IGNORED

3DS eShop games to get before closure March 27th

Ninjabba

As the title suggests, I'm wondering what games to get for the 3DS before the eShop will be permanently closed. Specifically exclusives to the eShop.

When the shop closes, it means that some 3DS games will be inaccessible forever(?) unless they get ported to newer consoles if that is even possible.

So far I've got:

- the 3D Classics

- Attack of the Friday Monsters!

- Pullblix/Fallbliox

Then there are the Virtual Console games, which interestingly enough you can buy and play offline on the 3DS but on the Switch you'd have to get the online subscription to access the same games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

- Pullblix/Fallbliox

If people look for them, it's Pullblox and Fallblox. 😉

5 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

Then there are the Virtual Console games, which interestingly enough you can buy and play offline on the 3DS but on the Switch you'd have to get the online subscription to access the same games.

Actually you don't need to be online to play the games on Switch, it's just that these games are offered to subscribers, rather than being sold individually. And the 3DS has Game Boy games that you won't find on the Switch for instance.

• Like 1

I'd prioritize DLC first over everything else, especially for games like Fire Emblem if/Fates, and particularly the Japanese version of that, which lacks a complete physical version like what the rest of the world got (in limited quantities that the scalpers all got almost immediately, but you know what I mean). At least you can legally obtain physical copies of most things, but for DLC you're going to be completely screwed once the store is dead unless you want to illegally steal the DLC from various places online, which you should totally not do because illegal things are illegal.

I hacked my US New 3DS XL a few weeks ago just to get rid of the region lock, but I have no idea what I'm going to if I want to play games with Japanese DLC on it. I imagine you can probably make it work, but I have not figured it out yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

If people look for them, it's Pullblox and Fallblox. 😉

Haha geez I'm typing with my left hand lately to deal with carpal tunnel, I butchered those.

There's also game gear games on virtual console that are not on the switch I believe 

I have the Fates special edition and pretty much all other Fire Emblem games for the 3DS. Was quick to act when it got released luckily 

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 1

Attack of the Friday Monsters is definitely a peculiarity that I'm happy to have found because of Nintendo announcing the closure of the eShop.

I'm also amazed how I've been sleeping on Boxboy until now.. this is the kind of stuff that should be preserved

• Thanks 1

Recca: Summer Carnival '92 by Naxat Soft.

Code of Princess

SMT Devil Survivor 1&2

SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

SMT 4 and 4 Apocalypse

Both of the Gaist Crusher games (if anyone wants to look into Treasure's final two games.)

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars

Beyond the Labyrinth (Konami & Tri-Ace)

The 3DS port of MGS3: Snake Eater

Severed (also for Wii U)

• Like 2

Less than 2 months left before closing time, no hurries with the list :D

I just realized that unless I hack the 3DS there's no way to do any backups.. that does suck bigtime.. so there's no possibility whatsoever after the eShop closes and the 3DS breaks down to get your purchases. Bye bye exclusives..

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went over the free to play downloads from the eShop, not sure what level of entertainment it can provide but got them nonetheless since its for free:

Pokemon Rumble World

Pokemon Shuffle

Pokemon Picross

Team Kirby Clash Deluxe

And then there is RPG Maker Fes Player, quite an interesting project. Basically downloading user-created content, you can get up to 16 projects. I just had a quick look online and downloaded some "best of" projects according to some forum users/websites:

- Moon Swept

- Relic Hunters

- Earth's Final Hour DX

- Apartment 412

- A Dragon's Tale

- Legends of Lunaria

- Unnatural Selection

- Meme Royale 4 (the only one I booted up so far and it gave me a chuckle, its quite ridiculous)

• Like 2

I know you can't like go straight into the shop to buy things, but if you have the current off the rack point cards you can still use that right?

I might be willing to pop a few bucks on a card if I saw something exclusive to just 3DS and nowhere else that'll be gone for good in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

Content from the 3DS eShop is purchased from within the eShop itself just like always (although certain add-on content like New Super Mario Bros. 2's DLC can only be reached on the shop by first selecting the purchase option from within the game itself).

All that has ended so far has been the ability to add funds directly to a Nintendo Network ID (the account system used on the 3DS). Instead you have to link the old account with a newer Nintendo Account (as used on the Switch), select to have funds merged between accounts, and add credit such as your points card to the Nintendo Account which will then be shared with the older Nintendo Network account used on the 3DS.

And while most 3DS owners also own a Switch, one doesn't even need to own a Switch to do all of this in the unlikely event that they don't own one. Creating a Nintendo Account, linking it with a Nintendo Network ID, selecting to merge funds, and adding credit to it are all able to be done from Nintendo's website.

Everything I just said also applies to the Wii U. Nintendo's timeline for ending digital purchasing matches that of the 3DS, the ability to add credit directly to the Wii U ended at the same time last fall, the same account system as the 3DS is used, the same workaround to still add credit is available, etc. Even what I said about certain add-on content only being reachable in the eShop by way of the game's own menus still applies, with Fatal Frame a notable example with only the free to play chapter 1 able to be downloaded direct from the eShop (I think Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8's DLC are similar, as is Pikmin 3's DLC).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you like Ace Attorney, those are all on fire sale. I think the 3DS is the best place to play the updated versions so unless you have the DS originals I would go for all of them.

Also, almost everything published by Circle (all on sale for $2 each) is great, particularly the games by Flyhigh Works (Drania/Fairune/etc).

• Like 1

I'm glad that I never invested in the Japanese Rail Sim titles on 3DS before now. At $20 a pop I avoided even purchasing one of them since there's 9 of them here and it adds up quick. But at $2 each, I'll happily be grabbing all 9 now. 80's Overdrive is also on for $2 and while I thought that it looked like it played a bit slow in the trailer, I'll be checking that one out as well to experience it 1st hand.

• Like 3