IGNORED

All Of A Sudden Negative Bytes of ROM in Bank 1

KevKelley

So I was working on some games today and I decided to load up a couple old projects, both of which are either done completely or almost done and worked last time I ran them. 

One a standard kernel bB with no blank lines and the other DPC+. 

To my surprise when I tried to compile both of them they failed saying there were -43 and -30 bytes free in Bank 1. I am trying to figure out what exactly caused this change from the last time I worked on them. 

I need to try to dig deeper on this but I ran out of time on my break so I am pushing this to the forums to see if anyone has an idea as to what might be the cause. 

Luckily I had already compiled and have a finished .bin of one but what has me confused is the DPC+ one only had a goto, a couple variables, and a couple dims and constant definitions in it so how could that go over?!

10 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Maybe it's a difference of bB versions between compiles if they have been dormant for that long? I'd be willing to take a look if you like to see if I see anything odd.

I hadn’t updated bB and as far as I know it doesn’t update automatically . My last file was from December when it last worked but I think this last month the only thing I think I did was mess with the score on another program. My understanding was that score graphics go in last bank but I saw in the files that there is a bit of code in front of the score sprites which made me wonder. 

I am gonna try to figure it out tonight or tomorrow to see if I can get it to revert and maybe post a file or screenshot or even try it on my laptop that I had not used in a month. 

I have had that happen before in the past when I may have added one little line and it goes over. In this instance I literally opened up the game and compiled and it failed. The only thing I could think of is I messed with the score for another game. So if I revert that file back to the original and it still doesn’t work I’ll have a better idea. 

And to check I loaded up numerous saves and not just the last one from December and they all had issues. I think I had one work that was a real early version and was not as large. 

I am going to copy the .bas over to another computer and check to see if it works. If not I’ll post some

Okay.  So before I pull out my old laptop and test on it I decided to just test and see if I copy a different score_graphics from one of my backup folders into the folder if it would make a difference.

So when I tried to compile yesterday I got this message:

segment:  1fd4          eqm       vs current org: 1ff2
 free ram: 0
 DPC free RAM= 603
      -30 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1

C:\Users\User\Desktop\GAME PROJECTS\LINE MAN\LINE MAN\LM_2023_01_25.bas.asm (1427): error: Origin Reverse-indexed.

Errors were encountered during assembly.

And with the copied score_graphics I got this:

--- Unresolved Symbol List
splash.asm               0000 ????         (R )
scoretable               0000 ????         (R )

DPC free RAM= 603
      17 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
      714 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
      1300 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3
      455 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4
      3289 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5
      3919 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6
      1956 bytes of ROM space left in graphics bank

so since I saw a change I downloaded the score_graphics from the github and compiled again and got this:

DPC free RAM= 603
      17 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
      714 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
      1300 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3
      455 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4
      3289 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5
      3919 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6
      1956 bytes of ROM space left in graphics bank

Everything worked!

I think what happened is that when I was testing a custom score font for a program I accidentally copied the wrong file and screwed it up also screwing with my backup file at the same time!

Thank you @bogax and @Karl G.  I always try to solve these things before coming to the forums.  Right at the end of my break yesterday I went to show a coworker these files and I got slapped with this error with two minutes to kind of figure it out. The only change that I remembered making that was not game specific was the score but on the off chance someone more skilled in this had a quicker fix.  I spent a few hours stressing over this while I finished my shift and by the time I finished up I was too tired to think about it. lol

So now I gotta try to safeguard my games in the future from my screwups.  

If I include the score_graphics file in the project folder would the game then use that one?

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Yes; bB looks for customized files in the same directory as your source file.

Great! I know I had thrown included for other stuff into my project directories but never really messed with the score. Now I will do that whenever I have a need. 

I didn’t really think about it too much before because I usually use the same font but I changed up the font recently on one project without thinking. 

• Like 1