What would you want to be enabled to buy from Atari?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Of all possible, impossible or fairly possible things Atari could conceivably produce and sell, what would you buy?

• A 2600-Mini, working on modern TVs, with original cartridge slots reading all regions, including all major titles?
    • A 5200-Mini, working with all modern TVs, having cartridge-slots reading all 5200 carts & including most major 5200 titles?
    • A 7800-Mini, working with all modern TVs, with cart-slots reading original 7800 games (both PAL and NTSC), and including all or a majority of original 7800-games
    • A Lynx-Mini, working with all modern TVs, with external cart-slot reading original Lynx-carts, having inbuilt all or a majority of original Lynx-titles
    • A Jaguar-Mini, working with all modern TVs, having s drive that’ll read original Jaguar publications 100% as to hardware reading, and containg all or most Jaguar-Titles
    • An Atari-Universal Console, which has the capabilities and the necessary slots to read and run all original Atari-console cartridges and mini-cards etc etc, on all modern TVs, nothing inbuilt, but costing less
    • An Atari-Universal Console with external hardware slots for all generations of cartridges and mem-cards, running on all modern TVs, and with many possibilities on a software download shop

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So, Atari released their 50th anniversary compilation on multiple platforms.

Mayhap a great introduction to those less aquainted with a larger part of Atari’s later releases.

Perhaps for other, a bit lacking in precisely those areas where one had fond memories…

And as to the future and as to personal wishes,

…what’s your personal wish for future Atari gaming…?

A-hem, 2 more categories popped up in my head, - and well, dunno how to sqeeze ‘em in there.

- how ‘bout the Atari-core-crowd go and crowd-fund  the best of tte best, the most expensive of expenisive stuff…?

If they money dont get there: its ‘game over’ for a re-release.

- a new update for the 50th anniversary release: if you’ve bought it, and updated its content, you’ll get codes to access more stuff, either by earning points, through playing, through sharing Ads about it, or through just going through everything… ie, eventually opening s sort of shop of download-portal through continual use.

I would like a modern 7800 clone with 2600 backward compatibility.  Although I'd want it to be a full system with a cartridge slot from someone like Analogue as opposed to a mini console from "Atari", who would only screw it up.  Adapters to play Atari 8-bit & 5200 carts (just like the Mega SG uses to play SG-1000, Master System, and GG games) would certainly a plus.

• Like 7

On 1/22/2023 at 1:45 AM, Psionic said:

modern 7800 clone with 2600 backward compatibility.  Although I'd want it to be a full system with a cartridge slot from someone like Analogue as opposed to a mini console from "Atari", who would only screw it up.  Adapters to play Atari 8-bit

… ok & ho-ho, slow-down a bit here will ya…? 

To me and others here who aren’t aquainted with the hardware-possibilities you speak of, could be nice to hear it described from a user-point-of-view…

I already have ways to play "digital" copies officially from Atari like a couple of Flashbacks, Vaults and VCS style Pi cases so I'm good in that department. 

What I really would like though is a way to play my existing 2600 carts without having to recap my collection of non-working consoles, especially if they're re-releasing game carts under the Atari XP label.  And at those insane prices, you'd think Atari would release a current console that actually places the friggin' things...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

without having to recap my collection of non-working consoles

Biggest pile of internet crap that I wish would go away already.  I can guarantee that not a single Atari console has bad capacitors in it.  A tube radio from 1940 with paper.wax capacitors, yeah, I might be concerned.

• Like 1

2 things from Atari Id like to see (far fetched as they may be lol)

1.)Classic joystick models (2600,5200,7800,XEGS) for modern consoles (Xbox,Switch,PS)

2.)Classic keyboard models (Atari 400,800,XL,XE,ST) to use with the modern VCS that would give the user access to PC mode with the flip of a switch.

19 hours ago, Stephen said:

Biggest pile of internet crap that I wish would go away already.  I can guarantee that not a single Atari console has bad capacitors in it.  A tube radio from 1940 with paper.wax capacitors, yeah, I might be concerned.

Oh excuse me for not being an almighty tech wiz like you are, jackhole!

18 minutes ago, Keatah said:

The original fun we had when we'd get a new Atari console and cartridges in the 1970's.

Ok, - for my own part I’d have to ‘transpose’ original fun to the 80ies -, but totally get your point (… how many these days wonder how Ghosts N Goblins should’ve been made as cool Game & Watch-thing, … 1 out of 7 billion..???), - but seeing your wish for the original fun, concrete questions arise:

- How would such  *fun*  look, sound and play, today on modern consoles…?

- What made these early games so much fun; their atmosphere, inventivness, their gameplay-factor, their looks (as of their day), something else…? If so, what - if it can be described…? (guess, we all want good descriptions of what defines good gaming here).

- is it that it would be   o r i g i n a l,

or that it would keep up throughout the console-generations, what precisely made these games the original fun they had?

- - -

Describe: dream-scenario Atari-2020ies gaming experience 

(If you feel like),

[yes, have some ideas floating around in my head myself… but, for now, could be cool to hear The Folk sayeth…]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

A hotel room.  It's been my lifelong ambition to stay somewhere that has Dig Dug sheets on every bed.

Oh, wait...

If Atari had gotten the license to make a 3D shooter of Star Wars Episode 2, Attack of the Clones, they ought to have Pokey/Yamaha-sample of 

. "You want to go home and rethink your life," 

and actually go home and do precisely do that… 

… all of them…

If Atari had gotten the license to a 3D Matrix Shooter, they may have wanted to Pokey-sample the line concerning the choice of red pill or blue pill, …

then take the red pill, and re-arm and re-load for some universal heavy-duty game-design…

… and then as to 2010… like so far out, so into a sort video-game-dissolving oblivion (with with some few exceptions), one wonders what really happened to it all (if some of the stuff I read is correct), yet it seems something may be going the right way from 2020ies, onwards… 

… 

For own part I wonder why they seem so unfocused, why they seem to be going over and over, again and again the same old mistakes, that made the somewhat fade, 

Edited by Giles N

3 hours ago, MrMaddog said:
22 hours ago, Stephen said:

Oh excuse me for not being an almighty tech wiz like you are, jackhole!

Sorry - the snide comment was not meant towards you.  But to be fair, please don't just randomly do it thinking it's a cure all because it's not.

20 hours ago, Giles N said:

- What made these early games so much fun; their atmosphere, inventivness, their gameplay-factor, their looks (as of their day), something else…? If so, what - if it can be described…? (guess, we all want good descriptions of what defines good gaming here).

A lot of it was just novelty.   The fact that we could control what happens on a TV screen might be taken for granted now, but in the 70s it was completely a new thing for most of us.   So most games delivered some measure of fun if only because it was a completely new experience.

A lot of those early games didn't age well.     I find that only a fraction of the 2600 games I used to enjoy are still fun.      For a modern Atari to capture the kind of fun they used to deliver, I suppose they'd need to discover the next big gaming franchise,  and they probably don't have the funds to do that.  Most likely they just continue to be a nostalgia play.