IGNORED

3DS eShop games to get before closure March 27th

Ninjabba

Looks like those Capcom discounts are nonexistent in the EU shop...don't you just love region differences. I was also 0,16 € short on buying Steamworld Dig 2, so I had to add 10€ to the account. Great economics. 

Oh well, guess I'll have to get a few of those weird Japanese Rail Sims atleast, they are 1€ a pop here. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Figures, right after I bought the D&D thing at full price 😭

Did the same with the Korg music apps.. just saw it on 50% discount 😅

At least I already spent a good amount of time playing with it 

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

I haven't touched my 3DS in years but I'm thinking about picking up that latest Phoenix Wright game as I haven't played that one (I played Dual Destinies on my iPhone though).

It’s very good. The newest one on Switch is too talky for me.

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

It was a 3DS game originally, though, and it was heartbreaking to do the parts about stereoscopic pictures that didn't work at all on the Switch. 😔

Which one is that?  Spirit of Justice?  That's the one I haven't played.

EDIT: Ah this is that Great Ace Attorney series.  I never did play those.  Kind of forgot about them actually...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm not sure if it's the first or the second, but one of the Phoenix Wright games on the 3DS has a terrific DLC that you don't want to miss, since you probably won't be able to buy it after the eShop closure. It's a full new case for around $5.

Probably the second one Spirit of Justice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tempest said:

Probably the second one Spirit of Justice. 

Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice both have DLC cases. DD’s is one of my favorites. SoJ’s isn’t bad. They are both on the preposterous side but if you got this far in Ace Attorney series you’re probably okay with that.

Also, Layton vs Wright has free downloadable mini-cases but you have to finish the game to download them.

6 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice both have DLC cases. DD’s is one of my favorites. SoJ’s isn’t bad. They are both on the preposterous side but if you got this far in Ace Attorney series you’re probably okay with that.

I have DD on my iPhone and it turns out it includes the extra case.  They actually make a reference to it in the first case of SoJ.   I'm enjoying SoJ so far, I only meant to start it so I could get to the DLC menu but ended up playing through the entire first case.  My only complaint is that the DLC isn't on sale, so while the game is only $3 the DLC costs more than the entire game!   I only bought the extra case and not the other two since they were labeled as 'theater' and I assume they're basically just something you watch with little interaction.  I can do that online and save myself $8.

Speaking of DLC, I think that's the biggest loss in the eShop closing.  Lots of people like myself are physical cartridge collectors so we rarely use the eShop to buy games, but all that DLC is now going to be lost unless they come out with a GoTY type collection on a newer console in the future.  Also, what's with this new tread of hiding the DLC until you get to a certain point in the game?  Fire Emblem is the worst in this regard as you can't even look at the DLC (which includes a whole different path to follow) until you get a few hours into the game!

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 3:20 PM, Wayler said:

And I had almost forgot how aggravatingly painful it is to browse the 3DS Shop, almost. 

I just use the website. Same goes for the Switch — just buy and it will be pushed automatically. 

On 2/28/2023 at 7:50 PM, jgkspsx said:

Sorry for the delay. This highlight list from a friend of mine with exquisite taste is very good: https://toucharcade.com/2022/04/18/best-3ds-games-buy-eshop-closes-virtual-console-3d-classics-switcharcade-special/

I will add an avalanche of other games ASAP.

Shaun has great taste and isn’t afraid of calling out trash, either. 

On 3/12/2023 at 10:57 AM, Wayler said:

Oh well, guess I'll have to get a few of those weird Japanese Rail Sims atleast, they are 1€ a pop here. 

From what I’ve heard, these are worth the money but perhaps not worth the space. 

I recently grabbed Dragon Quest 7 since it seems unlikely to ever appear anywhere else again. 

Between that and grabbing everything from the $3 Capcom sale, I filled up my 64GB card and had to expand! 

I had a 128GB lying around so I formatted it as FAT32 and moved all my stuff over there. It took a while, and now there’s a several-seconds lag to bring up the top menu. It seems OK otherwise, and now it has all my stuff on it. 

I hope they keep a server up for redownloading purchases in case anything happens to my stuff.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I recently grabbed Dragon Quest 7 since it seems unlikely to ever appear anywhere else again. 

Is it any better than I was on the PSX?  I slogged through it back in the day but it was slow and painful (and this is coming from a guy who likes grindy rpgs).

Speaking of the Capcom sale, how are those Monster Hunter games?  That's a series I never got into.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I hope they keep a server up for redownloading purchases in case anything happens to my stuff.  

According to this article it should be possible to redownload purchases. Though I wonder if it makes sense to get another 3DS in case you need to register your account/device.. not sure how that would work with that whole Network ID being different than the Nintendo ID or however its all called and fractured..

10 hours ago, Tempest said:

Is it any better than I was on the PSX?  I slogged through it back in the day but it was slow and painful (and this is coming from a guy who likes grindy rpgs).

I like JRPG grinds myself but wasn't ready for the 80 hour main quest of this game. I think I'm 20 hours in and had to give it a break. I guess the loading times to battle have significantly improved over the PSX though, but it honestly could use some auto-battle functionality.

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

I like JRPG grinds myself but wasn't ready for the 80 hour main quest of this game. I think I'm 20 hours in and had to give it a break. I guess the loading times to battle have significantly improved over the PSX though, but it honestly could use some auto-battle functionality.

DQ 7's biggest problem was it was all size over substance.  Even if they cut out half the areas (or at least the backtracking) the story was still kind of dull and predictable (not an uncommon problem in 90's RPGs).  It doesn't help that the first hour or two is literally just walking back and forth between two villages on a stupid fetch quest.   I imagine many people shut it off before they ever got into a single fight.  Thankfully DQ 8 saved the series and is still my favorite.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2023 at 2:06 AM, Flojomojo said:

I just use the website. Same goes for the Switch — just buy and it will be pushed automatically. 

I tried the Nintendo's website today but it proved to be an equally frustrating experience. Choosing english take you to the UK site with pound prices, the sorting is all over the place, missing pictures for games etc. Horrible. They make good consoles but haven't figured out internet yet. 

Still pondering where to invest my last euros. But I managed to stumble on to my purchase history and realised I had bought Crimson Shroud ages ago but deleted it due to space. Redownloaded it just in case if the service goes out. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, eebuckeye said:

I am surprised that not all software is on sale for the last days.  I am a bit hesitant to buy some Sega items thinking they may come out with a discount before the store closes.

With how common Sega 3D Classics sales were in past years, I'm really surprised that they're not on the sales list in these last days of purchasing.

• Like 1

So I bought Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D (the only one on sale, even though it was the cheapest to begin with), Crimson Shroud, HarmoKnight, and Jagged Alliance (the latter rather for fun, I'll probably try it once since this port is supposed to be clunky). I also considered a Kunio-kun brawler that was on my wish list but it was expensive (well, as much as HarmoKnight) and didn't have good user reviews. I don't even know if I will find the time to play these games to begin with anyway... 😔

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Jagged Alliance (the latter rather for fun, I'll probably try it once since this port is supposed to be clunky)

Huh, didn't know this classic was on the Nintendo handheld. But judging from the reviews  it looks to be a shitty port. 

I always picked Ivan, that crazy russian who only spoke russian and even his text lines were cyrillic so you had no clue what he was on about. I kinda didn't like that they made him learn english in later games. 

Oh well, as a happenstance my view for russian mercenaries has changed over the last year, so I probably won't use him anymore =(

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Wayler said:

Huh, didn't know this classic was on the Nintendo handheld. But judging from the reviews  it looks to be a shitty port. 

I always picked Ivan, that crazy russian who only spoke russian and even his text lines were cyrillic so you had no clue what he was on about. I kinda didn't like that they made him learn english in later games. 

Oh well, as a happenstance my view for russian mercenaries has changed over the last year, so I probably won't use him anymore =(

Yeah, Ivan was one the best characters to start with being quite good and cheap, the other one being Fidel, some kind of terrorist that can snap during missions. 😅 That's the charm of the game I would say.

• Like 1