IGNORED

Are homebrew Driving Controllers or parts being made?

orion1052003

BEST Electronics no longer has driving controllers. 1-21-23. Does somebody make NEW internals or a new long lasting board like BEST does for the joystick controllers, but pertaining to driving controllers? I have a few old driving controllers and have take them apart and tried to clean them. I have no idea how to fix them and doubt that I could If I knew. Does anyone make new repro driving controllers, or higher quality than the original internal parts for the driving controllers?

537px-Atari_2600_-_Driving_Controller_-_CX_20.jpg

17 minutes ago, orion1052003 said:

I have a few old driving controllers and have take them apart and tried to clean them.

Do you have several driving controllers and none of them works?!

What are the symptoms exactly? (Remember that the ONLY original game that will work with a driving controller is Indy 500. There are a handful of hacks and homebrews that can use it too).

The mechanical encoder is very simple and it's uncommon for it to have issues. If the controller is malfunctioning I'd suspect the cable.

• Like 2

Yes. Well, the turning is random to the point where sometimes it turns very suddenly and others you have to keep turning for too long before it starts to move. I cleaned 2 and afterwards one is a little more responsive, but both are similar enough that you can't use them to play unless you want to just careen all over the place and call that playing. I was hoping to fix or get another to play INDY 500 XE. It could be the cable, but I wouldn't have a way to know or test that. After cleaning, I've only tested out the controllers on Stella rather than on real hardware so far. But I doubt it would act much different.

21 hours ago, alex_79 said:

The mechanical encoder is very simple and it's uncommon for it to have issues. If the controller is malfunctioning I'd suspect the cable.

Indeed.  The Driving controllers are amazingly reliable.  I've never seen one that failed.  Unlike paddle controllers of which I've had many sets and they just don't last long at all.

1 hour ago, orion1052003 said:

I was hoping to fix or get another to play INDY 500 XE. ... I've only tested out the controllers on Stella rather than on real hardware so far.

Did you configure Stella for Driving Controllers?  I just downloaded Indy 500 XE and it appears that Stella defaults to Joystick for it. I'm not positive, but I believe when set for Joystick that Stella's routines prevent UP and DOWN from being used simultaneously, which is a required state for the Driving controllers to function correctly.

image.thumb.png.ea8b80ae00fa9a1731a8a959cf5cb1a0.png

As an update I tracked down my Stelladaptor and tried it with Stella.  Stella shows that it's emulating the left joystick port and identified it as controller C0:

image.thumb.png.c62ba7885547f471d85f08cbddc55776.png

However, I'm not having any luck in getting the driving controller to work correctly with Indy 500 or Indy 500 XE. The driving controller does work correctly on my real 2600. Joystick and paddle games work correctly in Stella with the Stelladaptor.

Any ideas @stephena or @Thomas Jentzsch?

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

There is a bug in the DC code for Stelladapter (since Stella 6.1!) which I found and fixed a few days ago. 

Got the latest source and it works for me!

@orion1052003 your driving controller's probably fine, there was a bug in Stella. You'll need to wait for the next release of Stella to fix it, build it yourself if you know how, or get somebody to build it for you. I can send you a build for the Mac.

Yes, I can wait for the next Stella release. Thank you much for those screenshots. I didn't do a thing, just plugged the driving controllers into the Stelladaptor, and then the USB cable in before running Stella. I don't know much about the configuration and options, I've only messed with a minute bit of it. I'll have to learn more about the menu, and re-test the driving controllers out on a 2600. It seems like they worked better than THAT at least, the last time I had used them.