IGNORED

tunnels of doom strategy

bradhig1

I first played Tunnels of Doom on my uncle's TI994a years ago.  Now I am playing it through gamebase.   I won one game of quest for the king with one floor however must of the time I run out of arrows ,characters get killed with no healing left , and quest items get destroyed.  Any good strategies for winning.

• Like 1

You can go back to the top level, or 3rd? maybe 4th? and re-supply. 

Having food allows slow automatic healing. 

In combat, I always gang up on 1 monster at a time to reduce the number of attacks they get per round.

You can re-arrange your party so the ranged members are behind the close combat folks. 

You can run-away.

• Like 1

Good day!

The General Store is on the top floor, 4th floor, and 8th floor. In my opinion it's a good idea to give your team good close range weapons for the front row and good ranged weapons for the back row when you first start. Don't buy too many arrows at first and don't forget to buy rations. After getting a few hundred gold pieces or at least before going to the second floor, go back to the General Store and load up on Armor, better weapons, and more arrows.

As stated above, try to single target enemies when you can. It's best to kill an enemy than have four or five weakened ones.

Your timer is based on steps taken (in the hallway, not battle), hidden doors checked (I think only in the hallway, not in rooms), and maybe? doors listened to. If anyone knows for sure please let me know. So try to make your path as straight forward as possible, try not to back track the best you can. The sooner you can find the map, the better you can be at planning out the best route to hit the rooms you need. You only need to find the map in order to go to the next level, but I try to clear as many rooms as I can to find new equipment, new magic, and to gain experience. Walking so many steps uses a ration, these heal you, but don't just walk around in circles using that as a way to heal if it would be faster (step wise) to go to a General Store and buy Healing.

I find it best to BUST into doors, not just walk in. That way your whole party is in the room, nobody has to move out of the way to let your other members in. If you go into the room expecting to flee, walking in would still be your best bet.

I don't use the fountain or living statue, so maybe others can give advice on that.

How is your party configured? Four players? How many of each class? Always keep the best armored characters in the front so the monsters will miss their attacks more often. 

• Like 4

I used the fountains regularly. They were often invaluable for the success of the mission with deeper dungeons.

Here is a great FAQ I came across not too long ago when I was looking for instructions, as it had been a while since I last played.  There might be a few mild spoilers regarding the items and such.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ti99/946871-tunnels-of-doom/faqs/78980/introduction

• Like 4