IGNORED

Advice needed on buying a retro handheld..

Trueblue

Hi all.. new here! Thanks for having me!

I am wondering which is the best budget handheld? Ideally I would love a Steam Deck, but I can't justify that much on a handheld atm.
So based on my own research it feels like its between :
Anbernic 353M

RG353M.thumb.png.8e9908bdbf5abd6e89b5fc8bb4c56c93.png
Anbernic RG505

RG505.thumb.png.4760376fe652df868b3bc4402bfb085c.png
Retroid Pocket 3+

1855680315_Pocket3.thumb.png.d3cc85fc7969eea58c376049e122a0df.png
Ayn Odin Pro (what is the difference between base and pro?)

odinpro.png.e29cd3180325eb1d969e95ee1c0b149b.png
I love the look of the 353M, love the dpad swap on the odin, but I just wish the 353M had more RAM and was capable of PS2/GC. Can't figure out why its almost the same price as the much superior (on paper) RG505 either. Anyone know why?
Just wish the 505 had the look of the 353. It looks boring IMO and the colour choices are crap.
So I think the 353M is only on my list because of high ratings and it looks great, but also the linux option was attractive.
But I suppose I need to look at one of the other 3 if I want PS2/GC games but came here for advice. Or maybe you know of a better handheld for that price range?
My budget is upto £200/$250 (GBP/USD)

require ps2/gc emulation

screen larger than 4" would be nice

Suggestions welcome! Cheers!

Edited by Trueblue

If you want real performance, bump the budget to get to $300~ for the Odin because the Anbernic at that price point isn't anywhere near as nice.  Retrododo and a few cover these things better than some forum post.

If you were just looking more basic, like 50-60% of N64 or so, PS1, GBA and backwards down the hill in complexity stuff $100 would go a long way.  I've got a 351p handheld from Anbernic I got second hand in town with some nice little perks, and that's where it rests for me.  I have to set by game to get full quality out of the games for N64, but Neo Geo, GBA, 16bit, 8bit...on point.  N64 is fine, just the highest end microcode and oddball pull from the hardware hungry stuff won't work or glitch badly, but at least 50-60+% of the general library works great too.   Stock firmware on the lot of them is less than awesome, but AmberELEC the best out there alternative firmwares really makes it shine like I said.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Yep I definitely want it to do some of the modern consoles like ps2 and GC. That pocket+ also promises pc gaming through its service too. Not sure how that works. Is it like cloud gaming?

I think the odin also is the beefier looking one for that price and I'm glad you think so as well!

Its hard to choose the right one as there are so many and most reviews these days are affiliate scams 😤

I just can't shake feeling that if I'm spending $250+ on the odin then am I going to regret not just spending extra for the steam deck which for the price is amazing. But also think maybe the odin will hold a decent resale value so I can always sell it and upgrade in the future.

Do you have any idea what the difference is between the odin base and pro? It doesn't even say on their own site.

Not heard or AmberELEC.  I'll look that up!

Edit: looked up amberelec. So does the odin have the same thing or is it going to be more limited than the anbernics?

P.s. have you checked out the 505 yet? It looks a lot better than the 353 but at a very similar price 🤔

Thanks!!

Edited by Trueblue

@Trueblue

Well the Steam Deck is a good bit more, and it's more of a portable PC to run that steam library of yours and all that.  The Odin is more open to lots of options as it's one of those android core handheld devices.  It's the non-cheap version of what I have in some basic way, mine caps out not doing the more complex N64 level stuff, PS1 works, Neo Geo, GBA, and other lesser stuff and that's all.  PS2, GC, that generation, you need an Odin at least for now.  Maybe 6-12mo down as prices fall and newer chips hit for them to push heavy on, you'll see an Anbernic device that's more comfy/approchable like my 351p that'll do Gamecube fine.  I'd upgrade at that rate, but I don't need a beast of a handheld now.

I trust this ONE site, they're not coin baiting losers taking bribes for reviews as far as I can tell: https://retrododo.com/ayn-odin-handheld/ but it's up to you to read and see what you think as it mixes the base and pro model.  The 505 I think had some issues, or was it the 353, again over my cares of a price point.  Do read that, it compares the part lists/upgrades the Pro has over base.  At the minimum I'll say another 1ghz speed and double the system memory, both units run at 1080p.

The Pro unit with the added power it has, you have base, performance, and high performance mode.  The fastest can do PS2 right, middle fits for Gamecube and Dreamcast, Saturn too which is nuts.

The Pro unit is $44 more than base, you get a lot more for not much money.  Right now they're running a sale, a good hard cut on both models.  I checked their site and caught this. $239(from $279) and Pro $287(from $324)
https://www.ayntec.com/collections/odin/products/odin?variant=42793157820608

I've got an Anbernic 351MP, which looks pretty much identical to the first pic in the OP - right down to the color - but I guess is the previous model?  

After having lived with this thing for several months now and having taken it on multiple trips (including a long trans-atlantic one 3 weeks ago) I came to some conclusions.  

- it is outstanding bang-for-your-buck (IMO)

- modern console controllers (like DualShock style and similar) have set a high bar for ergonomics and comfort.  Those "handles" that stick off the sides of modern controllers really allow for comfortable/natural placement of thumbs without having to crook your thumbs in awkward ways.  Playing one of these small handhelds, you really miss that comfort (at least, I do)

- I'm not sure emulating everything under the sun on a small/portable device like this is the revelatory experience one might think it would be.  In particular, the more "modern" consoles - maybe it's me but I just don't find those games very fun or satisfying on a tiny screen.  Like I said, I have dozens of PS1 games on there and a few of them I've enjoyed on the road but many of them I just say "meh... this game is neat but I'll wait till I'm at home to play it on a TV because it sucks on here."  

I say this right at a time when I'm starting to broaden my retro horizons and take an interest in more 3D-era consoles like PS2 and PS3 and Dreamcast, whereas for many years my interest stopped around PS1.  In other words, you'd think I'd be very excited about the prospect of being able to play those later consoles flawlessly on the go, and I was actually planning to upgrade my handheld this year to do so, but now I don't see myself doing that.  I've got a setup in my basement that makes those games absolutely rock, so I think I'll use the portable device to focus on games that play really well on a portable device.  Generally speaking, this means simpler is better.  Games that were designed to be portable are, unsurprisingly, awesome on the Anbernic.  GBA is a system I missed when it was current and it's a treasure trove, filled with cool, high-quality games.  On the trans-atlantic trip I mentioned above, I had a 9 hour flight home from Frankfurt and I think I spent like 5 hours straight playing a game called "Picture Puzzle" that I found while picking random games from the Neo Geo Pocket Color library, haha.  It's basically Mario's Picross without the Nintendo branding, but highly addictive just the same.  Again, it's a portable game playing great on a portable device. 

I'll throw in the obligatory YMMV disclaimer on all of this, but I just wanted to add it to the discourse because I think there is potentially money to be saved by going with a lower-power device that does a certain sub-set of stuff very well rather than trying to emulate everything under the sun at 60fps. 

• Like 1

If you're willing to spend the money, the Steam Deck is the most powerful handheld for the price.  That's because Valve is selling the hardware at close to cost, hoping your Steam purchases make up the profits.

For $270-300 delivered you can get the AYN Odin.  It's a great Android handheld capable of playing *some* GameCube and *some* PS2 games.  It plays everything below those systems perfectly.

For $170 delivered the Retroid Pocket 3+ is the best option.  It has a great screen, good controls, and runs Android and Retroid's custom game launcher that is better than the competition.  This can play *some* GameCube games but don't count on PS2.  Everything below those systems runs great.

The reality is the Steam Deck is the cheapest option that can reliably play PS2 games.  On most of the network-capable handhelds you can stream from a more powerful PC using Moonlight, which is the best option for playing PS2 games on a handheld on anything less expensive than the Steam Deck.

If you wait a while, the AYN Loki may be capable of playing PS2 games when it's released.  And of course, there will be more new handhelds from other companies in the future as well.

I happily play everything up to Dreamcast and PSP on my Anbernic RG503, which can also stream from a PC using Moonlight.  I love the OLED screen.  But I bought my RG503 before the Retroid Pocket 3+ was released, if I hadn't done that I would definitely get the RP3+ instead.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:19 AM, Tanooki said:

@Trueblue

Well the Steam Deck is a good bit more, and it's more of a portable PC to run that steam library of yours and all that.  The Odin is more open to lots of options as it's one of those android core handheld devices.  It's the non-cheap version of what I have in some basic way, mine caps out not doing the more complex N64 level stuff, PS1 works, Neo Geo, GBA, and other lesser stuff and that's all.  PS2, GC, that generation, you need an Odin at least for now.  Maybe 6-12mo down as prices fall and newer chips hit for them to push heavy on, you'll see an Anbernic device that's more comfy/approchable like my 351p that'll do Gamecube fine.  I'd upgrade at that rate, but I don't need a beast of a handheld now.

I trust this ONE site, they're not coin baiting losers taking bribes for reviews as far as I can tell: https://retrododo.com/ayn-odin-handheld/ but it's up to you to read and see what you think as it mixes the base and pro model.  The 505 I think had some issues, or was it the 353, again over my cares of a price point.  Do read that, it compares the part lists/upgrades the Pro has over base.  At the minimum I'll say another 1ghz speed and double the system memory, both units run at 1080p.

The Pro unit with the added power it has, you have base, performance, and high performance mode.  The fastest can do PS2 right, middle fits for Gamecube and Dreamcast, Saturn too which is nuts.

The Pro unit is $44 more than base, you get a lot more for not much money.  Right now they're running a sale, a good hard cut on both models.  I checked their site and caught this. $239(from $279) and Pro $287(from $324)
https://www.ayntec.com/collections/odin/products/odin?variant=42793157820608

Retrododo was the one I have been using for my info also, so I am glad you've added credibility to it! https://retrododo.com/best-retro-handhelds/

Thanks I appreciate your effort and putting everything into context for me!

Based on your reply + the review you gave me I actually tried to buy the Ayn Odin Pro Super Pack the other day, and found out that shipping to the UK is a further $80!!! I emailed them to ask if this was a mistake, but the guy said they're on Chinese NY holiday and won't be replying til its over. I would bet the sale ends then too! So at that point I thought maybe I should just look at the Steam Deck again.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:01 PM, Cynicaster said:

I've got an Anbernic 351MP, which looks pretty much identical to the first pic in the OP - right down to the color - but I guess is the previous model?  

After having lived with this thing for several months now and having taken it on multiple trips (including a long trans-atlantic one 3 weeks ago) I came to some conclusions.  

- it is outstanding bang-for-your-buck (IMO)

- modern console controllers (like DualShock style and similar) have set a high bar for ergonomics and comfort.  Those "handles" that stick off the sides of modern controllers really allow for comfortable/natural placement of thumbs without having to crook your thumbs in awkward ways.  Playing one of these small handhelds, you really miss that comfort (at least, I do)

- I'm not sure emulating everything under the sun on a small/portable device like this is the revelatory experience one might think it would be.  In particular, the more "modern" consoles - maybe it's me but I just don't find those games very fun or satisfying on a tiny screen.  Like I said, I have dozens of PS1 games on there and a few of them I've enjoyed on the road but many of them I just say "meh... this game is neat but I'll wait till I'm at home to play it on a TV because it sucks on here."  

I say this right at a time when I'm starting to broaden my retro horizons and take an interest in more 3D-era consoles like PS2 and PS3 and Dreamcast, whereas for many years my interest stopped around PS1.  In other words, you'd think I'd be very excited about the prospect of being able to play those later consoles flawlessly on the go, and I was actually planning to upgrade my handheld this year to do so, but now I don't see myself doing that.  I've got a setup in my basement that makes those games absolutely rock, so I think I'll use the portable device to focus on games that play really well on a portable device.  Generally speaking, this means simpler is better.  Games that were designed to be portable are, unsurprisingly, awesome on the Anbernic.  GBA is a system I missed when it was current and it's a treasure trove, filled with cool, high-quality games.  On the trans-atlantic trip I mentioned above, I had a 9 hour flight home from Frankfurt and I think I spent like 5 hours straight playing a game called "Picture Puzzle" that I found while picking random games from the Neo Geo Pocket Color library, haha.  It's basically Mario's Picross without the Nintendo branding, but highly addictive just the same.  Again, it's a portable game playing great on a portable device. 

I'll throw in the obligatory YMMV disclaimer on all of this, but I just wanted to add it to the discourse because I think there is potentially money to be saved by going with a lower-power device that does a certain sub-set of stuff very well rather than trying to emulate everything under the sun at 60fps.

I set out just wanting a simple classic emulator like yours, but I am like this with everything.. I have to get the best and I end up spending 4x more lmao. But in this case I think its more than justified for the level of hardware you get inside the Steam Deck, which I am strongly thinking about right now due to Ayn's shipping prices! Also like everything, I will probably end up collecting them and get the 353 also at some point as I just LOVE the look/size and simplicity of it. Plus the optional linux really interests me! Thanks for your post!

On 1/25/2023 at 8:27 AM, akator said:

If you're willing to spend the money, the Steam Deck is the most powerful handheld for the price.  That's because Valve is selling the hardware at close to cost, hoping your Steam purchases make up the profits.

For $270-300 delivered you can get the AYN Odin.  It's a great Android handheld capable of playing *some* GameCube and *some* PS2 games.  It plays everything below those systems perfectly.

For $170 delivered the Retroid Pocket 3+ is the best option.  It has a great screen, good controls, and runs Android and Retroid's custom game launcher that is better than the competition.  This can play *some* GameCube games but don't count on PS2.  Everything below those systems runs great.

The reality is the Steam Deck is the cheapest option that can reliably play PS2 games.  On most of the network-capable handhelds you can stream from a more powerful PC using Moonlight, which is the best option for playing PS2 games on a handheld on anything less expensive than the Steam Deck.

If you wait a while, the AYN Loki may be capable of playing PS2 games when it's released.  And of course, there will be more new handhelds from other companies in the future as well.

I happily play everything up to Dreamcast and PSP on my Anbernic RG503, which can also stream from a PC using Moonlight.  I love the OLED screen.  But I bought my RG503 before the Retroid Pocket 3+ was released, if I hadn't done that I would definitely get the RP3+ instead.

I think you're right about Steam Deck being the best value for money. Like with the Amazon devices, they make them cheap knowing people will fall into the subscription trap. But unlike with Amazon, it looks like the Steam Deck doesn't "tie your hands" and force you to only use their own or sponsored 3rd party software? That might change in the future, but for now its a big plus.

These days I am always reluctant to update anything, because 9 times out of 10, it comes with removal of freedom and control over your own device. I hope Valve don't go down that road..

I think based on the fact the shipping is so much for the odin and the fact I can't seem to find a UK reseller, I am going to probably wait another month or so to grab the Steam Deck. I am just wondering though, did they go on sale during black friday or xmas? It'd be typical if I just missed it!!

The only thing that bothers me about the SD is it looks huge and its obviously a little more expensive/prone to theft. Maybe not so travel-friendly? I also worry a bit about its weight and is it comfortable for long sessions or is it something that gets a bit tedius to hold? Feels like its not something you could hold while laying down / lounging on the couch kinda thing..

Thanks all! there is some good info here which has taught me a lot.

Will keep you updated on what I do and if anyone has any other ideas please let me know. :)

• Like 1