IGNORED

Airshack - A great man will sadly be leaving us soon.

RetroTIGuy

@Airshack is a good guy and AtariAge user, many of us met him here due to their association with the TI-99/4A, Atari 5200, TRS-80 Model III and other platforms.  Over the years he's became a man I truly admired and respected.  A former United States Air Force officer, a pilot for Southwest Airlines and the creator of a couple of real good TI-99/4A games as well.

Unfortunately James/Airshack is losing his battle with stage 4 cancer and will not be with us much longer.  So if you've sent him any PM's, please be aware he's under Hospice care and cannot even text anymore.   It's sad that the good ones we admire always seem to leave us first.  I will miss him.  Some of us here met him for the first time in person at the Fest West in Woodland, Washington a few years ago and he was truly one of those type of people who leave a lasting and positive impression.  To those of us who knew him, I'm sure there will be a void, but for his wife and two daughters I feel extremely sad that they will be losing undoubtedly the most important and influential person in their lives.

His wife Jean is overwhelmed with 100's of texts she hasn't been able to answer yet, so she asks you to forgive her if she does not answer you right away.  She also thanks everyone for their love and prayers.

Kevan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 34

I had started writing with James because of the game SCRAA and then I had a great time testing all the beta versions of Escape from North Korea that he sent.
He was always very friendly and inclusive with me and I appreciated that so much.
I didn't know he was sick, I'm really sorry.

• Like 4

Appreciate you letting us all know.  Just getting into the TI99 scene, so even though I don't know anyone really it is still really sad news to hear someone going through what he and his family are experiencing.  I pray that his affairs are in order that he can pass on from this world in relative peace and as painless as possible. 

• Like 3

This makes me so sad, I don't even know what to say.  I met James/Airshack in person at Fest West'17, and saw him again later at PRGE a few years ago.  I loved seeing the games he made, and seeing the progress and results of his learning to program assembly language.  Such a nice guy, he will be missed.

• Like 4

I'll always remember the story of him and Sparkdrummer flying into Portland for FW'17 and since they didn't bring a monitor on the plane, they went to a Goodwill store and got one for a few bucks, so that Airshack could present his game "Sparkdrummer's Challenge".  And gave the monitor to Omega after the event.

• Like 6

AIR, we were supposed to share a beer...
Now I'm left to shed a tear...
We'll meet again in some years...
When I reach that great abyss...
Until then ...you will be missed!

💖 May you rest in eternal bliss. 💖

💖  💖  💖  💖  💖  💖  💖  💖  💖  💖  💖  💖 

• Like 13

Airshack

--------

Airshack, Airshack,

Programmed a stack,

Of really kewl TI hacks.

I truly wish we had him back.

See what you did, @HOME AUTOMATION? You got me writing weird poetry again. :):):)I wrote a bunch of these in high school as a twisted response to an English teacher's requirement to write six four-line poems over the weekend using a recognizable form. He really wasn't expecting one of his students to create their own form for the assignment, but it was worth it to see the expression on his face when I told him what I'd done. I've been writing them off and on ever since, and now there's one for my buddy @Airshack. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been confirmed, Airshack lost his battle with the cancer on January 19, 2023.  I just found out today, thought everyone should know as I did not see any updates.

Airshack and I had quite a few discussions on here as well as speaking on the phone from time to time.  He was a fellow Air Force Vet and we would talk about those days compare stories.

He was a very talented man and will be missed.

His obituary is at http://legacy.com/us/obituaries/legacyremembers/james-shackel-obituary?id=39585348

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 3