IGNORED

Looking for your opinions on two things (Electronic Replacements).

Mtlatc

The first question is the age old debate -- Should I recap the the entire system just on general principles. Realistically, it is 40 years old.

Secondly, I have been considering replacing the UA7812C with its mega heat sink (photo attached) with the TSR-1 (Data Sheet Attached).  What says you folks that are way smarter than me?  It looks like a good option to reduce heat and make they system for efficient.

I'm just looking for opinions.  I fully get the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" and the "keep it all original" mindsets.......

tsr1_datasheet.pdf

Change.jpg

Edited by Mtlatc
Cuz I'm Silly

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of ambivalent now on replacing caps in my TI equipment.  A couple years ago I did that in a PEB and several console P/S's then tested the caps I took out and they were within tolerances for capacitance.  I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been replaced but, at that point I began to believe that TI probably used quality components in their units which shows today. (To be totally forthcoming, they generally tended toward the lower end of their tolerances so they were showing age and, I'm not able to test for breakdown voltages.)  The point is, I didn't find any "bad" ones and I stopped worrying so much about it.  I can't vouch for the wall warts.

If you go for replacements, the real question for me then becomes, are you replacing them with capacitors of the same or higher quality?  Putting low grade capacitors in as replacements may actually be a negative thing to do.  

I suppose if one wants to give their TI a chance for another forty years then it doesn't hurt.  I certainly did that in my old Hallicrafter receiver and it is going strong today.😁

• Like 1