IGNORED

It's 2023... Is there an Intellivision flashcard available for purchase anywhere?

RockLobster

I've found older posts here about LTO availability that doesn't appear to have been resolved.  Even then, it's still one of the remaining flashcarts that require writing to the onboard EEPROM instead of it reading files off of current removable media.

If there isn't a rewritable solution, are there at least one of those "128-in-1" carts?

I just want to play INTV on real hardware without having to scavenge for this game or that game here and there.   In the meanwhile, I'll be slumming it via the MiSTer.  :)

• Like 1

No idea if anyone makes classic multicarts anymore. That probably would be the original set of 125 games, to save on space as most of the homebrews are significantly larger. While they all probably fit on a LTO! cartridge, it would mean the multicart would need to have close to the same capacity anyway, just not reprogrammable.

I'm working on a version of the "RTO" (search on AtariAge if you're not familiar with it). This is a MicroSD cart, with menu on the cartridge display. Obviously it doesn't have the power of an LTO, but if you just want to play the classics and most of the homebrews that are freely available, it should work well. It'll be mostly the same as the original RTO, but with new board layout and smaller shell.

For a project like this, the goal is low cost and only enough profit to cover prototypes and potential issues that could occur. The target is $80 USD maximum (hopefully a bit less), fully assembled in a shell.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rocklobster, I have to say, I've never seen a multicart for the intellivision like I have for the Atari 2600, 5200, Colecovision, Odyssey 2, Vectrex, etc.  Except for a one off type deal and that was supreme Frakencart... and I'm talking about one similar to all the cheap knockoff NES 500 in 1s...  seems like every system known to man has had one except the intellivision.  

I would think that the best way to go would be a flash cart when one becomes available...

I think one of the main reasons throughout the years has been the fact that BSR still owns the intellectual right to the intv library and out of respect to the community, one just hasn't been created.

Edited by 4ever2600
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

Rocklobster, I have to say, I've never seen a multicart for the intellivision like I have for the Atari 2600, 5200, Colecovision, Odyssey 2, Vectrex, etc.  Except for a one off type deal and that was supreme Frakencart... and I'm talking about one similar to all the cheap knockoff NES 500 in 1s...  seems like every system known to man has had one except the intellivision.  

I would think that the best way to go would be a flash cart when one becomes available...

I think one of the main reasons throughout the years has been the fact that BSR still owns the intellectual right to the intv library and out of respect to the community, one just hasn't been created.

A multicart like there are for Atari, Coleco, Odyssey etc. is avaialable for Intellivision too to everyone is able to solder a few through-hole components, with RTO-Cart ( https://github.com/aotta/RTO-Cart ) , that was the goal that port me to create the T-Cart Replica!

And, as written above, 5-11under is working for selling some built boards too.

I don't think the reasons for only 2 multicart (and few pieces) in the last years is becaouse of the intellectual right, but for the special way that Intellivision's roms works, with its muliplexed bus and strange banking switching.

In my RTO i don't use copyrighted software from Intlv, and it can be used for homebrew software if you don't own original Intellivision's software.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Awesome, yea count me in for one of these as well. 

I have a backbit and I love it, but I'd actually like to have the option to make it available for another system.  Does anyone know if JLP support is intended to be supported with RTO?   Also, does address ram needs for games like Chess?  Not many games use extra ram, but those handful of games won't work without it unfortunately.  

14 minutes ago, Caleb Garner said:

I have a backbit and I love it, but I'd actually like to have the option to make it available for another system.  Does anyone know if JLP support is intended to be supported with RTO?   Also, does address ram needs for games like Chess?  Not many games use extra ram, but those handful of games won't work without it unfortunately.  

For the backbit, I'm assuming you can just unplug from one machine and plug into another, right? Do you need to switch the MicroSD cart at that point, or can you keep files from multiple consoles on the MicroSD? The backbit is a freakishly amazing product, but there's of course the requirement to connect to several cartridge pinouts that isn't always simple.

aotto is the programmer for the RTO. It'll play chess (ECS bankswitching), and I think it has "cartridge" RAM available, but from what I see, it doesn't have the JLP functions such as the offline multiplication and gamesave memory. It also doesn't have the JLP security, of course, to buy/install games that are locked to a single cartridge.

5 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

I'm assuming you can just unplug from one machine and plug into another, right? Do you need to switch the MicroSD cart at that point, or can you keep files from multiple consoles on the MicroSD?

yea the OS for the system to the best of my knowledge (i've not personally used it with anything but intellvision up till now) the SD card is just read by any system..  a single SD card could hold a dozen different system folders and files and you just nave to each one..    the main thing for it to be a swiss army knife is that there are adapters needed for various carts..  since we all know each system often has it's own unique interface.. 

6 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

It'll play chess (ECS bankswitching), and I think it has "cartridge" RAM available,

ah that's great.  those are definitely the biggest ones.  I saw the bad apple demo running on it so that's bank switching at its finest :) 

7 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

it doesn't have the JLP functions such as the offline multiplication and gamesave memory. It also doesn't have the JLP security, of course, to buy/install games that are locked to a single cartridge.

yea understandable. it's not a trivial thing to implement, but i still would love to see it on these devices as there are a solid number of games that do use it and more games will come that may lean on it..   the save/load stuff is just too cool for people who want to make a deeper game experience like an RPG and such..  a lot of possibilities..  high scores.. leaderboards..  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

Thank you!  I thought so too but since this is such an outlier I needed other people to validate.

4 hours ago, aotta said:

A multicart like there are for Atari, Coleco, Odyssey etc. is avaialable for Intellivision too to everyone is able to solder a few through-hole components, with RTO-Cart ( https://github.com/aotta/RTO-Cart ) , that was the goal that port me to create the T-Cart Replica!

As a new Intellivision owner trying to catch up, the link was very helpful.  However I didn't see any links on that Github for kits to be sold?   

1 hour ago, Caleb Garner said:

I thought JLP was being looked into on the Intellivision BBPro adapter? In any event the BBPro is not working for all of the original released games and quite a few of the homebrews on the Intellivision so it is a very good choice as well.

45 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

For the backbit, I'm assuming you can just unplug from one machine and plug into another, right? Do you need to switch the MicroSD cart at that point, or can you keep files from multiple consoles on the MicroSD? The backbit is a freakishly amazing product, but there's of course the requirement to connect to several cartridge pinouts that isn't always simple.

You are correct in that the BBPro doesn't require different SD cards for each of the systems you want to use it with. You just need to put them into different folders to sort them. So as an example my Intellivision stuff is in a main folder called INTV with a few other subfolders in there. The BBPro remembers where you left off on the menu navigation last, so if for instance I was using my 5200 adapter last and then plug it into my Intellivision, then it will actually start me off in the 5200 ROMs folder I was last in and I have to navigate back to the Intellivision ROMs folder. But it is very quick to navigate on the BBpro and it loads the ROMs up crazy quick.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RockLobster said:

As a new Intellivision owner trying to catch up, the link was very helpful.  However I didn't see any links on that Github for kits to be sold?   

I share the project for who want to make himself the cart, it's very easy and cheap (except for the Teensy 4.1 that is not really cheap and available), but i don't produce neither sell the RTO.

I didn't want to create a new cart for the market, so who want to build the RTO and sell it could use this forum or others to spread the words! 

• Like 1