IGNORED

U1MB, Incognito, 1088XEL/XLD, SIDE, SIDE2 firmware 4.2 released

flashjazzcat

I'm pleased to (finally) announce the release of version 4.2 of my firmware for Incognito, Ultimate 1MB, SIDE, SIDE2, 1088XEL and 1088XLD.

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/

There's also an updated SIDE3 loader, as well as the updated SIDE Loader packaged for AVG's SIDE emulation mode.

Not a great deal has been added in terms of functionality, but everything has been updated to match the general look and feel of the new SIDE3 loader. I have fixed the Sophia 2 plugin (users reported lengthy black-screen pauses, and this was caused by a very nasty bug), and the U1MB BIOS now reports the hardware JED version correctly.

Needless to say, we should use this thread to discuss any issues or suggestions.

ss02.thumb.png.9242bb0c2cc06492105783245e2e2b27.png

ss08.thumb.png.3bc9326a02ec79ffbf4e2383401606b6.png

ss17.thumb.png.b988fce54c480bad57b11712a07a0f37.png

ss20.thumb.png.b96469698f456fb51c8dfec11e9ddff2.png

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 10

So many thanks Jon! 

Not having any issues yet (surprisingly!), mostly because I need to find some time to flash it and...

Yes, that's what I want to say, each time before flashing (my config is 130XE + U1MB + SIDE3) I need to triple check documentations on which options in either have to be on or off for safety. So, my question / request would be, perhaps demanding, a short list of absolute no-no configuration options (if there are any such) and preferred order of flashing in a small "pill" that is easy to remember. No procedures of any kind of which files to mount where, these we should know or know where to look them up.

@flashjazzcat Hi Jon, flashed U1M and Side3 fine, but when I tried the Incognito, I put the .ATR in D1:

but I get an error trying to read the disk, so I put the same .ATR as D1: in Altirra and confirms the disk image

is not right

This is the Altirra error

D5:>DIR D1:

144 Write protected or bad sector

on my 800 I get ERROR 140 SIO Framing Error

this is loaded into an S-Drive-Max, the .ATR loaded into D2: is fine (just a normal DOS disk)

so again, looks like the .ATR has some errors :(

Edited by TGB1718

43 minutes ago, woj said:

I need to triple check documentations on which options in either have to be on or off for safety. So, my question / request would be, perhaps demanding, a short list of absolute no-no configuration options (if there are any such) and preferred order of flashing in a small "pill" that is easy to remember. No procedures of any kind of which files to mount where, these we should know or know where to look them up.

That's why there's a readme file; there aren't any 'no go' configuration settings aside from not disabling flashing on the U1MB, but if there's anything I can add to the readme, let me know.

Edited by flashjazzcat

12 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

That's why there's a readme file; there aren't any 'no go' configuration settings aside from not disabling flashing on the U1MB, but if there's anything I can add to the readme, let me know.

Indeed. Just flashed everything with no problem. What was perhaps sitting in the back of my head was the need to turn off Basic for the (Side3 only?) flashing, and the note in the manual about flashing the U1MB firmware from a mounted ATR. Looked through the PDF (interestingly Google has found the link for me before you fixed it) and there is indeed nothing about any damaging configuration options. 

just flashed the new U1MB firmware to my 65XE (U1MB/VBXE). All good with the initial flash mounting the firmware.atr via SIO2PC from my laptop on ReespQt. U1MB fine. U1MBS3.rom used which has VBXE/SIDE3 plugin.

new u1mb firmware flashed.jpg

However as soon as I popped my SIDE3.1 cart (with the beta firmware), and booted up, where I moved around the menus all of a sudden I had screen glitching and crashing. Prior to the new U1MB firmware install earlier 
I've not had any issues with this SIDE3.1 cart. See images below.

I am not ruling out this 65XE as a possible issue as this machine doesn't yet have the 74F08 installed in place of the 74LS08.

I have another XE, a 130XE with just U1MB in it -so I'll flash the new U1MB firmware onto it and try and see if SIDE3.1 (beta loader) has similar issues.

side 3_1 with beta loader glitching with new u1mb firmware.jpg

side 3_1 with beta loader glitching with new u1mb firmware 2.jpg

just flashing my 130XE's U1MB now....

image.thumb.png.003053d8a60bd8c7e46e3745873d29af.png

EDIT: False alarm - see my posts below. Seems my 65XE has issues. No probs with my 130XE :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

20 minutes ago, woj said:

What was perhaps sitting in the back of my head was the need to turn off Basic for the (Side3 only?) flashing

Not BASIC, but the flasher should be run with the 'X' command under SDX since the tool only disables the SDX ROM on the SIDE3 (so would otherwise be unable to see the SIDE3 ROM if the U1MB SDX ROM - say - was in the way).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

It's hard to imagine any connection between the two since there are no functional differences in the U1MB firmware aside from the screen layout and the Sophia 2 plugin and JED version fixes. Even more so if you haven't updated the SIDE3 yet.

Two things to report:

Just flashed my 130XE's U1MB successfully, same way. U1MB working fine. Side3.1 cart with Beta loader plugged in - no menu glitching or crashing issues at all. (So assume it's my 65XE causing the earlier issues).

Second thing is that I didn't clock there was an updated Side3 loader to flash too. My bad - will do that now. :) (But just to confirm the beta loader is working fine too).

So I'd say all good re the new U1MB firmware from my end. Just need to sort my VBXE/U1MB 65XE

Thanks FJC :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

Yeah: I just double-checked a SIDE3 and SIDE3.1 (the latter wasn't updated with the new loader yet) on a 600XL with the latest U1MB firmware and there are no problems whatsoever, but - as I say - it's inconceivable that any of the changes to the U1MB firmware could make the SIDE3 loader crash. That 65XE certainly looks like a candidate for a Phi2 timing tweak (although it grieves me that such things are still necessary).

Still - where would we be without a few photos of crashing software to liven up the first page of a firmware update thread. :D

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

That 65XE certainly looks like a candidate for a Phi2 timing tweak (although it grieves me that such things are still necessary).

I agree. 74F08 on standby ;)

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Still - where would we be without a few photos of crashing software to liven up the first page of a firmware update thread. :D

Was this you a few mins who heh heh ;)

Futurama Accident GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Can't see a problem with the Incognito ATR at this end, having downloaded and extracted it.

Tried again, same problem, just wont load from an S-Drive, I finally got it to work by copying

onto the CF card, mounting in the Loader and booting to SDX, then it worked.

(I know, that's probably the correct way to do it :) )

45 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Just as before: Xilinx USB platform cable and the Impact programmer from the Xilinx web pack.

Thanks Jon,

Okay, before I used a Xilinx Parallel Programmer on XP which has died.  So now I need a USB programmer for Windows 7.

Will this be okay https://www.ebay.com/itm/404091603808