IGNORED

Buy Atari's 100.00 brand new Warlords game cart from Atari.com or Atari's 100.00 Warlords game cart from the infamous E.T. Alamagordo landfill pit...

4ever2600

This post is meant to be A WEE bit satirical.   Would like to discuss, but please do not take too seriously...

Ahhh the age old, or new, dilemma. 

Do I buy Atari's 100.00 brand new Warlords game cart from Atari.com

03_Warlords_06_1080x1080_7b7bfd87-2719-4d1e-b44a-88b8d5015afd.jpg.2d91aa4424e2a446323789f6d87b8995.jpg

OR

Atari's 100.00 original Warlords game cart from the infamous E.T. Alamagordo landfill pit from eBay and the official organizer of the dig.

1773765890__1.jpeg.70857c546e1a32869b2a474b28556351.jpeg

Comparison:

Both collectors items.

Both are the exact same game.

One stinks after being preserved in the NM landfill for 40 years, as of this year and is part of one of the largest urban legends in video gamedom.  Comes with dirt samples from the dig as well as accompanied box and or paperwork...  May still work fine as I've heard some work, some dont.

One stinks of a 50th anniversary cash grab and comes with box and accompanied paperwork... May still work fine as I've heard some work, some dont.

Both should go in a framed shadowbox to be hung on the wall as it rises in value.

Both eventually might end up either on ebay or back in a landfill.

Soon, both will be sold out... forever!

If you only have 100.00 to spend on either option, what would you do?

What other comparisons can you make?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ok, I'll bite. Landfill copy for sure. I just don't see any reason for the new Warlords to exist. (Not hating on the new Atari. I actually thought bringing out Aquaventure, Saboteur, and Yars' Return was a good idea, if only the cartridges worked). The landfill games, however, are legendary.

• Like 1

I agree with you on the first three Atari released... aquaventure, yars return and saboteur.  Still dont understand half the other carts.  Again also not hating on current day Atari.  Agree way more about the digs carts.  I think about that and I can help but always think...

935786462_download(1).jpeg.2455e1a0709bb0a3d83c258c28d5f9a2.jpeg

Maybe it doesn't help I'm watching Raiders of the Lost Ark on Paramount right now...

Haha, I was hoping rom hunter would chime in here.  I knew was his answer was going to be...

Hey Bomberman94!  You just thought of another comparison!

Neither has a PAL version up for sale!

Even though a Pal Warlords exists, the ones offered are def NTSC.

That sucks they aren't doing a pal version for all our Atari fans across the pond!

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who actually bought one of the non-working Saboteur carts from Atari and was disappointed when their next round of releases were a bunch of ugly, overpriced, shelf candy re-releases of games everyone has sixteen copies of instead of more unreleased games (Save Mary, maybe an NTSC Fatal Run), I'm going to say...

Neither.

The landfill story is cool and I'm glad someone finally went out there and got to the bottom of it (pun intended), but "owning a piece of history," especially if I have to encase that history in lucite to protect my family from the smell, isn't something I can get jazzed about dropping a hundred bucks on. I'd much rather buy a couple of homebrews.

I love threads about sound financial strategies for retirement planning! :D

My question is this: has anyone dumped any of the 50th Anniversary cartridges and checked their contents against known-good dumps of the same game(s)?  While I don't expect Atari SA to have gone to any special trouble to use anything they didn't find on the Internet, it would at least be interesting to see if they did.

Having said that, tossing $100 at finding out that they used the same ROMs as everyone else would ultimately be unrewarding.  It may also mean giving Atari SA $100, which isn't something I want to encourage.  If someone else does it, fine, but I'd rather not be the catalyst for setting that particular train in motion.  Buy secondhand.

A hundred bucks for a landfill cartridge...  Well, at least it has intrinsic value beyond just being a cartridge on a plastic stand.  Being able to say, "I bought a game that was at the bottom of a landfill for forty years and part of an urban legend that was later dispelled," sounds better than, "...and then I went to the order page and bought a reissue of a game from forty-odd years ago."  There's an actual story behind the landfill cart; the other one is just a thing that was ordered off of the Internet.

Personally, I'd spend the $100 on hookers and blackjack, but that's just me.  When push comes to shove, though, stinkycart wins out.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't spend money on either but if it were a prize and I had to choose I would definitely pick the landfill cart. It actually has some history behind it while the other holds no interest for me whatsoever. Another way to look at it: if I were to frame one and hang it on my wall how would people react to it? In both cases someone might say "you paid $100 for that?!?!" but at least with the landfill cart there's an interesting story to tell about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zzip said:

Buy the new one, crush it throw it in a landfill, cover it in dirt, make up an urban legend and sell it for $200!

Then use the money and buy one copy of each

You forgot one step, get it Wata graded before selling, make 400.00 but one of each and spend the other 200.00 on homebrews from AA... 😆 

23 hours ago, Keir said:

I wouldn't spend money on either but if it were a prize and I had to choose I would definitely pick the landfill cart. It actually has some history behind it while the other holds no interest for me whatsoever. Another way to look at it: if I were to frame one and hang it on my wall how would people react to it? In both cases someone might say "you paid $100 for that?!?!" but at least with the landfill cart there's an interesting story to tell about it.

That's a very interesting idea Keir...  I like that idea, a drawing and/ or prize... 

Love your profile pic as well.  Very old school D&D look to it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

You forgot one step, get it Wata graded before selling, make 400.00 but one of each and spend the other 200.00 on homebrews from AA... 😆 

Now that I think of it this copy of the new Warlords cart is the only one that "got buried" and "recovered" from a landfill,  that makes it "one of a kind" and must be worth at least $1000 :)

For me I think it's a bit of a fascination or obsession concerning this.  Part of it knowing they are down to 22 carts and that's it.

Wishing I had been at the 1983 burial to grab a bunch of yet unsoiled games hits a nostalgia part of me.

Wanting to do my own dig there before and  after seeing the 2014 dig and what was required to do all of that!

What can I say, forever a 2600 Atari fanatic...

That's how you know... lol

Edited by 4ever2600

On 1/22/2023 at 3:10 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

I love threads about sound financial strategies for retirement planning! :D

My question is this: has anyone dumped any of the 50th Anniversary cartridges and checked their contents against known-good dumps of the same game(s)?  While I don't expect Atari SA to have gone to any special trouble to use anything they didn't find on the Internet, it would at least be interesting to see if they did.

Having said that, tossing $100 at finding out that they used the same ROMs as everyone else would ultimately be unrewarding.  It may also mean giving Atari SA $100, which isn't something I want to encourage.  If someone else does it, fine, but I'd rather not be the catalyst for setting that particular train in motion.  Buy secondhand.

A hundred bucks for a landfill cartridge...  Well, at least it has intrinsic value beyond just being a cartridge on a plastic stand.  Being able to say, "I bought a game that was at the bottom of a landfill for forty years and part of an urban legend that was later dispelled," sounds better than, "...and then I went to the order page and bought a reissue of a game from forty-odd years ago."  There's an actual story behind the landfill cart; the other one is just a thing that was ordered off of the Internet.

Personally, I'd spend the $100 on hookers and blackjack, but that's just me.  When push comes to shove, though, stinkycart wins out.

I wonder if we can convince anyone to port these landfill games to the 5200?  That would be epic.

• Haha 2

On 1/21/2023 at 7:02 PM, 4ever2600 said:

Do I buy Atari's 100.00 brand new Warlords game cart from Atari.com

Why do you keep typing "100.00" over and over when what I'm guessing you actually mean is "$100"?

$100 isn't even right. According to the site you failed to link to, it's actually $99.99. And it's sold out.

13 minutes ago, ZylonBane said:

Why do you keep typing "100.00" over and over when what I'm guessing you actually mean is "$100"?

$100 isn't even right. According to the site you failed to link to, it's actually $99.99. And it's sold out.

Good question, no idea...  guess I just like typing 100.00...

I didn't link to either... I just grabbed a pic from each and posted them.  One of the pics properties must have carried over the hyperlink and the other didn't.

What?!?! Sold out now and was only off by .01?!?!?!?!

Well that's settles that moral dilemma.  

Thanks for the heads up...

30 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Only if they can also be ported to the A8 afterwards, then ported back to the 5200 again just to be safe.

Why bother, because everyonw knows it will play better with the 5200 analog stick!  (for the 20 minutes before the controller breaks...)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, zzip said:

Why bother, because everyonw knows it will play better with the 5200 analog stick!  (for the 20 minutes before the controller breaks...)

Not a problem because the 2600 port will also work on the CX55 VCS Cartridge Adaptor whenever someone makes that one, so you can just use regular 9-pin digital joysticks for it!  And it's still kinda almost just like it's running on the 5200, amirite?