IGNORED

2600 Six Switch Colour Issue

Yosikuma

Hey! I have a six switch that has recently started exhibiting an odd behaviour about a minute or two into play. Suddenly the colours will shift rather abruptly. See the photos above. The games will start fine and then shift to this.

is there a fix to this? What can I do? I replaced the TIA chip a couple of years ago so I don’t think it’s that.

999D84E4-18CB-4FBD-A6A4-959B34581180.jpeg

26A17C7F-7419-4989-A7A5-22504A88534D.jpeg

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You using an original power supply?

Could also be an issue with a loose solder joint inside the system that once it heats up enough, produces these issues.

I am using an aftermarket power supply. How can I check if it is a solder joint?

1 minute ago, Yosikuma said:

I am using an aftermarket power supply. How can I check if it is a solder joint?

Hmm...the aftermarket supply could be the issue. Do you not have access to an OEM one that works?

Another thought is the voltage regulator on its way out, but I would make sure to use an OEM power supply if possible that puts out the right amount of needed voltage and current. But 2600s will start to do weird stuff with their colors like that when the voltage or current isn't quite where it should be.

6 minutes ago, Yosikuma said:

Sadly my OEM went missing during my last move. Do I need one? I have a Retro 2600; would that cause it?

It is possible yes. They are supposed to be rated to 9v at 500ma output, but I've heard of others having issues with them. I don't use them myself as I have a few OEM ones in storage and one on my bench for working on them as needed.