IGNORED

U1MB, Incognito, 1088XEL/XLD, SIDE, SIDE2 firmware 4.2 released

flashjazzcat

30 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

just wont load from an S-Drive

It's an odd-sized ATR, so presumably SDrive can't handle it.

31 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

I finally got it to work by copying

onto the CF card, mounting in the Loader and booting to SDX, then it worked.

That works fine as long as you follow the flashing sequence, otherwise you risk nuking access to the ATR before the update is done (although as it happens, that's not a problem with recent updates since the equates haven't changed for years, so you can flash the PBI BIOS while it's being used to access the disk image without breaking anything).

18 minutes ago, AtariGeezer said:

Yeah - that looks much like the one I bought and will work great with Win7. I run Impact on a Windows 7 VM, but I think the software can be coaxed into working with Win10 as well (but not Win11).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick postive update. I seemed to have fixed the 65XE Side3 loader crashing issue.

I did two things here, one of which may have fixed the crashing SIDE3 loader:

1) I had since flashed the latest version of the Side loader firmware to my Side3.1

image.thumb.png.b3d7bfe10296180f567ef095a4b73269.png

2) I installed the 100pf ceramic cap on the back the U1MB board. (I trick sometimes employed when installing U1MB in a 1200XL when having menu glitching issues (Note not always required))

BTW despite being a black PCB this is actually a new run U1MB board received recently. (Lotharek's latest run of boards have reverted back to black PCBs whereas prior to this in recent years they have been white).

image.thumb.png.a1b74c89034a4ab66f3d0db9c93ee8a0.png

What I neglected to do after flashing the Side3 cart firmware earlier, (and before adding the cap to the U1MB), was to see if the crashing occured still with the latest SIDE3 loader firmware flashed to the cart.

Anyways either way the upshot is my 65XE with U1MB and FJC's latest U1MB firmware is now fully working and crash free. ;)  

EDIT: Doh!! Spoke too soon! After playing around a bit loading games and demos I had a similar crash.

So I'll go ahead and install the 74F08 in place of the 74Ls08 at some stage over the next few days and see if that fixes the instability. It could be something else entirely of course.

Anyways I'll stop hijacking this thread heh heh! ;)

Edited by Beeblebrox

1 hour ago, AtariGeezer said:

Thanks Jon,

Okay, before I used a Xilinx Parallel Programmer on XP which has died.  So now I need a USB programmer for Windows 7.

Will this be okay https://www.ebay.com/itm/404091603808

Looks just like the one I have.  I thought I had used it too, but apparently the custom cable I made only fits my old parallel port programmer :(  Always something.

• Like 1

I've successfully flashed my U1MB in my 1088XLD to the latest 4.2 and also updated the loader.  Everything is working perfectly.

I did initially have an issue, I am only posting his here in case someone else does.  I tried to flash the latest 2048 byte VXX3 plugin provided in the zip to the BIOS plugin slot, and I get an error "incorrect size - expected 1kB".  I was using your ATR mounted via APE.  After checking again, I noticed that I was not hearing the SIO beeps when UFLASH was loading.  Turnd out, I had an older version in my $PATH variable.  Even though I typed "X UFLASH.XEX" from the A drive, it was loading the old version from my I:>TOOLKIT.  Just something to be aware of, I thought the command processor would search the currently logged drive 1st, and then iterate through the $PATH, but it seems to be the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Just something to be aware of, I thought the command processor would search the currently logged drive 1st, and then iterate through the $PATH, but it seems to be the opposite.

When you think about it, such behaviour would adversely affect performance, especially if the current directory contains a lot of files. A trailing semicolon in the path variable causes the current directory to be searched last (as per default behaviour), so be sure not to omit that.

• Thanks 1

So I'm getting issues with the flash. I've downloaded the firmware for my SIDE2. I've put the files on my CF card and loaded the UFLASH.XEX from the "ROM" folder I get the message "Unidentified Hardware. Select manually?". I have tried selecting the device to be SIDE2 and also Incognito - and get the error message "Device not present". 

Any tips to get the firmware updated?

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

3 hours ago, macsonny said:

So I'm getting issues with the flash. I've downloaded the firmware for my SIDE2. I've put the files on my CF card and loaded the UFLASH.XEX from the "ROM" folder I get the message "Unidentified Hardware. Select manually?". I have tried selecting the device to be SIDE2 and also Incognito - and get the error message "Device not present". 

Any tips to get the firmware updated?

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

Remind us again which A8 setup are you running this on? A stock machine or one with u1mb installed? Or are you running on an 800 with Incognito? If either an U1MB or incognito'D A8 are you running the spartados x from the machine or the one on the side2 cart? 

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Any problems with FujiNet? Someone reported the FN config suddenly no longer working, but I find this almost inconceivable since there have been no functional changes to the main BIOS whatsoever.

No problem at all (updated U1MB & Side3).

Maybe it is the beta version of the FN-firmware? There, the config-screen was broken, but with the one mozzwals released today everything works fine.

Thank you for your great work!

Edited by MichaG
  • Thanks 1

Upgraded my Incognito today! 

The link to the manual from the Incognito page doesn't work though

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ultimate-1MB-Incognito-1088XEL-1088XLD-SIDE-SIDE2-and-SIDE3-Firmware-Manual.pdf comes up file not found, but the link on the Ultimate page:

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ultimate-1MB-Incognito-and-1088XEL-U1MB-Firmware-Manual.pdf

does work.

Thanks again!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gozar said:

The link to the manual from the Incognito page doesn't work though

Thanks so much. Fixed.

1 hour ago, MichaG said:

Maybe it is the beta version of the FN-firmware? There, the config-screen was broken, but with the one mozzwals released today everything works fine.

That's good to hear. Here's the issue report I received:

After installing the new version 4.20 firmware U1MB and SIDE3, FujiNet stopped working. More specifically: FujiNet won't start its Config after reboot and Atari freezes. After returning the U1MB and SIDE3 firmware to version 4.05, Fujinet works.

This is bewildering, since FN is an SIO device and no SIO operations are actually carried out by the U1MB firmware (the OS - which boots after the firmware hands over - is responsible for SIO), and the PBI BIOS (which handles high-speed SIO) underwent no changes other than a version bump to sync with the rest of the firmware.

Thinking about it, though, the fact the user simultaneously upgraded and downgraded the SIDE3 cartridge without establishing which firmware caused the differing behaviour (and without specifiying which SIDE3 loader versions or SDX builds were used) suggests that it's the loader update which is (somehow) causing his issue.

Well, I finally dug the FujiNet someone sent me years ago out of the drawer and plugged it into a 600XL with the latest U1MB and SIDE3 firmware, disabled SDX, powered on, and the FN network selection screen came up. Connected to the network, rebooted, and the FN drive slot menu came up. The FN has extremely old firmware (and I'm sufficiently interested to update it and actually give the device a proper try now), but I'm seeing no problems so far.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

There's another ROM in the way, presumably. What other upgrades are present in the machine?

I have a video upgrade installed and FujiNet. Oh, and it's a 65XE that I took up to 128 k. Assume none of those would be "getting int he way"?

1 hour ago, macsonny said:

I have a video upgrade installed and FujiNet. Oh, and it's a 65XE that I took up to 128 k. Assume none of those would be "getting int he way"?

@macsonnyAh I think it is a ram issue. Uflash won't run on 128k.

Good news is if you see FJCs video below, (where I've set it to start at the point in the video you want), it talks you through flashing SIDE2 from SIO, (eg SIO2PC), on an A8 with less than 1MB ram. In fact he flashes it as if running on a stock 64k machine.

You essentially use the DLT flasher, (SIDE2.COM). But you need something like an SIO2PC to mount the large ATR, (side2_full_oss_carts.atr)

(BTW the same video goes through several ways of flashing SIDE2 and explains things).

I got this from: https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/side/

EDIT: I just flashed my SIDE2 cart on a stock 64K 800XL attached to my Windows 11 laptop with SIO2PC where I had the side2_full_oss_carts.atr mounted in RESPEQT as drive 1 following the video above.

It takes a while as it loads from the mounted ATR in RESPEQT via the SIO2PC the data and flashes the banks one at a time.

The only  way you can flash off the SIDE2's CF flash card itself using Uflash is with a 1MB upgraded A8 because of the size of the ATRs, ROMs, etc we are talking about loading into memory here.

SIO2PCs are relatively cheap to buy. I got mine in the UK for around £25.

The video shows several other methods as I say so worth watching it all from the start of the SIDE2 flashing related chapters of the video, (video is indexed which is helpful).

My SIDE2 cart flashed:

image.thumb.png.134320fc64d20271cc1fa6e769ad742d.png

Edited by Beeblebrox

I have a couple side 3 carts. I successfully updated the JED on two of them, but the third failed. I tried to re-flash it and it failed again. It got to the verify part both times but no luck. Is there anyway to flash it with a JTAG and USB programmer? It's pretty dead right now. 

Edited by Frankie

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I have a couple side 3 carts. I successfully updated the JED on two of them, but the third failed. I tried to re-flash it and it failed again. It got to the verify part both times but no luck. Is there anyway to flash it with a JTAG and USB programmer? It's pretty dead right now. 

As per the warning in the readme file, the only way to recover a failed JED update is to send the cartridge to a trusted third-party: so far, that's me and tf_hh. Reason being that the author of the JED is unwilling to publish it in the wake of recent illegitimate hardware clones.

9 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

As per the warning in the readme file, the only way to recover a failed JED update is to send the cartridge to a trusted third-party: so far, that's me and tf_hh. Reason being that the author of the JED is unwilling to publish it in the wake of recent illegitimate hardware clones.

I thought I had it... I was able to use U1MB to go into SDX, then connect APE to run the s3jed13.xex, but it responded with SIDE3 not present! So, who is closer to the US?