IGNORED

Model 1 Saturn in Model 2 case?

I have a VA1 Sega Saturn (USA model, a perfect pairing with my Model 2 Japanese one :D ) with a pretty beat up enclosure - some of the screws mounts were broken by the previous owner and it's basically just held together by a single screw, plus it looks pretty rough. I got it cheap.

I feel like mentioning the revision is important because the power supply is not attached to the top of the case like it is on the VA0. Because of that, I think (?!) that I could get one of those replacement transparent shells for the Saturn and stick my console in there. Does anybody know if it would fit? I know the button shape is different but the replacement cases come with new buttons. The bigger question is whether the motherboard fits and whether all the ports line up on the back, the CD drive fits, etc. Does anybody know for sure? 

Otherwise I will pick up a dead Saturn model 1 and transplant this one into a nicer shell. That's a cheaper option but I always feel bad about taking apart a console that could possibly be repaired. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

• 2 months later...

It *should* fit since some early model 2s had VA4 and VA5 boards which are similar in arrangement to the VA1-VA3 boards found in some model 1s, right down to having the controller ports on a separate PCB (my own JP model 2 is just like this). The only major difference is that the model 2 lacks the drive access LED on the model 1, but I think if you remove the light pipe it should be fine. I'm not sure if the light pipe for the power LED will fit but it might be worth a shot. 

• Like 1

Probably worth a shot, yeah. If it was a VA0 with the power supply in the top case I would definitely think it's a no go. I just wanted to see if anybody had done it, since I don't actually have a model 2 here myself. The light pipe is what I was concerned about, too, but if I buy a dead model 2 it will presumably have the right light pipe. 

Then again, I saw a couple of dead Model 1 USA variants on eBay that I can get for less than the cost of any of the Japanese model 2s I see on eBay right now, since they're all in Japan. Hmm.