IGNORED

Cut Red Tape for Online Sales Act

amiman99

2 hours ago, amiman99 said:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/3840/text?r=26&s=1

Change the threshold from online sales form $600 to $5000.

Does anyone knows if this bill will pass or actively worked on?

I hope so!  When the original bill was introduced I followed the ebay "e-mail your congressperson about this" using an automated form - and I got back an automated "blah blah blah I'm replying to your letter without actually addressing anything" response from them.

Just a warning to please keep politics out of this thread.

I certainly agree that the $600 limit is pretty ridiculous for people who are just selling personal items on eBay and other services. 

As this bill was introduced in Congress last year, it's now dead and would need to be reintroduced in the new Congress.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Agreed both parts Albert said... it's ridiculous and should be fixed, and keep from slapping around the political party stuff given who inflicted it. 😕

I've got stuff I'd still like to part with, but I'm hoping it's re-introduced again earlier this time in the year to give it a shot as it seemed both parties were interested since there's a blowback from it harming a lot of people.  Gig workers were gaming the system going up to the cap with one account, then switching to another, or joining multiple driver services during the virus which brought this down largely from the looks of it.  But at $600 you harm people even doing simple garage sales or getting rid of an old piece of furniture or two basically.  5K would be perfect, enough to part off some stuff at a slow pace over a year without getting nailed to the wall for it worse than the sites who do this for you do already(especially the high ebay cut.)

Even that seems a ridiculous limit to me...let people run a (ANY Business) business that grosses a max of say, 100 or 125k, and leave them the f alone. When you grow beyond that, you can go onto a tiered tax step up program (to be sure the load doesn't sink the business immediately).

Proposed limits like these combined with the insane interstate sales tax laws since the Wayfair decision just make it harder and harder to start anything but a damn lemonade stand.

I don't agree with the 6 figure income, that's a laugh, most people don't pull 1(or 2(family)) pull that much money in in a lot of places so that's a lot of cash.  20K was more than reasonable it's why it lasted I think as long as it did, 5k isn't the best but it's well more than enough still to be fair to small time sellers, dumping a few big ticket household items, even a used car depending too.  $600 is just disgusting, and sure call it as it is, but I still sell just locally, cash only, which drives some people nuts with perpetual begging for cashapp and other traced funds and I refuse.  It limits things so it takes longer, but that's how it has to be now because of this greedy lower income targeted cash grab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's right...most people don't pull that kind of money, but I never claimed they did so.....so?

My idea is not just to protect small sellers who shouldn't be confused with full time businesses (which is important), but also to encourage actual small business growth by not overburdening them in their most tumultuous period (start up) with burdensome taxes and compliance issues. It would protect your various sales AND the sales of a mom and pop business. Not a laughing matter to me. If getting a business off the ground became far easier, maybe more people WOULD be making 6 figures. And everybody would benefit from the SAME law, from a 605$ seller to a 60k seller.

I mean....100k+ may not be a common PERSONAL income but so far as an annual business income...we're hardly protecting fat cat corporations here with a level like that. You're helping a guy get his barbershop off the ground, or that local used bookstore, or your lawn service, whatever.

• Like 2