custom controller, I'm there!  Great twin stick game!

10.Animal Keeper - I'm not sure why I can't stop playing this one but I can't. I know it's not great, but it ain't half bad either. 

I'm sure once I get my next Atari age package I'll have a completely different list. So many others I love that didn't make it today like Dragons Cache, Baby Pac Man, and the all mighty Roof Pooper.  Eh there's always next week's list. 

• Like 3