IGNORED

Controllers - ABC (non Pro)

ChrisK

28 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Well the NTSC controllers poll at 60hz and the PAL ones 50hz, so the NTSC ones are def preferred for action games :D

If the polling is done via the DSP (as most are) then they are polled at the same rate.  But even so, I LOL'd :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Anyone remember those bizarre third party controllers someone sold in this forum some years ago?  Where those actually made for the jag, or for a different system and they just happened to work with jag?

The Boomerang, I think it's called.  I was foolish enough to buy one: it's a very cheap Sega Genesis knockoff rewired for the Jaguar.  Absolutely terrible.  I have it buried in a storage box and never use it.

Edited by ls650
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I was just puzzled they are being advertised as NTSC.

As previously mentioned, someone really does not know what they are talking about. with the possible exception of those repro 2600 Joysticks with games built in, to think that a controller could be region specific rather than the system it plugs into is crazy.

As with any plug in controller the system it is connected to will read the controller as often as the software tells it to, which could be 10 times a second or 200 times a second.

Without seeing the auctions I can only think it might be the grey version of the controller intended for the Falcon and for some reason they think the colour is an indicator of region compatibility. 

2 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

As previously mentioned, someone really does not know what they are talking about. with the possible exception of those repro 2600 Joysticks with games built in, to think that a controller could be region specific rather than the system it plugs into is crazy.

As with any plug in controller the system it is connected to will read the controller as often as the software tells it to, which could be 10 times a second or 200 times a second.

Without seeing the auctions I can only think it might be the grey version of the controller intended for the Falcon and for some reason they think the colour is an indicator of region compatibility. 

I did wonder, when I emailed them via eBay, they replied: I'm sorry we really do not know. But they would all be NTSC as these were all purchased from the closing of Kaybee Toy Stores in the USA.

The listings are on ebay, but seem to be new boxed, but all advertised as NTSC, but with different # numbers. i.e. #RD89.
1. 303474813701
2. 293562799033
3. 303508795972

4. 293529146793

These are I think all the same seller, so not sure if they have different boxes from different closing stores, however my initial thoughts were its the hardware/console that scans and produces video output, plus it would scan the controllers ports for a signal, so I am not sure there is a massive difference with NTSC or PAL for a controller. I know Games are meant to work on both platforms.

I was thinking of buying one, even with the high shipping, but needed clarification over the description, although it seems they have bought them as non-sold stock and now selling off separately. 

6 hours ago, ls650 said:

The Boomerang, I think it's called.  I was foolish enough to buy one: it's a very cheap Sega Genesis knockoff rewired for the Jaguar.  Absolutely terrible.  I have it buried in a storage box and never use it.

Yes that's the one I'm thinking of!  Was it rewired by the company that made them, or a hobbyist/jag fan?

The original thread makes it seem like it was manufactured for the Jaguar in the 90s, in Poland of all places. Can't imagine there were many jaguars in Poland at the time .. https://forums.atariage.com/topic/233676-altrenative-pad-for-jag-new-for-sale/

Edited by sirlynxalot

I noticed one of those boxes has 22 of 26 written on it, if they have 26 of those at 90 controllers a box that is a lot of controllers.

Shipping price is great for a box of 90, but crazy for a single controller, $49.99 for the controller + $39.95 for international shipping + to the UK at least, likely import duty and VAT on top of that. 

Shipping to the UK is high because the seller is probably using eBay GSP from the US. I once paid around £20 to ship a single warhammer 28mm infantry model from a US seller to the UK when I lived there last year.

Shipping in US is $12.50 which is not unreasonable for priority mail.

Edited by Lord_of_Sipan