IGNORED

Problem with my new VCS

jeremiahjt

First question, does the account the VCS asks for after startup include the account from Atari.com, or is it specific to the VCS?

I hooked up my VCS and started it up.  It has me push the Atari button on the modern controller and then the A button on it after showing me a controller diagram.  It then asks for language and I select English.  Next I have to choose my connection.  I find my wireless and input my password.  It connects fine.  Next it goes to an update screen.  It says check for updates and then installing updates.  For installing updates, it says 1 of 4 and before it goes to 2 of 4 it changes to Select Account.

I tried to Sign in with existing since I have an Atari.com account, but after inputting my email and clicking Next, nothing happens.  I then try to Create new account.  I accept the license agreement where I go to a screen to select icon.  No icons appear and it says Failed to fetch data please click retry to try again.  I click retry multiple times, but always the same message.  Next I try guest, but I cannot start VCS Vault nor update anything.

So I go find a 25 foot ethernet cable and do the same thing again with all the same results.

Also, I cannot see the top of the screen.  I can make out Games, Apps, Store, and System in the middle, but there is also something on the right side.  Occasionally a drop down appears on top of those, but I cannot make out anything on it.  I changed my settings from Full HD to HD, but it did not do anything.  I have an older HD tv, but it is still HD.

I assume I will have to download the updates to a USB, but who knows.

I did submit a ticket to Atari, but I have little faith that they will get back to me in a timely manner.

• Like 2

Hey there,

I don't believe that any Atari.com account is connected to the VCS. I believe the VCS accounts are unique to that platform but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

To me, it sounds like you will need to flash the VCS. An Atari employee has a video of the process here:

This is the link from the Atari VCS Discord for the image to flash the VCS:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18h01VknAi8eFsCFxeEe2DiCMo1XoT6Y9/view?usp=sharing

I also had the problem with the screen being cut off on one of my older tvs. It has worked fine on all my other monitors / tvs. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of any workaround for that issue and others have experienced that problem as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

First question, does the account the VCS asks for after startup include the account from Atari.com, or is it specific to the VCS?

I hooked up my VCS and started it up.  It has me push the Atari button on the modern controller and then the A button on it after showing me a controller diagram.  It then asks for language and I select English.  Next I have to choose my connection.  I find my wireless and input my password.  It connects fine.  Next it goes to an update screen.  It says check for updates and then installing updates.  For installing updates, it says 1 of 4 and before it goes to 2 of 4 it changes to Select Account.

I tried to Sign in with existing since I have an Atari.com account, but after inputting my email and clicking Next, nothing happens.  I then try to Create new account.  I accept the license agreement where I go to a screen to select icon.  No icons appear and it says Failed to fetch data please click retry to try again.  I click retry multiple times, but always the same message.  Next I try guest, but I cannot start VCS Vault nor update anything.

So I go find a 25 foot ethernet cable and do the same thing again with all the same results.

Also, I cannot see the top of the screen.  I can make out Games, Apps, Store, and System in the middle, but there is also something on the right side.  Occasionally a drop down appears on top of those, but I cannot make out anything on it.  I changed my settings from Full HD to HD, but it did not do anything.  I have an older HD tv, but it is still HD.

I assume I will have to download the updates to a USB, but who knows.

I did submit a ticket to Atari, but I have little faith that they will get back to me in a timely manner.

Please go HERE and ping either davpa or ashlee and they can help you with whatever issue you have.  You can also DM them and they will assist you.

• Like 3

The TV cropping issue is due to something called overscan.  That's purely down to your old TV.  It should have a setting (on the TV) for adjusting it. It may have different names for the setting. 

But I did have a older Philips flatscreen that did that and there was nothing I could do, it always cropped the input.  I had to use another display for consoles etc.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It took a while, but I finally got my new VCS working.  I created a ticket through the website and waited a few days.  Then I tried the live chat, where no one responded and it timed out.  Then I tried a different contact method on the website.  A few days after that I sent a regular email.  A couple of days later I got a response from Ray Richard with detailed instructions on what to do.  I am not sure which method got the response, but I am glad something worked.

Spent quite a bit of time playing Antstream Arcade once everything was good to go.  I am pretty sure I signed up for their premium subscription for $12 for the whole year.  Well now I am officially a VCS user.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

It took a while, but I finally got my new VCS working.  I created a ticket through the website and waited a few days.  Then I tried the live chat, where no one responded and it timed out.  Then I tried a different contact method on the website.  A few days after that I sent a regular email.  A couple of days later I got a response from Ray Richard with detailed instructions on what to do.  I am not sure which method got the response, but I am glad something worked.

Spent quite a bit of time playing Antstream Arcade once everything was good to go.  I am pretty sure I signed up for their premium subscription for $12 for the whole year.  Well now I am officially a VCS user.

Glad that you got everything working.  I really like the VCS, which is one of the three systems I play the most at the moment.  The other two are the MiSTer and the Xbox series X.  There are so many great games on the AtariOS store. I recommend all of the recharged titles and Atari 50 as that has an exclusive classic joystick mode for many of the games and also has circus atari.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rennervision said:

I'm having the exact same problem.  Could you share the solution?  Thank you very much. 

I had to flash the system like other people had suggested, I just wanted someone from Atari to tell me that in writing first. Plus the email contained the download in it, which made everything easier. I would send an actual email to Atari and let them know your problem.

Thanks.  I'm pretty mad about this.  Tried etcher and rufus to create a flash drive.  Neither one is recognized when I boot up the VCS.  Tried 3 different USB ports.  The VCS just boots up like it normally would.  I'm happy this worked for everyone else, but for me it does not.  This is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

Actually - after the blood stopped rushing to my head I gave this some more thought.  Thinking maybe the issue was my USB flash drive wasn't fitting properly in the USB slots, I tried it again only this time connected it via a 6 inch long USB extension cord.  It's flashing as I type this message.  :D

Edited by rennervision
  • Like 3

Been an Atari fan from the 2600.  
bout a VCS.  Set up went fine up to finding my wireless network.  I goofed something up when I entered my Wi-Fi pass word.  No no matter what I do my VCS  will not let me correct it. What can I do?

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Edited by WestTechNYC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rennervision said:

If you haven't done anything else with it yet to lose a lot of progress, I noticed you can factory reset it in the System tab.   (Under System there's also a screen for Network if you haven't already tried that.)

I have not been able to fully set it up so I won’t lose anything that important.  
Dont seee a system tab at all.   

• 10 months later...

I just received my new Atari VCS today…

I unboxed it & plugged in the controllers(not sure if the Bluetooth is recognizing the controllers/possibly they have to charge) but that’s not the problem I’m reaching out to you about right now. One of the first things I have to do is create a new account or sign into an existing account; and it’s not letting me.

I first tried creating a new account and the message I received is: “failed to fetch data, please click retry to try again”. So I must of clicked it over 100 times and it does the same thing; plus I get a message at the top that says: “something went wrong. Please try again later.” After wasting time creating a new account, I tried signing in as a guest and that doesn’t let me do anything…. so I got creative and used sign in with existing account(because I had to create an account with Atari in able to purchase my VCS; That asked me to enter my email which I did and hit next and all I hear is the fan running and at the top I get the message “something went wrong. Please try again later”….. Can you guys please give me a hand getting this thing running? 

On 1/4/2024 at 3:52 AM, HeadCheese1973 said:

Can you guys please give me a hand getting this thing running? 

You've probably gotten a console that was produced in the first and therefore has one of the very first versions of the atarios. Unfortunately, in this case, your console can't communicate with the server to update itself. For the moment, the only solution is to do it manually.

You have just to download the last update image here version 26112023 updated Dec11, 2023:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LPMwc_NeDrGLndBKLlHJ8Ojt25U_ef7Z/view?usp=sharing

and copy that on an usb stick with balena etcher. The video with the instructions is here : 

Edited by RadiATIon
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
If I go to 
General Settings
System Updates
Operating System 

Error
Update Failed 
An error occurred while checking for 
update.  Please Try Again.  
Version - 20210826.135839.production 
Build - P#1205

What is wrong with this thing?  How can it be fixed?

It never gets past step 1 of 4.

Seven pinned threads, and the answer to the question that comes up over and again isn't one of them. 

You'll need a separate pc, a wired usb keyboard, a usb stick, a link to the Atari firmware, and a program to write the firmware to that USB stick. If using a Windows PC, copy and paste rufus.ie into your web browser. That's a good/free program to write the firmware.

A link to the firmware (it's a google drive link) can be obtained via a pinned message in the Atari VCS discord. 

Easy to follow instructions for the process can be found here if you search (sorry, I don't have the exact thread handy.)

I just fixed this on a new machine this morning, but I remembered how to do it because I had to do it with my old machine when I got it. 

Edited by jesusc
  • Like 1