IGNORED

installing a gotek need help

howerton

I have been having trouble with my gotek I twisted the st ribbon cable upside down and connected like I heard here before. The gotek said cable my be upside down. Is this correct? I have a 1040stfm and I am running a TOS of 1.02 or below. Also what files do I need to put on my usb thumb drive to get it to run? I have flashfloppy 3.30 installed on my gotek.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and thank you to all the forum members who have helped me before.

You need to make sure pin 1 on the ST ribbon goes to to pin 1 on the gotek it's usually

red or blue colour one end of the cable.

I would assume if the gotek is saying it's upside down, then it probably is :)

You should be able to just copy disk images onto the gotek and use the selector

to load whatever you want.

There is a config file that you can put on the root of the gotek to change the way it works

it's reasonably easy to change, there's lots of info in the config file to tell you what each

parameter does.

48 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I thought I'd read somewhere that you must be running TOS 1.4 or higher to use a Gotek. I'm not 100% certain that that is actually the case, but I know I've read it somewhere at some point over the years.

If someone else knows this to not be true, please pipe in.

Only thing I can say for sure, is I used an old version HxC emulator from 2001 with TOS 1.0.  I cannot comment on Gotek (or Goex) because that ST now has TOS 1.4 in it.  However, the same SD card from the HxC is what I am using in the Goex drive, and I did not change any files or config.

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I thought I'd read somewhere that you must be running TOS 1.4 or higher to use a Gotek. I'm not 100% certain that that is actually the case, but I know I've read it somewhere at some point over the years.

Not at all. Gotek is a floppy emulator at the hardware level. You can use any TOS, or custom OS for that matter, you want.

Now, the firmware has an optional mode that downloads a menu to the computer. This menu, conceivable, in theory, might not work with some TOS versions. In practice I know that with both FF and HxC firmware, it works fine with TOS 1.0

• Like 1

I bought a Goex some time back and had the same issues you saw, couldn't get it to work no matter what,

you could see the access LED light, but that's all, I even used a scope on all the signal lines and it all looked

good, in the end I put it down to it just doesn't work and just put it to one side and almost forgot about it.

I did contact the supplier, but he couldn't help initially, he eventually said send it back, (over a year later)

he sent a replacement which worked straight out of the box, just my luck to have a duff one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious: How do you put in the Gotek in your 1040? As it's not possible with the original Gotek case without major modifications on the Atari case!

If you've used a specific 3D-printed STF frame (ebay, thingiverse), there's no need for twisting the ribbon cable, as the Gotek PCB is placed upside down.

I did just what you said for my 1040STE installation. I printed a custom mount that I downloaded from thingiverse, took my Gotek board out of its case and installed it into my mount and it mounted perfectly in my 1040 with no case modifications. I also used similar mounts to install one in a 1040STF that I plan to eventually sell, and another into a SF354 case that I sold with a 520STM a couple of years ago.